Ubuntu on Mac Mini 2010 with XBMC
Hi Guys,

I have been a user of XBMC since last 6 years or so.. but just recently switched to Ubuntu over Mac Mini due to bad performance in OSX.

I have audio over toslink / Graphics / Auto Start etc all working on Ubuntu 14.04 for XBMC.

But am just unable to get the Apple Remote working properly on it. Weirdly, XBMC has Volume UP / Down working with the remote and nothing else; that to only for XBMC user. Doing the same with another local account does not have any input at all..

Trying irw show no input at all.. Gnome-lirc-properties does not even work.. so am basically clueless..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so please bear with me.. Smile
I'm using a Macbook pro with Ununtu 14.04. Try the links and suggestions in this thread
Julian,

You are a lifesaver Smile

Got Apple Remote working properly.. Though am not so sure how to reduce the cpu usage a little more for the atvclient.

Have you found out how to start XBMC through Remote ?

I have currently XBMC starting on boot for now..

And Grub looks so bad on boot up..
yes.. I never really sorted out booting properly..
Mine is quite slow to boot, and also looks pitiful until xbmc starts.
I haven't tried using the remote during login.. I installed ubuntu server, so I dont have the desktop installed.

reducing atvclient cpu isn't essential.. just need to download and compile the above linked libusb compatibility layer code, install it and then update the script that starts atvclient so that it uses the bridge.
I Tried using ubuntu Server, but then i deferred. I went for LUbuntu which is much lighter than ubuntu desktop..

Grub does look awful. Completed the libusb compiling and fixes.. someone should really keep a ppa for this.. Smile

By the way what is the usual CPU % used by xbmc ? Mine eats around 15-20 % doing nothing.

Is there any mod / fix so that we can do Network related functions like connecting to Wifi etc from XBMC itself ? Something akin to openelec ?

I tried everything i could to boot xbmcbuntu but no avail.. Openelec was really bad in CIFS transfer rates which i need to stream from my FreeNAS box.
doing nothing with my TV off and after the UI blanks out, xbmc.bin on my laptop sits at about 2-3% on average.
with the UI active it uses more. When watching most movies, it uses very little CPU, but that may depend on your GPU.

Sorry.. Cant help with wifi from xbmc. I configure my networking using /etc/network/interfaces.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu on Mac Mini 2010 with XBMC0