Stream Pandora
Stream all my Flac Files
Play back MKV shows/movies
Play Blu Ray DVDs
Netflix
ESPN3 would be a nice addition

Looking for simple for WAF/kids.

To add a few questions/concerns -

1) What one in all remote would work well to control my Audio gear/htpc?

2) Is there a way to play music from the HTPC without actually turning the TV on? Something similiar to the Gizmo app for android that works with JR Media Center. I did a test with this and really liked it for the music part.

3) Which TV tuner would be best to get - hdhome run? also does the 3 tuner one only work with cable tv as I am only doing OTA.

5) To play physical blu ray discs what software is req'd for that -

I can do a test run with this on my current quad core PC to see if it fits my needs before moving forward.
cburbs Wrote:OK I am throwing this out there since I think this may be my only option -
In my main room I have the following items/purpose:
Tivo - Record OTA shows - no cable, netflix streaming
Oppo BDP80 - Play Blu Ray discs, can also stream stuff from the network
Squeezebox - Play flac music files

Will XBMC do the following -

allow me to watch OTA TV
Stream Pandora
Stream all my Flac Files
Play Blu Ray DVDs
Netflix
ESPN3 would be a nice addition

Looking for simple for WAF/kids.

To add a few questions/concerns -

1) What one in all remote would work well to control my Audio gear/htpc?

2) Is there a way to play music from the HTPC without actually turning the TV on? Something similiar to the Gizmo app for android that works with JR Media Center. I did a test with this and really liked it for the music part.

3) Which TV tuner would be best to get - hdhome run? also does the 3 tuner one only work with cable tv as I am only doing OTA.

5) To play physical blu ray discs what software is req'd for that -

I can do a test run with this on my current quad core PC to see if it fits my needs before moving forward.

This is for the straight up main XBMC. There is a PVR that I know nothing about so I won't speak about it.

allow me to watch OTA TV
Stream Pandora
Stream all my Flac Files
Play Blu Ray DVDs (You can do it somehow in Windows)
Netflix
ESPN3 would be a nice addition (Via Plugin)

1) Depends more on what receiver you have. If you have an MCE6 receiver you can set it up with about any remote. Also lookup FLIRC.

2) You can use it as an AirPlay sink. So you can stream music from iTunes or iPhone/iPod Touch.

3) You'll have to ask the XBMC-PVR guys

4) 42.

5) What are physical disks?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
To play physical disks:

You need MAKEMKV, that can stream them to XBMC. Or you could rip your blu-rays to MKVs and XBMC will play them fine.

If you have questions about FLIRC they have a forum now (see signature). FLIRC allows nearly every I/R remote to work with XBMC etc

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
For the music part is what I mean is I can use my android device to control my squeezebox/pandora.
Can I do that as well so I don't have to turn the TV on to get there?

If I setup a PC with a blu ray rom drive can XBMC play it back? If so How?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=880031&postcount=1
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=915...tcount=271

Will XBMC do bitstream DTS-HD MA & TrueHD?
HD Audio bitstreaming : The default/trunk XBMC 10.1 software doesn`t do HD audio bitstreaming. Atm, it only does DTS/DD bitstreaming (if HD audio is present it only bitstreams the DTS/DD core to the AVR). The new Audio Engine branch is being developed to adress the issue, and will be included in the main branch once it is finished. TrueHD is already finished, and work on DTS-HD MA has already begun

When doing an install does the following matter Compact Flash card, SD card , ssd?

What about Nvidia ION vs AMD 6310? One handle video playback better than other if looking at some of these smaller builds?

How about the difference between win7/xbmc, xbmc live, openelc install - What are key differences that makes one setup better than the other?
Comparison summery of the Live, Linux, Mac, Apple TV, and Windows versions of XBMC?
Quote:How about the difference between win7/xbmc, xbmc live, openelc install - What are key differences that makes one setup better than the other?

Windows 7 + XBMC allows you to open a web browser and play certain streams that XBMC doesn't have plugins for

Openelec/XBMCLive are quick and stipped down - though if you were deciding between the two I would go openelec

pseudo7 Wrote:Windows 7 + XBMC allows you to open a web browser and play certain streams that XBMC doesn't have plugins for

Openelec/XBMCLive are quick and stipped down - though if you were deciding between the two I would go openelec

That is a good point as I needed to stream the MNF game last night from the web.

I thought there is/was a firefox plugin for XBMC - wouldn't this allow me to do the above say in a Openelec install?
I'm not sure how well supported it is, a lot of people around these parts seem to use windows/ubuntu/mac if they require any web stuff via web browsers.

Windows if they require netflix

darkscout Wrote:4) 42.

That's fantastic.

Smile
darkscout Wrote:4) 42.

That actually made my day Big Grin
When doing an install does the following matter Compact Flash card, SD card , ssd?

What about Nvidia ION vs AMD 6310? One handle video playback better than other if looking at some of these smaller builds?
Nvidia.
It's all a matter of speed
SSD > HD > CF > SD.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Another question -

Does XBMC support chapters with MKV files...meaning can I skip chapters while watching a movie. I tested one of my movies and it went back out to the main screen. This was from my test win7/xbmc 10.1 setup.
take a look at this thread shows whats possible and it does not cover many many more things you can do with xbmc

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50589

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will XBMC do all the following for me?0