[Windows] Need some networking help!
waldo22 Wrote:Here's what you do:

Leave the router that is connected to the Internet as it is.
  • On the 2nd router, set the IP to be one above your main router and
  • disable the DHCP server
  • then plug the Cat5e for the Internet into a switch port on this router instead of the Internet/WAN port
  • set the SSIDs and WPA keys to be the same on both routers
- voila, you have a wireless "access point" with switch instead of a router.

So, if your main router is 192.168.1.1, make the 2nd one 192.168.1.2. Make sure the DHCP on the main router starts handing out IPs at 192.168.1.20 or something like that, so it doesn't interfere with 192.168.1.2.

My main router is 192.168.0.1 so I should make the second one 192.168.0.2, correct?
Jorge18 Wrote:My main router is 192.168.0.1 so I should make the second one 192.168.0.2, correct?

yes, that's correct.

Then, as pointed out by waldo22, make sure your "DHCP on the main router starts handing out IPs at 192.168.0.20".
OK, will try this when I get home.

How about the channels of the two routers? should they be different or the same?
Jorge18 Wrote:OK, will try this when I get home.

How about the channels of the two routers? should they be different or the same?

Probably different and as far apart as possible:

ie. 11 and 1

But you should scan for the least congested channel if your router can do that automatically.
Here is a list of non-overlaping channels. I had to go around the house with a laptop to see which networks on which channels are there, and then I had to tak to my neighbour if he would be so kind as to change the channel on his Wi-Fi router from channel four to something "normal". :-D

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Need some networking help!0