Password Protect via Ratings
Hi,

I realise that there have been quite a few posts about this subject, but when searching the only solutions still seem to be the Master Lock/Set Lock on the source, or creating different Profiles.

I've tried the Master Lock solution, which although works to a degree - you can put a password protected lock on a source, but not a folder within that source - but it hides it completely from view, rather than just making it unavailable to click on without inputting the password.

I haven't set up a separate profile, but unless I'm missing something, this would seem to have a similar effect i.e. if you're in a general profile it will show all films, if you're in a childs profile, for instance, then it will only show the films you want associated to that profile. Again, I imagine this works to a degree, but I don't want multiple profiles really.

Ideally, what I would like to see, and I don't think I'm alone here, is to be able to see all movies/tv shows etc... but if they have a certain rating (that can be chosen in settings) i.e. PG or R then a password has to be inputted before the movie can be played. That way my 4-year old, who can quite easily navigate his way round XBMC (a well done nod to the developers for making it so easy) can't start watching Alien instead of Scooby-Doo - or should that be the other way round, Scooby-Doo is quite scary!!Shocked!!

I realise that the movie ratings system isn't perfect; many films from pre-1968 don't have ratings etc... but as I use Ember Media Manager I can input my own ratings on these older films or even change a rating on a film I don't think is suitable for my kids to see yet.

Hope that doesn't come across as a rant, it certainly isn't meant to; the system is awesome and gets better and better all the time, I'm just wondering if any sort of ratings based parental control system is likely in the future or is available now in some way?

Many thanks,
it has to be coded. the one coding it needs the incentive. i havent heard of anyone within the team fitting that bill.

sounds like you have it though. get coding.
spiff Wrote:it has to be coded. the one coding it needs the incentive. i havent heard of anyone within the team fitting that bill.

Awesome! I just got it done. It doesn't quite have the password protection fully implemented. But it works great. Here it is: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86038
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
^^Nice Try!!^^
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
I think this would make a lot of sense. Many people have slightly more scandalous videos, so some would probably want to hide certain files altogether, so it would be best to allow for that as well. I have certainly seen it requested enough times in the forums here.

We could simply add a subsection to the video settings called "parental controls," have the option to set a password to prevent unauthorized access, and then it could include a couple of settings along the lines of "Restrict access to movies rated ___ and above." I suppose you would need a similar set of options for tv shows since they're rated differently (e.g., TV 14). These settings could be extended to apply to live tv as well once it is officially added to xbmc.

Then to change display/access to the restricted files, there could be a listing in the context menu of "show restricted videos" or "hide restricted videos" depending on the current status, which would of course require the password to change. Or, it could simply be a toggle button outside of the context menu, visible somewhere in the video window alongside the "sort by" and the enable/disable library mode buttons.

Of course, I have no concept of how many minutes/hours/days/months it might take someone to code this, but it's an idea. Thoughts?
I don't get it. Why are you linking to something that never will work correctly again? and platform specific at that..
Why are you affraid of profiles? Using those your kid wouldn't even know there's Aliens movie in your library. Furthermore, what happens if you have per item lock and your kid select Alien movie? How kids friendly would it be to find him/herself in "enter your pin" dialog. It would be hit and miss scenario - is this mine to watch? No. This one? No. Finally found it this one!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

spiff Wrote:I don't get it. Why are you linking to something that never will work correctly again? and platform specific at that..

1) It works on all platforms.
2) Devs rant and rave about "Well fine, if you want to do it. You write the code". Someone did just that. And did it before he was even asked, he just showed up and was like "Hey guys, look at this". The thread is constantly full of people that want the feature. And you guys just shut him down.

I'm actually glad AE won't make Eden so that I can have my Dual Audio.
Code:
could we be anymore offtopic? or am i missing something here?
spiff Wrote:it has to be coded. the one coding it needs the incentive. i havent heard of anyone within the team fitting that bill.

Wish I could!!

Thanks for the replies, although I'm not sure what darkscouts link has to do with it, unless I'm missing something?

Thanks to Timdog for the support - yeah, many people probably do have more scandalous titles; can't see the point myself, with what is easily available online, but each to their own! I hadn't thought of the TV ratings differences, but personally I wouldn't be too bothered about live TV as that is what the watershed and bedtime are for!!

Regarding Profiles, I'm not afraid of them and will give them a go, but I don't think it would give me, personally, the desired effect - I don't want to have to switch profiles, I want all my media viewable. I don't mind my kids seeing the fanart to Aliens (as I control the fanart that is shown), I just don't want them watching the movie. In fact, I want them to say, what is that one about Dad? Then it's up to me to decide when they are old enough to watch it.

By no way am I saying it would seem easy - I have no idea - but compared to some of the other amazing things XBMC can do, it would seem on the more simple side and, dare I say, perhaps an expected standard feature for a media server interface.

And with the amount of posts asking for something similar, obviously something that many others have an interest in.

I hope one of the devs will pick it up in the future, when they have the time.
pecinko Wrote:Why are you affraid of profiles? Using those your kid wouldn't even know there's Aliens movie in your library. Furthermore, what happens if you have per item lock and your kid select Alien movie? How kids friendly would it be to find him/herself in "enter your pin" dialog. It would be hit and miss scenario - is this mine to watch? No. This one? No. Finally found it this one!

Because profiles don't fit well for this particular usage. Profiles answer the problems of different skins or preferences. But this question is not about either of those. This is about being able to put a restriction on content based on information stored within the video database.

As it is I have a very convoluted means of managing family content versus all content. But even using profiles, this needs a better implementation. If each profile had ratings to be set for it, it would still be a vast improvement over the current setup. We have locks on sources requiring a password. How is that so significantly different than locking by MPAA rating or certification (select ... from movies where c12 not like 'Rated R%' and c12 not like 'Rated TV-MA%')? One new screen for the selection of controlled ratings (you could even pull the list from the db by selecting distinct values for the first two words) and a new predicate for queries as above. The only slightly irritating thing is dealing with PG and PG-13 based on syntax.
I'd also say that separate profiles would be the way to go and do the separation of "kids-friendly" and "parental advisory" via your sources. Use Multipath sources for your parental profile if you like to see both in there. The additional profile also has the benefit to use a probably more kids friendly skin and hide some sections they must not access.

I agree that a intelligent "filter" based on ratings might be nice, as well as a more fine grained UAC - I'm just not sure if it's worth the overall effort.
Buff Wrote:Thanks for the replies, although I'm not sure what darkscouts link has to do with it, unless I'm missing something?

It's a dig at the developers that beg for code. Someone wrote a very useful feature that a ton of people use (read the thread) and they refused to use it.

So even if you do find yourself a coder there's a chance that they can decide "meh, we don't want this feature."
Code:
darkscout Wrote:It's a dig at the developers that beg for code. Someone wrote a very useful feature that a ton of people use (read the thread) and they refused to use it.

So even if you do find yourself a coder there's a chance that they can decide "meh, we don't want this feature."

Fair enough darkscout, I see where you're coming from.

We can but ask. I guess if there's enough people asking for these features, whatever they may be, then the developers will, hopefully, realise that and when the time is right add them in, if poss.

I've just been looking round a few threads and found quite a few people asking for ratings based parental control or similar, so maybe, just maybeBig Grin
I can't promise anything as I'm no dev, but as soon as Eden is released I'll have a look at current access control features and will come up with a concept for a better parental control/access control and see if I can motivate some of the guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Password Protect via Ratings2