Looking to 1080p output device for XBMC
I have an unraid server so my only concern right now is creating a device that just outputs back 1080p. I know the ATV2 has the capability of playing 1080p, but it only outputs to 720p.

I'm looking around for some deals on hardware and some do-it-yourself builds, but they're either a bit more than I was expecting or unavailable for the good deals.

If there is a decent retail box out there like ATV2 that streams 1080p that XBMC Live works smoothly on, those suggestions are most welcome as well. I have not had much luck with XBMC Live on my PC though as the resolution was off and I am linux-ignorant so drivers were an issue too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
bc
try openelec instead of live
bcboncs Wrote:I have an unraid server so my only concern right now is creating a device that just outputs back 1080p. I know the ATV2 has the capability of playing 1080p, but it only outputs to 720p.

I'm looking around for some deals on hardware and some do-it-yourself builds, but they're either a bit more than I was expecting or unavailable for the good deals.

If there is a decent retail box out there like ATV2 that streams 1080p that XBMC Live works smoothly on, those suggestions are most welcome as well. I have not had much luck with XBMC Live on my PC though as the resolution was off and I am linux-ignorant so drivers were an issue too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
bc
Here is a complete system- Acer Aspire AX1470-UR31P Desktop PC - AMD A4-3400 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD6410D Graphics, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It should do 1080P!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I still like this: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name...2PB32&c=CJ

Add a little memory and a USB stick with OpenELEC on it and you're banging out 1080p on a small appliance. A friend picked one up when this was about $175 and loves it.
You might wanna look into [url="www.plexapp.com]Plex[/url], which is somewhat simmilar to XBMC (Plex originated from XBMC), but the main difference is that the database is actually located at the server side, and there is a program taking care of it. Why I'm mentioning this? Because Plex can run on RokuXS, which is a $99, fanless device. Main advantages over Apple TV2: 1080p output, USB port, analog audio output, and no hacking required. It also has an RF remote + an IR receaver in case you wanna use your Harmony...
Main disadvantage? The linux version of their media server app is still beta, so I'm not sure whether it will work well with your unRAID server. Or you would have to use another machine to handle the DB...

I have just learned that Samsung TVs and BD players support Plex very well. LG TVs too, but not so well. I still like XBMC more, though. Gives you much more options. I wish we were able to install XBMC directly onto a TV or BD player. That would be killer! I'm ok with the Koreans getting Plex (Samsung and LG) as long as the Japs (Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer, Sony) get XBMC. :-P
Kirky99 Wrote:I still like this: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name...2PB32&c=CJ

Add a little memory and a USB stick with OpenELEC on it and you're banging out 1080p on a small appliance. A friend picked one up when this was about $175 and loves it.

This looks decent, does OpenELEC work out of the box with no types of issues though? No drivers, etc? I see a few youtube videos out there about it and it looks like they customized their home screen to have movies/tv shows on it instead of just Videos -- cool. Does this box comfortably support other XBMC skins? I have a zotac ionitx-a-u (discontinued ... sadly...) and it doesn't seem to support the additional skins too well.

I appreciate the thoughts bluray on that desktop, but I'm looking for a nice little device (micro itx) that will look nice in a tv stand.

Plex... I could go that route but I feel like it would be a Windows vs Mac situation. If I already know Windows, whats the point of learning Mac? Sad
bcboncs Wrote:I appreciate the thoughts bluray on that desktop, but I'm looking for a nice little device (micro itx) that will look nice in a tv stand.

Plex... I could go that route but I feel like it would be a Windows vs Mac situation. If I already know Windows, whats the point of learning Mac? Sad
these two (very modern looks) should work then- ASUS EB1021-B010E Desktop (Black) and Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 40812HU Desktop Computer - Black.

you're right about windows 7, and there is nothing easier to use than it.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bcboncs Wrote:I have a zotac ionitx-a-u (discontinued ... sadly...) and it doesn't seem to support the additional skins too well.
(
Actually, I'm running OpenELEC pre-Edem on my Zotac IONOAX a-f I think and it works wonderfully. No issues with it, and I'm banging out AeonMQ3 (was using AeonMQ2 under Dharma). No issues with skins for me. The heavier skins work much better without Windows hogging the processor. Atom/ION and OpenELEC are a match made in heaven if you ask me.

I'll have to get back to you on any problems with the Asus 1012. I haven't heard anything from him, and I'm usually the first support call he makes. According to the site, the Asus 1012 is fully supported.
I'd hit up an ATV1 on craigslist for $50

@Kirky99; Atom+OpenElec is the bomb/dig. I love the new zotac Nano. The only three fails i saw was not atom version, poor ir receiver performance and no qwerty remote. But i love zotac products. If my setups crashed and burned today i would replace with zotac products.

OpenElec and Zotac need to coordinate for the next Nano release.
Kirky99 Wrote:Actually, I'm running OpenELEC pre-Edem on my Zotac IONOAX a-f I think and it works wonderfully. No issues with it, and I'm banging out AeonMQ3 (was using AeonMQ2 under Dharma). No issues with skins for me. The heavier skins work much better without Windows hogging the processor. Atom/ION and OpenELEC are a match made in heaven if you ask me.

I'll have to get back to you on any problems with the Asus 1012. I haven't heard anything from him, and I'm usually the first support call he makes. According to the site, the Asus 1012 is fully supported.

oh I forgot to ask, is Harmony supported in OpenELEC?
Yeah, you just set up your harmony as a microsoft mce remote and you're good to go

PS. Openelec is just a minimal linux build that boots straight into xbmc. It is more appliance-like, but you don't get to use it as a computer for web browser and stuff. It's just xbmc and that's it.

On the upside, you don't have to deal with linux as the installation is very simple and automated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to 1080p output device for XBMC0