New components for XBMCLive ASAP!
So my current HTPC hardware just failed. Sad The components are old and I have no intention to find out what's wrong.

Looking for tips on what's the latest hardware combo; MB, CPU, GPU (&RAM), that is directly compatible with XBMCLive (Ubuntu) for hardware acceleration ect. (already have case, PSU, HDD, remote). I'm a bit outdated for the moment on what's working well and not, except tonight's browsing on various forums...

The only other thing I ever run except XBMC is a Deluge-daemon. 1080p playback and analogue audio out are the only requirements.

Looking for the absolute cheapest mobo / integrated cpu/gpu (+ram) solution etc that fit my simple requirements. (Integrated passive psu is a plus) Anyone feeling kind enough to help me with some suggestions? Hoping to stay within a $100-150 budget if possible
jonte511 Wrote:So my current HTPC hardware just failed. Sad The components are old and I have no intention to find out what's wrong.

Looking for tips on what's the latest hardware combo; MB, CPU, GPU (&RAM), that is directly compatible with XBMCLive (Ubuntu) for hardware acceleration ect. (already have case, PSU, HDD, remote). I'm a bit outdated for the moment on what's working well and not, except tonight's browsing on various forums...

The only other thing I ever run except XBMC is a Deluge-daemon. 1080p playback and analogue audio out are the only requirements.

Looking for the absolute cheapest mobo / integrated cpu/gpu (+ram) solution etc that fit my simple requirements. (Integrated passive psu is a plus) Anyone feeling kind enough to help me with some suggestions? Hoping to stay within a $100-150 budget if possible

that budget is going to be impossible unless you plan on re-using some old parts.

as for xbmc live, make sure you use nvidia graphics (if you are using a dedicated GPU)
Well many mobo's with integrated cpu (and gpu) go for under $100 and ram is cheap. That are the only components I need... So I think (hope) it would be possible.

The problem is I'm not updated in what kind of hardware except for ION1/2 work well directly under XBMCLive, and at least ION2 hardware and not that cheap, well over $100.
jonte511 Wrote:Well many mobo's with integrated cpu (and gpu) go for under $100 and ram is cheap. That are the only components I need... So I think (hope) it would be possible.

The problem is I'm not updated in what kind of hardware except for ION1/2 work well directly under XBMCLive, and at least ION2 hardware and not that cheap, well over $100.

I'm unfamiliar with how those machines will run 1080P though.

MSI 760GM-E51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813130254

AMD Athlon II X2 250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103903

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820146748

This comes to more then you want to spend, but it will be much better then integrated as you have more options, but to each their own

PS: you will probably need a discrete GPU to play 1080P, but I'm not 100%
lrusak Wrote:I'm unfamiliar with how those machines will run 1080P though.
Perfectly fine. The ION chips provide full hardware accelerated 1080P for most formats. I have been using my ION Zotac MAG for what seems like 2 years now (Has it been that long already?!) and have not come across 1 problem file. Everything plays in full HD with 5.1 surround over HDMI.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Perfectly fine. The ION chips provide full hardware accelerated 1080P for most formats. I have been using my ION Zotac MAG for what seems like 2 years now (Has it been that long already?!) and have not come across 1 problem file. Everything plays in full HD with 5.1 surround over HDMI.

How much did you originally pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
what form factor is your existing case? You'd be reusing that, right?

What other components would you be reusing?
kyleshay Wrote:what form factor is your existing case? You'd be reusing that, right?

What other components would you be reusing?

I actually have everything in an IKEA cabinet, so I can fit all form factors Big Grin

I will be reusing everything except mobo with cpu, ram, gpu. Integrated passive psu to new mobo is a plus but not necessary.
This combination is working good for me:

[CPU] Intel Celeron E3400 Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA-775 65W ($43 + $0) eBay
[MOBO+iGPU] ZOTAC GF9300-K-E LGA-775 WiFi Mini-ITX ($105 + $0) Amazon
[RAM] CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1333 ($15 + $0) Amazon
lrusak Wrote:PS: you will probably need a discrete GPU to play 1080P, but I'm not 100%

No, the right integrated GPU will work just fine...

MTPPC Wrote:[MOBO+iGPU] ZOTAC GF9300-K-E LGA-775 WiFi Mini-ITX ($105 + $0) Amazon

Like this one.

I use this with a 35W Celeron chip I got on eBay for $20 and it runs 1080p great.

The UI can be a bit slower than if I were using a C2D chip, but that's rare...

-Wes
Anyone have experience by the AMD Hudson platform? Like the Asus E45M1-I Deluxe?
What about AMD E-450?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU...1I_DELUXE/

Does the E-350 and E-450 work well with xbmc-live? Openelec has a build for AMD Fusion but I don´t know about xbmc-live.

edit: sorry jonte, didn´t see your similar post Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New components for XBMCLive ASAP!0