VSXu
Some interesting open-source OpenGL visuals over here:

http://vsxu.com/

Anyone know if this would be possible as an XBMC add-on?
wow man, amazing visuals
and it's a GPL project... insteresting !
+1
This does look very nice!
Nice
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
hi, I'm author of VSXu. if XMBC can provide audio and an OpenGL surface it should be dead easy to integrate VSXu. If anyone knowledgable about these things want to come chat (IRC), we're in #vsxu on freenode..
My (admittedly limited) understanding is that OpenGL is available on Linux systems (and some Windows ones), there are already a number of OpenGL visualizations for XBMC - OpenGLSpectrum and NastyFFT being two that spring to mind…

I'm afraid I won't be of any use myself, but I certainly hope some of our more talented forum members (or developers) get in touch with you and that XBMC's future can include VSXu - the more acronyms the merrier IMHO! Wink
ximon Wrote:My (admittedly limited) understanding is that OpenGL is available on Linux systems (and some Windows ones), there are already a number of OpenGL visualizations for XBMC - OpenGLSpectrum and NastyFFT being two that spring to mind…:

Windows switched from OpenGL to DirectX 9 quite a while back. I don't think the OpenGL windows version is beeing updated but then it might not need any updates. I noticed that there is a linux version of VSXu so maybe a linux OpenGL port would be possible to create.

For whoever takes a stab at porting this the old 'look at existing visualizers to understand how to create one' is probably still the way to go.
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
jme Wrote:Windows switched from OpenGL to DirectX 9 quite a while back.
Are we talking about XMBC here? the GUI? if OpenGL for that is not available under windows, yes it's a problem.

Quote:I noticed that there is a linux version of VSXu so maybe a linux OpenGL port would be possible to create.
We develop on linux (it's the best platform for debugging etc) and cross-compile for windows, so both should be possible.

Quote:For whoever takes a stab at porting this the old 'look at existing visualizers to understand how to create one' is probably still the way to go.
Yea, probably best. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with Smile
jaw^vovoid Wrote:Are we talking about XBMC here? the GUI? if OpenGL for that is not available under windows, yes it's a problem.

Yes, the default installation of XBMC for windows uses DirectX.

Good luck!
Current project Plane9 a 3d music visualizer/sound responsive screensaver. Author of the planestate, matrix trails, asteroids and ping pong xbmc screensavers.
Hmm, so in order for this to work there needs to be a proper multi-platform plugin API that support OpenGL all over. It's not impossible, but takes a lot of work..

As it seems from screenshots, XMBC draws some song info etc on top of the visual. I guess this could be done in an OpenGL context as well, having said context floating in a window on top of the other window. But that's not something I want to get into, we already have a project like this with amarok (which has been running for like 2 years without success, albeit on linux) and it ended up quite messy.

So I guess to try a windows version of VSXu is kind of pointless.

Maybe for GNU/Linux, but supporting only one platform is not really our style..

If however XMBC team will provide a plugin architecture which supports OpenGL - I'm all for it. Smile
Any news on this?
Hi!

I made a VSXu addon for XBMC, so I thought I'd share it:
https://github.com/mifi/xbmc-vsxu
(still linux only)
Awesome!

Will try it out, thanks!
Hi Mikaelfinstad,

Thanks for making this, can't wait to try it out.
I have a slight problem trying to install it though (bear with me I'm very new to Linux so I'm learning a lot of this as I go)
I've installed VSXU and have followed the install instructions as far as the command "sudo make install" for the xbmc part of the install however I am getting an error
"Package libvsxu was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libvsxu.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable"

I've done a bit of searching on google on how to add the path to this variable which I've tried but am still getting the error... any suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VSXu0