pko66 Wrote:Hey spiff, bladesuk1, first my apologies for stepping to "explain" bladesuk1 modifications to spiff, maybe is not my place, but just trying to help...
I think that what bladesuk1 is trying to implement is a "server mode": me, and from the forum I think many other ppl, have an installation of several XBMC machines running with a central storage server (usually, a linux or windows not very powerful machine but with lots of hard disk space shared on the network). In that server, a MySQL daemon is used as a central repository for the database of the XBMC machines and a shared folder is used for storing media thumbnails. Also, usually some kind of (semi)automatic download process (flexget/transmission/couch potato/utorrent/whatever) adds new media continuously. The current XBMC architecture needs a XBMC instance (and only one, because two instances simultaneusly trying to update will break the database) to scrape the media and generate thumbnails.
The problem is, the server usually has not graphical capability to run XBMC, maybe the server does not even has an attached screen, so the database needs to be update from one of the clients manually (I have xbmc installed in my main windows computer just to do that). I think what blasesuk1 is trying to implement is a "server mode" xbmc that, simply, runs without GUI and does nothing but running the scrapers from time to time. That could be running in the server (or, maybe even better, in a virtual machine inside the server that could be virtually switched on and off when needed) and will update the database and create the thumbnails automatically whenever is needed. Maybe a "start, look for and scrape new media, optionally clean database and then exit when finished" mode could be included.
I, for one, would find that extremely useful.
Just want to second that as it describes my situation 100%
- ubuntu server with MySQL, transmission, tvheadend, smb-shares, ...
- office-pc with embermm (and XBMC Eden testing, so not compatible with the others)
- 2 other XBMC boxes (Dharma for now, more to come, perhaps 1 OpenElec when they reach Eden)
so when new media arrives i have to
- unpack and move to correct folders (not automated this, not XBMC stuff)
- run renamer tool (also not XBMC stuff)
- run embermm and scrape (generates NFO+images)
- go to living room or get laptop running (start XBMC)
- start library update
as my collection grows nearly every day i have to perform those steps often and as the amount of data grows, some steps take a significant amount of time (1000+ movies, 20+ series about 5 modified often)
another crappy thing is this:
- new episodes arrive, but only english NFO data available, so take this for now
- XBMC shows en
- a week later german info is available, so getting that
- XBMC needs refresh and that kills the 'latest episodes' listing as the already watched go to the top of the list
this applies to movies too.