XBMC as AirPlay source
Seems like using XBMC as target for AirPlay is supported in Eden.

However many of us do not run XBMC on a computer directly connected to a TV set. It could be also very beneficial to be able to AirPlay / stream from an XBMC installed on a computer to an Apple TV or other box supporting AirPlay (and enjoy the vacation movies and adds-on content on a big screen).

Is there any development to use XBMC as source?

Thanks,
This would require transcoding if you wanted to fully support AirPlay. Right now the only official AirPlay target device, an Apple TV 2, can run a full copy of XBMC directly, so there wouldn't be much point in airplaying to it and transcoding.
I think you're forgetting the Airport Express :-) I'd like to connect my Airport Express to a set of ADM speakers (these speakers from AVI hifi has amps and dacs inside so that you do not need anything more than the speakers and a computer - in my case, the Airport Express).

My (huge) problem is that I ripped hundreds of cds to ogg a couple of years ago so iTunes is no option for me.. :-(

Of course I would rather use XBMC over iTunes regardless...
I would really, really love this feature too. Please impliment this as this is why I downloaded it to begin with. I have the Windows version.
You downloaded it for something it can't do. Genius.

Something like that will be implemented via upnp in the future. (not with apples airplay protocol). No ETA.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Not sure if I'm a genius and sorry if this is stupid question.

I have an ATV 3 not ATV 2. One of my favorite things to do is browse Youtube on my iPad1 (easier than using ATV remote to do ydirectly on ATV) and then mirror it to my TV using the ATV. After I now have XBMC on my iPad1, I expected to be able to do the same. I obviously cannot.

Was this feature left out due to technical limitation or on purpose? I hope it is not the latter, because THIS I'm sure is what most people do and that's why mirroring from iPad to ATV is such a big deal for most people. Any plans on adding this feature to XBMC? Watching 720p videos on TV makes more sense than on the 10 inch iPad screen where it would matter less.

Just my 2 cents.
Please think about all those folks who have an ATV3. I am hardly ungrateful. Without XBMC and folks such as you, my life would be considerably less enjoyable. Having XBMC on an iOS device lets me stream videos from all over the world onto my iOS device. Except if that iOS device isn't ATV 1 or ATV 2, there's no way for me to get it to my TV unless I connect the device directly to the TV which is a bitch.

I hope XBMC devs reconsider their position. Again I'm assuming this is a question of philosophy of design and not one of possibilities. If ATV 3 could have XBMC, this forum thread may not even exist. Unfortunately, it does not, hence the plea from me and many others like me.

Best.
Not possible with the iPad 1. It's been added for XBMC v12, but requires an A5 processor (so iPad 2 and 3 will work). This is because the feature is using Apple's AirPlay APIs, and the ones for screen mirroring require A5. Kinda ticks me off, because it won't work on my iPhone 4, which is the same specs as your iPad 1, but maybe it really is a technical limitation. Not much we can do about it on the XBMC-side.
(2012-10-17, 17:40)Ned Scott Wrote: Not possible with the iPad 1. It's been added for XBMC v12, but requires an A5 processor (so iPad 2 and 3 will work). This is because the feature is using Apple's AirPlay APIs, and the ones for screen mirroring require A5. Kinda ticks me off, because it won't work on my iPhone 4, which is the same specs as your iPad 1, but maybe it really is a technical limitation. Not much we can do about it on the XBMC-side.

That's really strange because if my iPad1 can stream Youtube to my ATV 3 and not need A5 processor, I would have thought XBMC would not have any issues. I always thought it was a OS version that gave that capability because until l updated my iPad 1 to 5.1.1, I could never do Airplay. So I'm not sure the limitation is from hardware. I only hope XBMC 12 when available also works on iPad 1 5.1.1 and let's me mirror to my HD TV throught my ATV 3.
There is a difference between AirPlay video and AirPlay mirroring. To send XBMC's GUI or even just the videos we would have to use AirPlay mirroring.
(2012-10-17, 19:31)Ned Scott Wrote: There is a difference between AirPlay video and AirPlay mirroring. To send XBMC's GUI or even just the videos we would have to use AirPlay mirroring.

Sorry. To clarify then I'm talking about Airplay Mirroring. My iPad1 can send Youtube Video to my Apple TV 3. However it cannot send XBMC video. I have to assume therefore it was design choice by XBMC dev and not hardware limitation, especially if XBMC 12 is supposed to have this feature.

Again, I will hold my breath and hope not to die, XBMC 12 will work on iPad 1. I have no problem waiting for the good things in life ;-)
It was not a design choice. Its just hard to be done. Maybe when the upnp remote player feature is in (basically the same but not using airplay) - there are some tricks we can use for implementing airplay too. But imho the support effort for airplay is way to much. Apple breaks our airplay implementation with each ios release (ios 6 airplay doesn't work with xbmc yet). Implementing not only the airplay target but also the source will double the maintenance trouble. And at least i am already annoyed enough about airplay that i will keep it on the airplay target side.

Keep in mind - airplay is proprietary shit and doesn't really fit into open source land. But the demand is big on the userbase. But you just have to take the fact that the devs don't care that much about these airplay scenarios - so as i take it with other projects - take what you get and give the devs there rest... Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-10-18, 00:09)Memphiz Wrote: Keep in mind - airplay is proprietary shit and doesn't really fit into open source land. But the demand is big on the userbase. But you just have to take the fact that the devs don't care that much about these airplay scenarios - so as i take it with other projects - take what you get and give the devs there rest... Wink

I thought it was something enabled throught the OS since any app that plays video has the icon enabled but XBMC. I have been schooled.

I hope the devs find it in themselves to add this feature in XBMC 12. Or maybe it becomes possible to install XBMC on ATV 3 in future :-)
YouTube video is not AirPlay mirroring. Your iPad 1 cannot use Airplay mirroring. The limit is placed there by Apple. When you see the icon pop up on a video, that is normal AirPlay video that only works on certain video formats that use Apple's internal video player. XBMC does not use Apple's internal video player, and it never will (Apple's player can't playback most file formats, which is one of the reasons people like XBMC on the iPad in the first place). The only way to send XBMC to an Apple TV is to use Airplay mirroring, which is kind of like a screen recorder + airplay. Your iPad 1 can't do mirroring. Nothing we do with XBMC can change that.
Bummer! I get it now. I guess I need to see if there's an expensive HDMI cable that can output from iPad to TV. The one I got from eBay will not do full screen.
It will - if you delete all strange tvout apps from cydia (if you got one of these) and select "fullscreen #2" in xbmc settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as AirPlay source0