Slow on Wake
I'm running Wondows 7 on a Zacate platform build with 8gb ram. This goes to sleep as normal. but when I wake it up using the MCE remote, on a relatively recent nightly, I see a few minutes minimum where the home gui runs pretty slowly. I haven't turned on DDS or anything so not sure why this is happening. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Am I the only one seeing this?
No. I have had issues in the past with this as well. I mainly was experiencing very choppy playback after resume.

I wound up having to set things up so that XBMC automatically restarts when the PC wakes from sleep using a script I found here in the forums. When I have a second, I'll see if I can find it and point you in the right direction.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
TechLife Wrote:No. I have had issues in the past with this as well. I mainly was experiencing very choppy playback after resume.

I wound up having to set things up so that XBMC automatically restarts when the PC wakes from sleep using a script I found here in the forums. When I have a second, I'll see if I can find it and point you in the right direction.

I though of doing that, possibly with eventghost. Just means it doesn't wake to the same place, but I could probably live with that.

WOuld be great if you could let me know which script you used.

Then the last thing to solve will be me having to replug my mce receiver afte a reboot for the ehome driver to load.
OK, so I thought it was a script but it wasn't. I think I may have tried one for a while but I found this much more reliable: Hibernate Trigger. It's a tiny program that does exactly what it says it does.

There is a fair amount of discussion on this topic in the forums. Some of the most popular that I have found can be found by simply entering 'hibernate trigger' as a search term. From what I understand, this is a DirectX issue for which a fix has yet to be found.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
I have the same most of the time I wake the pc I get chopy playback of movies but a xbmc shutdown reload fixed it. This is on a new sandy bridge platform with a ati card

So this is not a xbmc problem but a directx problem ?

Will hibernate trigger work on win7 and how do u use it I mean would u close xbmc then put the
Computer into hibernate ? Or do u just use the hibernate option in xbmc and when u wake the pc it will shutdown xbmc and reload it

Thanks for any help.
meridius Wrote:Will hibernate trigger work on win7 and how do u use it I mean would u close xbmc then put the
Computer into hibernate ? Or do u just use the hibernate option in xbmc and when u wake the pc it will shutdown xbmc and reload it

I am on Win7x64 and it works fine.

I have my PC set to sleep, not hibernate. You can't wake it from hibernate with the remote but you can from sleep. To shut down the system, I simply press the power button on the remote for my PC and it goes to sleep. Then when I turn it back on, I simply press the power button again. The PC wakes up and XBMC is loaded fresh. No lag, no stutter.

Please read the page I linked above and you will understand how "Hibernate Trigger" works. This is a quote from the page that pretty much says it all:
Quote:Hibernate Trigger is a small program that will detect whenever the system is put into suspend or hibernation mode. When the system starts going into suspend, Hibernate Trigger will halt the Suspend operation and execute a command of your choice. Also, when the system resumes, hibernate will execute a command of your choice.

As you'lll see when you install "Hibernate Trigger", it needs two things to work: What you want executed on suspend, what you want executed on wake.

For suspend, create a batch file with the following contents:
Code:
C:\Windows\Syswow64\TaskKill /F /IM xbmc.exe
timeout /T 3

I named my bat file "Kill XBMC.bat" and saved it in the XBMC directory so I have the following in the "on suspend" box of Hibernate Trigger:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\Kill XBMC.bat"
(Make sure you save it as a bat file not a txt file or it won't work. You can do this in notepad, just show extensions in windows so you can change the file type after)

Then, we just have to reload on wake so I have the following in the "on resume" box:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\xbmc.exe" -p

Works like a champ!
Thanks

I use xbmc option suspend when I put the computer to sleep. Is at option i can use is it the same ?
meridius Wrote:Thanks

I use xbmc option suspend when I put the computer to sleep. Is at option i can use is it the same ?

I *think* so. I haven't tried it to know for sure but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Give it a try!
cheers will let you know how i get on this weekend

your post above runs the same bat file in suspend and on resume is this correct as they both will run the same bat file that terminates it ? i would of thought on resume you would look for the location of the xbmc.exe and not the bat file ? or am i wrong

thanks again
@TechLife: I followed your instruction but xbmc won't restart after wake up. any ideas what's wrong? I can see the batch window after wake but when it disappears nothing happens.
TechLife Wrote:I named my bat file "Kill XBMC.bat" and saved it in the XBMC directory so I have the following in the "on suspend" box of Hibernate Trigger:
Code:
(Make sure you save it as a bat file not a txt file or it won't work. You can do this in notepad, just show extensions in windows so you can change the file type after)

Then, we just have to reload on wake so I have the following in the "on resume" box:
Code:

Works like a champ!

There is a mistake in his instructions - the "on resume" command should be XBMC.exe (eg. c:\program files (x86)\xbmc\xbmc.exe), or if you run in portable mode, then create a batch file called Start XBMC.bat as follows:

Code:
"c:\program files (x86)\xbmc\xbmc.exe" -p

and use that as the "on resume" command.
Works perfect, thx
Oops. You're right. Missed that...cut and paste one too many times. Sorry.

Fixed in original post.
side note. Make sure the "use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" option under (settings>system>video output) is disabled to prevent the taskbar from popping up which will not allow the remote control to work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow on Wake0