Buffering is driving me nuts
Sorry guys but I have tried everything.

I have XBMC on ATV1, with files on two 1TB external USB drives plugged into a PC that's on all the time and is on a wired network.

Having upgraded everything including firmwares, nightlies etc for some reason I get buffering every 5 minutes on ONE of the drives. The other one works fine.

They both worked great for the last year and now I have this problem with files on one of the drives.

I know its not an ATV problem as it is buffering on the Popcorn hour that I have too.

Please does anyone know what it could be as I have checked my network, wire etc.

Many thanks
Are these two external drives identical? If one is a "green" drive with a very strict spindown policy I could imagine this causing the problem...

That said I am using a WD Green drive for one of my shares and the only instance I have ever seen buffering is from an unstable WLAN connection, not from the drive.
taalas Wrote:Are these two external drives identical? If one is a "green" drive with a very strict spindown policy I could imagine this causing the problem...

That said I am using a WD Green drive for one of my shares and the only instance I have ever seen buffering is from an unstable WLAN connection, not from the drive.

They are both identical in every way and as far as can tell from the 'properties' of each, with the same settings.
You might want to run some kind of hard drive diagnostics program on the slower hard drive to make sure it's not having issues. Taking longer to seek (read) files on a drive can be a sign that a drive is about to go.

----
In honor of the title of this thread:

Quote:So, a pirate walks into a bar. Looks like the quintessential pirate -- peg leg, hook on one hand, eye patch, the whole nine yards. In addition to all this, he's got a steering wheel hanging from his pecker.

He walks up to the bar, and orders a whiskey. The bartender pours the pirate a glass, and says to him "I don't want to offend, but I thought you should know -- you've got a steering wheel attached to your pecker." The pirate nods his head, and says:

"Arrr, it's driving me nuts."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering is driving me nuts0