• 6(current)
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms
i'll dive into it...
you may want to try adding package policykit-desktop-privileges
lcapriotti Wrote:you may want to try adding package policykit-desktop-privileges

Thanks Luigi ! I'll try it !
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Like i said in previous post, i am VERY content with this guide. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and have learned a lot last 2 - 3 weeks.
1 question however in relation to this guide and the hardware...

It's based on sandy bridge i assume.... it works perfect on my i3 (with exception of aforementioned restart/shutdown problems). I have another system running an asus p5q premium with P45 chipset.
after the server installation is finished, (mini, regular 32/64 bit, all of them) and the system requests a restart, it will only display a distorted line in the middle of the screen. As if it can't detect videocard. I've tried this with a Gforce GTX275 and a nvidei 8400 as well.

What do I have to change in the guide to make it run on an nvidia based cared and intel p45 chipset?
The desktop version does work! i however do not have audio in there Sad
any ideas?
gollumscave Wrote:What do I have to change in the guide to make it run on an nvidia based cared and intel p45 chipset?
The desktop version does work! i however do not have audio in there Sad
any ideas?

This guide is only for Intel Sandy Bridge and above. For Nvidia there are other good guides you can find on this forum.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I installed this xbmc with the full oneiric installation (h67 + i2500k). It worked well after tweaking the sound and creating new modes for 24 p playback.

But I have a problem. When I installed oneiric, the sound preferences offered me a hdmi 5.1 surround for election ( connected to a vga monitor). When I connect the pc to the amp (onkyo 608) that connects to a epson projector (1080p) I no longer get the 5.1 option for hdmi.
I try to modify the eld file (that shows only 2 speakers, but I have 5.1) but it says that access is denied.

I also have to select 2.0 speakers in hdmi in xbmc in order to get 5.1. With passthrough activated the dts and dd work well. The dts-ma takes the dts core (I can live with that) but lpcm of more than 2 channels and dolby true hd maps to a 2.0 configuration.

I'm a total noob. Maybe if I close the x server, I could modify the eld file.
chimpin Wrote:I also have to select 2.0 speakers in hdmi in xbmc in order to get 5.1. With passthrough activated the dts and dd work well. The dts-ma takes the dts core (I can live with that) but lpcm of more than 2 channels and dolby true hd maps to a 2.0 configuration.

I'm a total noob. Maybe if I close the x server, I could modify the eld file.

Hi !

If you are totally noob. I'd suggest leaving HDMI at 2.0 and have 5.1 audio with passthrough. 5.1 lpcm currently would only be useful if you have a non-passthrough-able track. Eg. WMA 5.1.

Passthrough of DTS-MA is not yet implemented in xbmc. Expected only in future (post-Eden) releases.

In the future (when the 3.2 kernel will be default in Ubuntu (12.04 earliest) you won't need to tweak the eld configuration at all. It is already implemented in upstream kernels.
Thanks for the answer. I followed your other threads about sandy bridge and I was able to compile the whole thing. But right now it's way easier.

Yesterday 12/11/11 I started the pc without the amp and then the 5.1 option internal option was available. But the amp osd was purple (yeah it's weirdEek) and it didn't show a rgb signal from the pc.
With this configuration I was able to get lpcm 5.1 of a dolby truehd. But the video was strange (a green halo when moving fast over menus).

So the problem is clear, but the solution it's not. In my case the edid handshake it's a PITA.Stare

I don't have problems using dts core (I'm not so purist) but I have a few concerts with 5.1 lpcm and some movies with dolby true hd that I can't hear with 5.1 sound. I'd appreciate a decoding of dts-ma to lpcm 5.1 (as my ps3 fat does).

I'm not talking about frequency (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176,4 and 192) and bits per sample (16 or 24) , that goes beyond my knowledge right now. One problem at a time. I see the promise land but we are not there yet.
Hi,
right now is there now way to passthrough DTS-HD MA Audio?
Iam planning to buy an pioneer amp which support that.
Iam using xbmc especially for DTS-HD MA sound, other wise i could use also dreambox or ps3 No

regards
Boyz

alanwww1 Wrote:Hi !

If you are totally noob. I'd suggest leaving HDMI at 2.0 and have 5.1 audio with passthrough. 5.1 lpcm currently would only be useful if you have a non-passthrough-able track. Eg. WMA 5.1.

Passthrough of DTS-MA is not yet implemented in xbmc. Expected only in future (post-Eden) releases.

In the future (when the 3.2 kernel will be default in Ubuntu (12.04 earliest) you won't need to tweak the eld configuration at all. It is already implemented in upstream kernels.
Boyz Wrote:Hi,
Iam using xbmc especially for DTS-HD MA sound, other wise i could use also dreambox or ps3 No

regards
Boyz

The AE branch has this ability, but very unstable at the moment. Hopefully it will be merged for the next major release (not Eden)
Boyz Wrote:Hi,

regards
Boyz

You might want to try cbxbiker's work. It works for DTS-MA, he is working on TrueHD now.
I've been using the autostart scripts in my system for a few days now and I've discovered a problem when they are used in conjunction with ethtool. Whenever XBMC (and X) starts, any wake on lan settings I've changed via ethtool (running ethtool from either rc.local or via init scrips) get set back to defaults. For example, I'll set Wake on Lan to umbg with "ethtool -s eht0 wol umbg" in rc.local. As soon as the system comes up the settings are applied correctly, but then as soon as XBMC starts up it goes right back to having on "g" listed as the wake on lan setting. Any ideas on what could cause this? I've been all over your scripts and haven't seen anything that caught my eye, but I'm a newb to shell scripting.
mantrius Wrote:I've been using the autostart scripts in my system for a few days now and I've discovered a problem when they are used in conjunction with ethtool. Whenever XBMC (and X) starts, any wake on lan settings I've changed via ethtool (running ethtool from either rc.local or via init scrips) get set back to defaults. For example, I'll set Wake on Lan to umbg with "ethtool -s eht0 wol umbg" in rc.local. As soon as the system comes up the settings are applied correctly, but then as soon as XBMC starts up it goes right back to having on "g" listed as the wake on lan setting. Any ideas on what could cause this? I've been all over your scripts and haven't seen anything that caught my eye, but I'm a newb to shell scripting.

Sorry, but i have no idea. I am not familiar withthtool. You could try to put your ethtool line into /etc/init/xbmc.conf, into the pre- or even the post starting part.

Just an idea. I am not sure rc.local does even get executed in a minimal system.
alanwww1 Wrote:Sorry, but i have no idea. I am not familiar withthtool. You could try to put your ethtool line into /etc/init/xbmc.conf, into the pre- or even the post starting part.

Just an idea. I am not sure rc.local does even get executed in a minimal system.

Ethtool is used to modify various ethernet adapter settings (speed, duplex, wake on lan, etc.). I've played around with it quite a bit and rc.local does indeed get activated even in a minimal system install. To find the problem initially I had to get XBMC and X to delay their start. Once I did that I was able to see that my ethtool line in rc.local did indeed run and set my settings correctly, but as soon as XBMC and X started those settings got wiped out.

*edit* I'll try adding this to the pre-starting part as it didn't work when I tried in the post-starting section.
mantrius Wrote:Ethtool is used to modify various ethernet adapter settings (speed, duplex, wake on lan, etc.). I've played around with it quite a bit and rc.local does indeed get activated even in a minimal system install. To find the problem initially I had to get XBMC and X to delay their start. Once I did that I was able to see that my ethtool line in rc.local did indeed run and set my settings correctly, but as soon as XBMC and X started those settings got wiped out.

*edit* I'll try adding this to the pre-starting part as it didn't work when I tried in the post-starting section.

Ok, I figured this out. Apparently there is a script in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d called disable_wol that sets the wake on lan setting to "g" explicitly if wake on lan is enabled for the ethernet adapter. This overwrites any setting made by ethtool from rc.local or any init script. To make wake on lan settings stick after reboot or after suspend and wake-up you have to make your changes in that script.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms2