Atv 2 - which skins work?
thanks....

so it is in the nightly as 3 by defaultHuh I didnt have an advancedsettings so put one in - do I need delete it now so it uses the default or add it in but change the 1 to 3?

Huh
so what does 3 do? Mine is set to 1 for now.
tytherman Wrote:thanks....

so it is in the nightly as 3 by defaultHuh I didnt have an advancedsettings so put one in - do I need delete it now so it uses the default or add it in but change the 1 to 3?

Huh

a6unx Wrote:so what does 3 do? Mine is set to 1 for now.

If 1 works for you just keep it at 1
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I just started testing Transparency on the ATV2 - it worked much better than I expected, but still not as quick as the default Confluence - dirty regions (set to 1) introduced a lot of flickering, so currently running with that not set (or set to 3, depending how you look at it).
I use neon and I love the feel and look. it sometimes freezes but nothing major.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Thumbs Up 
I've been using PM3.HD for a good while and it's quite acceptable on the ATV2 in terms of speed and functionality.
Mode 3 for Dirty Regions is not actually turning Dirty Regions on (sort of). It's just being used for some internal testing stuff. From TheUni: "mode3 basically isn't d-r at all. it just gives us a hint whether we need to render/flip"

Use Mode 1 if you want to see any real GUI speedups.
POS has basically screwed my ATV2. Basically I'm stuck at the home screen and can't navigate anywhere other than to exit.

Avoid like the plaque.
tril
trilidar Wrote:POS has basically screwed my ATV2. Basically I'm stuck at the home screen and can't navigate anywhere other than to exit.

Avoid like the plaque.
tril

It can't actually screw it up... (not for good, at least) just use this fix (originally meant for iPad, but will work for ATV2): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...SkinChange

It will reset your skin settings so you'll be back on default, but only your skin settings.
Ned Scott Wrote:Mode 3 for Dirty Regions is not actually turning Dirty Regions on (sort of). It's just being used for some internal testing stuff. From TheUni: "mode3 basically isn't d-r at all. it just gives us a hint whether we need to render/flip"

Use Mode 1 if you want to see any real GUI speedups.

What do you mean with the speed-up? There is no performance boost I can see while turning off or on dirty regions. The animations are just as slow as they are without this setting. The biggest impact I see is that XBMC will idle with the CPU at 95% when dirtyregions 1 is used, and only at 45% when its not enabled. Can someone explain that?

Logs to show the difference (idling in the home window, screensaver (blank) has been activated)

NO DR specified

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
5104 AppleTV 38.3% 3:32.99 27 211 780 39388K 1200K 75M 204M
nodr.log

DR 1

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
5134 AppleTV 98.3% 12:02.77 27 213 776 40316K 1200K 76M 205M
dr.log
the debug log and the on-screen CPU usage won't show you a "speed increase".

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/06/19/workin...y-regions/

I notice from your logs that you are using a mysql library. With everything being requested over the network, this might be why you don't see a speed increase in some transitions. XBMC is likely delaying not because of the GUI, but because it is waiting for information. That's just a guess, though.
Ned Scott Wrote:the debug log and the on-screen CPU usage won't show you a "speed increase".

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/06/19/workin...y-regions/

I notice from your logs that you are using a mysql library. With everything being requested over the network, this might be why you don't see a speed increase in some transitions. XBMC is likely delaying not because of the GUI, but because it is waiting for information. That's just a guess, though.

Yes, I think the mysql might be the problem, I dont see any benefit... But what would be the explanation for the huge increase in idle CPU usage compared to not using DR at all?
odt_x Wrote:Yes, I think the mysql might be the problem, I dont see any benefit... But what would be the explanation for the huge increase in idle CPU usage compared to not using DR at all?

Its the live ticker and the debug overlay itself which generates that high cpu usage. Turn both off and your cpu usage in top should go down to a couple of percent ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Its the live ticker and the debug overlay itself which generates that high cpu usage. Turn both off and your cpu usage in top should go down to a couple of percent ...

There is no live ticker, i have debug log using the advancedsettings entry. the CPU usage is monitored from running top on a shell. What Im mostly concerned about is that there is no noticable drop in CPU usage even after the blank screensaver is activated. Will that not turn off rendering on the ATV2?.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atv 2 - which skins work?0