xbmc and two routers
Dragonschild Wrote:I recently set my htpc up with two network connections ( one wired and one wireless), the reason is because one connection has an internet connection and the other is for my network storage. The problem I am having is that even though I have the wireless internet connection set up XBMC will not allow me to use it along with the storage network connection. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting that I missed in XBMC. Please help me Sad

i do this for my blu-ray player which doesnt have wifi: ()
Code:
[liveuser@localhost ~]$ cat masq.ksh
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.10.255
   iptables --flush            
   iptables --table nat --flush
   iptables --delete-chain    
   iptables --table nat --delete-chain
   iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth1 -j MASQUERADE
   iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
route add  -net 192.168.10.0  netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.5.1 dev eth0

eth0 is my xbmc ethernet card connected to my blu-ray player via crossover cable.
eth1 is my xbmc wifi adapter connected to my netgear router upstairs.

and then put in the settings for my blu-ray player:
ip: 192.168.10.105
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.10.101
dns: 192.168.5.1 (my netgear router)

sorry, i see from your previous post that you are running windows... have you considered giving xbmc-live a try ?
^ also are you able to navigate both networks outside of xbmc (if the networks arent available then xbmc wont be able to connect to it) ?
i assume you are using xbmc-live ?

edit: sorry, i forgot i already responded to this post. but please still let us know if you can see both networks before xbmc starts. my understanding is that if the operating system can access both resources then any software that runs on it (e.g.- xbmc) should be able to use those resources -- i.e.- the software should be agnostic as to whether it is reading from an internet source over wifi or a thru an ethernet cable or an internal ide ribbon. as long as the resource is available and able to be navigated to.
npggefvert Wrote:Forgive the blunt nature of this question, but are you accessing the internet from someone else's WiFi network?

Great question lol
Its for sure that's what he is doing. Grabbing a connect from a wireless ap somewhere and using his home network seperately. We should just say hes "sharing" a connection.

Best way to solve this is DDWRT.......HANDS DOWN

You want it fixed and working this is what you need:
2 linksys wrt54g...there are a few versions out but any will work
Install DDWRT firmware

Set One as a Repeater...this can be wireless access from "friends house"
You can mount this on the wall or mount it where ever the connection to the internet is the strongest

Setup a virtual wifi ssid " MY HOME" and secure it with a password

You will now have a router which repeats the internet connection to a personal wifi ssid.
now your router will have a ip from your friends connect (WAN) and an internal ip (LAN) which you set. set it at 192.168.40.1

Take the other router set it to an address that's within the first routers scope
set it at 192.168.40.2 and instead of a repeater you will set this as a repeater bridge. You will have to enter the ssid and key for "MY HOME" and voila

Now this is what will happen.

The repeater bridge is your internal network but when you access the internet it will route accordingly to the repeater or the completely wireless router.

I hope that makes sense and I have a bunch of routers so I checked this to make sure it would work and it does Smile.

ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER LESSON WE WILL GET INTO ACCESSING LOCKED WEPS WITH DDWRT
for others you can also take the linksys or any ddwrt firmware router
and use it to connect any ethernet non wireless devices and make it a wireless device.

I have used this a friends homes for many things from media players to fta boxes to anything with a rj45 and convert it to wireless yes even game stations.

Just set the router as a repeater bridge enter your ssid and key give it a restart .

YOU BASICALLY MADE A HIGH GAIN WIRELESS ADAPTER.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc and two routers0