• 5(current)
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms
i can recommend the installation of XBMC + XBMC-Live from

https://launchpad.net/~alexandr-surkov/+archive/xbmc

and then to build XBMC from alanwww1 Git

with

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vaapi --enable-libbluray

You will have to install libva-dev to build.
This will replace the XBMC.

Then shutdown and all stuff from live works perfectly. The autostart skips from post 1 are not needed with XBMC live.
Krautmaster Wrote:i can recommend the installation of XBMC + XBMC-Live from

https://launchpad.net/~alexandr-surkov/+archive/xbmc

Which version are you using from there? I see there's one for each of lucid to oneiric.

Thanks
Thanks a lot alanwww1 for this tutorial!

Now with your help i have xbmc and vaapi working with my Pentium G620T and my asus P8H61-I.

I just have a little problem : i can't play any video with 5.1 sound inside. Everytime XBMC said to me "Failed to initialize audio". Do you have an idea about that?

I am on Xubuntu 11.10!

Thanks
rbrohman Wrote:Which boards did you have issues with? I'm on an Asus P8H67M LE (with latest BIOS update) and I can't get the suspend/resume working. The PC seems to go down, but when I attempt to resume (from the power button), the system only seems to partially wake - fans come on, power to peripherals, but nothing on screen, doesn't accept any input, and can't ssh in either.

What troubleshooting steps exist for this type of issue?

Thanks

It was an MSI board. I ended up buying an Intel board. Normally by now all the BIOS upgrade should already include the needed firmware update to have it working.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
gerardpuducul Wrote:Thanks a lot alanwww1 for this tutorial!

Now with your help i have xbmc and vaapi working with my Pentium G620T and my asus P8H61-I.

I just have a little problem : i can't play any video with 5.1 sound inside. Everytime XBMC said to me "Failed to initialize audio". Do you have an idea about that?

I am on Xubuntu 11.10!

Thanks

Just try to check what device you have available and use it in xbmc sound configuration. Also fool around with the speaker number settings. Try to set them to 2.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=944...stcount=47

Also you can search the forums. There is plenty of info on this problem.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Great guide, thanks!

Will all this become unnecessary when Eden is released? In other words, will Eden have built in HW acceleration for Intel integrated graphics?
Tenagra Wrote:Great guide, thanks!

Will all this become unnecessary when Eden is released? In other words, will Eden have built in HW acceleration for Intel integrated graphics?

Yes, but you will still need the other steps to make it work. Hopefully we will have Oneiric builds there so that we can remove the soname symlink part and manually editing the apt file.

The more simplified will be with Ubuntu 12.04 with an updated kernel or maybe only with Ubuntu 12.11 where the EDID CEA mode detection patched kernel will be in the stable Ubuntu repository.

I will constantly update the guide if anything gets more simplified.
Good news: vdrfan enabled Oneiric builds in the unstable ppa.
This means
  • Libblurax so-name fix not needed anymore
  • We can replace Natty back to Oneiric in the xbmc apt file.

I cleared the unneeded lines from the guide.
If you previously used my guide and modified at xbmc apt line please revert back changing the natty text there with oneiric:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-unstable-oneiric.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After this vc1 decoding with vaapi will work a lot better. But only with the oneiric builds !

Also note that the vc1 fix was commited to mainline and in the Oneiric builds so there is no sense using my github branch anymore !!!
alanwww1 Wrote:It was an MSI board. I ended up buying an Intel board. Normally by now all the BIOS upgrade should already include the needed firmware update to have it working.

Ok, thanks. While searching for solutions, I found a post of yours, https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35462

In that thread (and others) I see numerous indications that Asus is having this exact issue with a large range of their P67 and H67 boards. The latest firmware/BIOS update doesn't resolve for most people, so it seems that it's the waiting game right now.

Would you please post the exact model of your Intel board (or the board you've had the most success with, if not the Intel). I'm at the point where I just need to get this build up and running, so if it means buying another (a third sandy bridge!) board, so be it.

Thanks
Hi there,

great guide, worked like a charm for me.
I have used renniewaldock ppa for installing xbmc....

Everything seems to work fine except shutting down or restarting.
When i press shut down, it reloads xbmc without a full reboot.
When i press restart, it also just re-loads xbmc without a full reboot.

Any idea what this might be? Could it be a renniewaldock problem or has it got to do with your autostart scripts?

I have written a guide myself (30 pages so far) which got some of your samples included. In my guide i have included installing sabnzbd, sickbeard, virtualbox, mysql and phpmyadmin. If you care to have a look, pm me..
gollumscave Wrote:Any idea what this might be? Could it be a renniewaldock problem or has it got to do with your autostart scripts?

Could also be my startup script. Why do you not use the official ppa ?
Not using the official one cause at the time i started this guide for the first time, the nightlies for oneiric (11.10) weren't there yet...
They are now.. am installing from scratch now with official nightly...

Will update soon
gollumscave Wrote:Not using the official one cause at the time i started this guide for the first time, the nightlies for oneiric (11.10) weren't there yet...
They are now.. am installing from scratch now with official nightly...

Will update soon

Well my guide was including a workaround for that, but that is not needed now :-)
ok finished the installation (a while ago...)...

It seems to be partially an issue with the renniewaldock build.
restart makes the machine restart, the post screen is showing so a clean reboot.
The shutdown does not shutdown the machine. It does a reload of xbmc, no post screen.
The suspend puts the machine to suspend after about 1 sec. very fast. It however doesn't seem to wake up properly, but I think i read somewhere that was a ubuntu oneiric problem.
The Hibernate function seems to function as a shutdown... After resuming from hibernate, the machine just does a clean roboot with post.

If you need more info, please let me know?
Suspend works fine for me with no problem at all. For reboot I always do it with ssh so I have not tried.

I can't help anymore. If you can find out the solution, please let us know so I can update the guide if unnecessary.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms2