Advice for another build
Hello all!

I am a fairly seasoned XBMC on windows user and have a question concerning best hardware for a new build. Right now I have 2 XBMC devices:
  • Core 2 Duo E6400, Radeon 5570, 4GB RAM - Runs double duty as family room htpc and file server on windows 7
  • Jailbroke Apple TV2 in the bedroom

I am in process of building a media server and need to add a 3rd htpc in our recently remodeled basement family room. It wont be used as often as the main family room but I want full access to the media libraries with 1080p capability so another Apple TV2 is out.

I have used the Foxconn nt330i in the past with XBMC Live and it just wasnt quite peppy enough, compared to both the core 2 duo and ATV2 units, the menus weren't as fast and just seemed slightly laggy. Are the newer ION/ION2 systems more responsive?

Finally a build idea Ive been throwing around is to try a Foxconn H67S with a Celeron G530 CPU. Im considering using XBMC Live or Openelec on an 8GB SSD to keep the overhead as low as possible. This unit will strictly be a htpc.
  • Is anyone running a build similar to this?
  • Is the Intel HD graphics sufficient or should I be prepared to use a discrete graphics card?
  • If so what is recommended?
  • Any other caveats I should be aware of?
  • Can anyone recommend a better sub $250 build

Thanks in advance for you advice!
read the forum stickies Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for another build0