Plugin/Functionality to cope with moving of scraped files
I know this has been proposed/asked on and off during the last years. I am just wondering why it hasn't been done before...

The situation is this:

It sometimes happens that you have to move a couple of previously scraped files to a different location (let's say to a bigger drive). The only way (I know of) currently is to edit the DB directly, change all file paths to their correct new location and then cleanup the DB (hoping all my shares are accesible at the time of cleanup Wink)

Wouldn't an easy way to help with this be to have an plugin/functionality that checks if a movie already exists in the DB (by comparing it's metadata) and then instead of adding a new instance modify the existing entry to reflect the new location. This function could also ask the user what should be done (add new entry, correct old entry, correct all entrys and don't ask again for this library update).

I know MovingPictures does this for MediaPortal...is there a reason it never was done for XBMC? Or am I just wrong in assuming that this is a common problem? Wink
taalas Wrote:I know this has been proposed/asked on and off during the last years. I am just wondering why it hasn't been done before...

The situation is this:

It sometimes happens that you have to move a couple of previously scraped files to a different location (let's say to a bigger drive). The only way (I know of) currently is to edit the DB directly, change all file paths to their correct new location and then cleanup the DB (hoping all my shares are accesible at the time of cleanup Wink)

Wouldn't an easy way to help with this be to have an plugin/functionality that checks if a movie already exists in the DB (by comparing it's metadata) and then instead of adding a new instance modify the existing entry to reflect the new location. This function could also ask the user what should be done (add new entry, correct old entry, correct all entrys and don't ask again for this library update).

I know MovingPictures does this for MediaPortal...is there a reason it never was done for XBMC? Or am I just wrong in assuming that this is a common problem? Wink

I wrote a Python program that moves video folders/files, modifies the database and renames all the thumbs. I got zero replies when I released it in the Supplemental Tools forum so either it's not needed or it sucks.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96787

One limitation was that since it's a standalone app and not a plugin it doesn't work with SMB paths because there's no native support for SMB in Python. I concur that it should be a built-in feature. The XBMC file manager allows you to move files but it doesn't make the necessary database or metadata modifications. I haven't looked at the Eden database schema but perhaps they got rid of the code that decides a file is new if the path changes.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Thanks for your answer.

I would gladly test your script but I definitely need direct SMB paths since most my files are on SMB shares.

As for the database changes: I am using the latest nightlies but havent found any differences in file detection (from a users point of view). My files usually get added as new movies and loose their watched status etc.

The main reason I was asking is the fact that I was puzzled that no one else seems to have these problems or no one else is moving files Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plugin/Functionality to cope with moving of scraped files0