• 15(current)
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms
Thanks for the reply! I had Unity installed already...

I removed the xorg.conf fixed the weird shutdown issues but now I have no sound on the desktop but perfect playback in XBMC Huh before I had sound on the desktop and XBMC I'm running an optical out to the receiver. From doing research it seems its a bug in 11.10 but I can't find a solution.

I guess this is the world of linux. I don't want to go back to windows...
alanwww1 Wrote:This means the kernel driver down not report proper plugging. I guess you can figure out which is the right one Wink

Plugged in to my hdmi correctly. Is there something wrong with my hw?
nooryani84 Wrote:Plugged in to my hdmi correctly. Is there something wrong with my hw?

No, it is the driver. It is still under heavy developement. You can expect better and better working with newer kernels. Namely with Ubuntu Precise.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:No, it is the driver. It is still under heavy developement. You can expect better and better working with newer kernels. Namely with Ubuntu Precise.

Thank you, that puts my mind at ease Smile

Your guide is excellent btw, keep up the awesome work!
I ended up writing a script for my i5 to kill off pulseaudio after xbmc starts up, and life is good with spdif... sadly with hdmi its somewhat broken. 5.1 audio just gets garbled by the time it gets to the receiver.

Not really sure why hdmi fails and spdif works exactly, but from what i've read it doesnt look particularly good.
First, thanks for your guide highly appreciated!

I build a new i3 HTPC based on the intel DH61AG with a i3-2120T CPU it's almost perfect and is a nice performance boost since my old iON setup.

One thing is driving me crazy. System is connected via HDMI -> Pulse Eight CEC Adapter -> AVR (Denon) -> TV (Samsung) after several trys i'll added the correct modlines for the TV to the xorg.conf working so far.

Everything is switched off and the HTPC is powered on the rest will be powered on via the CEC adapter which results in a 'unknown mode' for the TV since it looks like X is grabbing the EDID info from the AVR.

If I power on the AMP & TV before the HTPC I get the correct mode but this renders the CEC Adapter useless.

I tried a lot of options to fix the HDMI output to the specific resolution (Ignore EDID, UseEDID ...) but none seems to work also upgraded to the fresh new 3.3 kernel which should fix some EDID stuff but didn't.

Anybody able to help?

X.org Log http://pastebin.com/6M2TmVkG
xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/3psA6Ea2

Also I noticed several times that one of the four CPU cores shows 100% load while playing a video, is this 'default' behavior that might misread the build in gfx of the CPU or is acceleration not working?
(2012-03-19, 19:48)mason Wrote: If I power on the AMP & TV before the HTPC I get the correct mode but this renders the CEC Adapter useless.

You can not really do anything about this as far as I know. It is the same behaviour with other video card vendors. HDMI handshake, EDID, HDCP makes hdmi connection a PITA. It also depends on your TV, AV receiver. Once I even had a problem with a hdmi cable.

(2012-03-19, 19:48)mason Wrote: Also I noticed several times that one of the four CPU cores shows 100% load while playing a video, is this 'default' behavior that might misread the build in gfx of the CPU or is acceleration not working?

That is NOT normal. It can be that the value is misread. You can check the real value and what is causing the problem by ssh-ing your htpc and start "top" you can see the utilization and the process which takes up your cpu time there.

You can check if HW accel is working by perssing "o" while playing video and check the decoder if it is vaapi.

Cheers, Attila

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(2012-03-19, 19:48)mason Wrote: First, thanks for your guide highly appreciated!

I build a new i3 HTPC based on the intel DH61AG with a i3-2120T CPU it's almost perfect and is a nice performance boost since my old iON setup.

One thing is driving me crazy. System is connected via HDMI -> Pulse Eight CEC Adapter -> AVR (Denon) -> TV (Samsung) after several trys i'll added the correct modlines for the TV to the xorg.conf working so far.

Everything is switched off and the HTPC is powered on the rest will be powered on via the CEC adapter which results in a 'unknown mode' for the TV since it looks like X is grabbing the EDID info from the AVR.

If I power on the AMP & TV before the HTPC I get the correct mode but this renders the CEC Adapter useless.

I tried a lot of options to fix the HDMI output to the specific resolution (Ignore EDID, UseEDID ...) but none seems to work also upgraded to the fresh new 3.3 kernel which should fix some EDID stuff but didn't.

Anybody able to help?

X.org Log http://pastebin.com/6M2TmVkG
xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/3psA6Ea2

Also I noticed several times that one of the four CPU cores shows 100% load while playing a video, is this 'default' behavior that might misread the build in gfx of the CPU or is acceleration not working?
Are you using PulseEight's build of XBMC? Currently that's the only way for the CEC adaptor to work through an AVR. PulseEight is pretty explicit about that fact as well. You also need to make sure that your AVR is supported. Their message boards are pretty active , and the development tend to respond fairly promptly.
(2012-03-20, 02:24)pumkinut Wrote: Are you using PulseEight's build of XBMC? Currently that's the only way for the CEC adaptor to work through an AVR. PulseEight is pretty explicit about that fact as well. You also need to make sure that your AVR is supported. Their message boards are pretty active , and the development tend to respond fairly promptly.

Yes, running the latest ppas from opdenkamp... was working fine with my ion setup including the AVR so I suspect this to be a problem with the HD2000 GFX.

@alanwww1

thanks for your input, the 100% CPU comes indeed from the udev process and not from XBMC, seems vaapi is running fine.
Also I try to send some power on command prior the X to the devices, maybe this will do the trick.

Edit: Found out the udev process goes to 100% when I plugin the nyxboard reciever from pulse eight, weird... have to look into that, might be something for their forum Wink
(2012-03-20, 18:41)mason Wrote:
(2012-03-20, 02:24)pumkinut Wrote: Are you using PulseEight's build of XBMC? Currently that's the only way for the CEC adaptor to work through an AVR. PulseEight is pretty explicit about that fact as well. You also need to make sure that your AVR is supported. Their message boards are pretty active , and the development tend to respond fairly promptly.

Yes, running the latest ppas from opdenkamp... was working fine with my ion setup including the AVR so I suspect this to be a problem with the HD2000 GFX.

@alanwww1

thanks for your input, the 100% CPU comes indeed from the udev process and not from XBMC, seems vaapi is running fine.
Also I try to send some power on command prior the X to the devices, maybe this will do the trick.

Edit: Found out the udev process goes to 100% when I plugin the nyxboard reciever from pulse eight, weird... have to look into that, might be something for their forum Wink

The PPAs from opdenkamp != pulse-eight builds goto the packages website and download/install from there
Hi Alanwww1,
in the feature list of Eden they mention "And now even AMD devices are supported for GPU video decoding in Linux to some extent, thanks to the inclusion of VAAPI.".
As I understand VAAPI is also for the GPUs in the Intel processors, so I have a sandy intel with 2000 graphics and ask myself if the steps in the first post are still necessary?
Or is it better to install xbmcbuntu and everything is included?

Thank you very much!
Apart from deinterlacing and multichannel audio I think XBMCBuntu could bring you the same experience. You could check it.
I just performed a fresh install of XBMCBuntu today onto my new Crucial M4 SSD (wicked boot times FTW!), and it doesn't look like the Intel IGP is utilizing VAAPI out of the box. I fired up a h.264 HD file and opened the OSD to check. It was using ffh264 as the video decoder. I'll go through the first post and reboot to see if I see a difference.

Edit:
I installed the i965-va-driver, vainfo, and gtk2-engines-pixbuf, and now have VAAPI acceleration working again. I also needed alanwww1's xorg.conf to get refresh rate matching again as well.
Just wondering has anyone managed to get a hp mce ir receiver to work with this setup? Im using openelec which supports it but I would love to try this but I believe its not compatiable with the latest kernels?
Thank you very much pumkinut,
too bad that for out-of-the-box experience it still seems to be better to use nvidia products with xbmc.
Maybe I´ll try your xbmcbuntu configuration with the manual installation of the VAAPI packages.

(2012-03-31, 23:23)pumkinut Wrote: I just performed a fresh install of XBMCBuntu today onto my new Crucial M4 SSD (wicked boot times FTW!), and it doesn't look like the Intel IGP is utilizing VAAPI out of the box. I fired up a h.264 HD file and opened the OSD to check. It was using ffh264 as the video decoder. I'll go through the first post and reboot to see if I see a difference.

Edit:
I installed the i965-va-driver, vainfo, and gtk2-engines-pixbuf, and now have VAAPI acceleration working again. I also needed alanwww1's xorg.conf to get refresh rate matching again as well.

• 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[GUIDE] Simplified Guide for a perfect minimal HTPC on INTEL platforms2