[WIP] Comics Manager Add-on
Since several month now, versions of Advanced Launcher have reached maturity : most of the bugs are fixed, on most of the general features that could support such kind of add-on, like this one, have been included. After provide a wide support on this add-on (tutorials, wiki, dedicated support forum, Youtube tutorial) I'm starting going in circles.

I have receive several requests about improvement of comics support (mostly for managing) into Advanced Launcher. I thought a lot of time how simply add this support without dramatically modify all the Advanced Launcher operation, and I came to evidence that it will not be possible to add this kind of support into Advanced Launcher but that a different add-on must be created specifically for comics reading and managing.

Actually my plan is to start from the actual version of Advanced Launcher, and drastically simplify it to only support 1 application launcher (external or internal comic reader) and manage different comics collections. Second step will be to add specific features dedicated to comics (scrapers, archive image extract, ISBN support, etc....).

Before this last step I will need your suggestions, ideas, and discuss about such kind of add-on. The objective is to make this add-on the most possible useful for comics readers. I'm waiting your suggestions. Wink
well you know mine already anybody else xD

but just to get it started , thou you already know this .....add support to autimport series folders and to be able to access that folder and it contains all the comics pertaining to that series

remember what i said about autocreate a launcher for each series ...yeah something like it but something that makes more sense to you angel

whatever ideas you have bring it!!! xD
I think it would be great if you could allow an option for a default reader to make it a more streamlined process. As long as it allowed you to switch between one page or two page simultaneous views I think ppl would be happy.

It would be great if somehow it scraped for fanart to have background art for each comic series.

so the top folder should be named after the series, and the issues inside be labeled by issue #

i.e.

Y The Last Man (folder name)
-y the last man 001
-y the last man 002
etc etc.
Love this idea!
Thanks for taking this on
Love this ! have been waiting for this as due to time restraints and general fear of managing my comics collection I was holding out for something like this ... so let me get this straight plan is to :
1- scan comics library whilst
2- scraping images & data
3- displaying cover & fanart
4- and creating a sort of .nfo
Hope this project is still in your mind Angelscry, Advanced Launcher Rocks, and would love to have something to play with comics. Right now Aeon Nox implementation is good, but still needs a good scraper.
Adeiko Wrote:Hope this project is still in your mind Angelscry, Advanced Launcher Rocks, and would love to have something to play with comics. Right now Aeon Nox implementation is good, but still needs a good scraper.
I have started too work a little on it. My first though have to use the base code of Advanced Launcher, but I have finally decided to code it from the start : not use a launcher/items XML structure like Advanced Launcher but a serie/volume/issues that more close to a comic collection structure.
Hi Angelscry:

A few ideas/suggestions/thoughts:

- Maybe have the possibility of using a few comics readers within the add on. For example Marvel comics may be handled by the internal viewer, but Japanese comics reading order from the back page, so best handled by an external program with a manga option
- Cover Thumbnails could be easily extracted for cbr/cbz for browsing, rather than scraped from the internet. I have a few PDFs, perhaps only these would need external scraping.. So the suggestion would be to "scrape"/extract locally first and then seek an internet site..
- I like the Advanced Launcher option where you save your "covers/fanart" in a directory rather than the XBMC cache. Convenient for people with multiple XBMC installs.

I've found the Comicvine scraper a bit frustrating. For example I have an Asterix collection such as "01 - Asterix the Gaul" (so that they appear in alphabetical order) but ComicVine wants "Asterix #1"
So perhaps a bit of Regex magic in the site scraping is needed?

Just a few thoughts! Cool
Thanks for all your efforts!

Edit: and I've still been slowly adding comic fanart to HTBackdrops.com since you included the comic scraper in AL, so here's hoping other comic fans will add their fanart too, so the comic section is similar to the video/tv sections of XBMC!
Angelscry Any news about this project? Are you still working on it or it's gone to the bench?
Adeiko Wrote:Angelscry Any news about this project? Are you still working on it or it's gone to the bench?
Benched.
Angelscry Wrote:Benched.

Per other thread, please revisit this Big Grin
would you please please reconsider... our community is crying out for a sviour with proper comics integration into xbmc with full scraping and proper views and file / comics managment ...something like aeon nox is crying for a full on comics solution .. please please angelscry .. you could do this ...
(2012-11-09, 02:56)shaktoo Wrote: would you please please reconsider... our community is crying out for a sviour with proper comics integration into xbmc with full scraping and proper views and file / comics managment ...something like aeon nox is crying for a full on comics solution .. please please angelscry .. you could do this ...
Use Advanced Launcher....

Sort comics by series :

Display all comics information :

Integrated comic scraper (based on ComicVine) :

Integrated cover scraper (based on ComicVine) :

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Comics Manager Add-on1