Any benefits to RAM Disk for HTPC if using SSD?
First, I apologize if this should be in OT or another forum.

My next HTPC is going to be used primarily for XBMC, but I'm probably going to use W7 as the OS for PVR reasons (mostly just for sporting events). I may also throw in some emulators, but I'm not a "gamer". I do not care about BluRay viewing.

I have 8 GB of RAM and a 32 GB SSD (for OS only).

I was thinking of making a RAM Disk of 4 GB and I'd still have an okay amount of RAM. But, I'm not sure what I'd use that RAM Disk for (especially since I'm using the SSD to speed things up) and I'm pretty sure a HTPC doesn't need 8 GB of RAM...

I've searched RAM Disk usage here on the forums and I'm not sure I'm seeing a compelling reason to use this (again, most of these were written before SSDs were more reasonably priced as they are now).

So, my questions are:
Should I have a 4 GB RAM Disk on my XBMC W7 HTPC?
If not, should I stick with 4 GB RAM or should I go with the full 8 GB?
If so, what should I point to the RAM Disk?
4GB of RAM is enough for HTPC with W7 and XBMC
ask user named Subliminal Aurora
SSDs are molasses compared to RAM disks. Now, if that's what is limiting your XBMC performance then you will notice an improvement.

Rumor has it Google keeps everything constantly cached on RAM disk.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
eskro Wrote:ask user named Subliminal Aurora

I don't see this user in the advanced search. And doing a google search such as:
site:xbmc.org subliminal aurora
I only get 4 hits.

Or, is this a joke I'm not getting?

Now I see. We're looking for "Subliminal Aura". Thanks. I'll check with SA. And I'll re-read this thread.
right on!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any benefits to RAM Disk for HTPC if using SSD?0