[Windows] XBMC Running Slow
Recently XBMC has been running very slow. Mainly when changing between selected menu items and when entering a new screen (i.e TV Movies

A cannot identify the exact time it started being slow as a recently move countires and have not used xbmc for a couple of months.

I recently upgraded from Dharma to the nightly builds and I am not sure if this maybe caused the issue.

I have an Acer Revo R3610 with windows 7.

My media is stored on an external USB drive connected to the Revo.

Does anyone know what might be causing this slow down or how I might speed XBMC up?
Might be a skin issue. Have you tried a newer skin that was made for pre Eden?
I am using what I believe is the default confluence one which now has a horizontal menu?
yeap same problem, high cpu usage as soon as i launch xbmc although im using the latest nightly.

stuttering between menus and when you fast forward videos it stalls for a like 5 seconds.
The nightlies seem to be pretty much unusable on windows 7 64bit at least, myself and friends have been testing them on all sorts of hardware and anything with a decent sized library becomes completely unusable after a short time. I'd say its completely impossible to run a dedicated windows xbmc htpc with nightly builds for now (i confirmed this with xbmc becoming unusably slow on an i7 @ 4.5ghz, 4x raid 0 ssd's and 16gb of ram machine). I desperately wanted to get it usable on my e-350 and even had it all running in a ram drive to get somewhat acceptable performance, but overnight it just destroys itself to the point of being unusable. I finally gave up after days of testing and went super overkill i5, ssd, 8gb ram, geforce 210 and mint linux running the latest nightlies and it absolutely fly's! Hopefully the windows builds get sorted out before eden goes stable, all my windows running friends are really suffering.
I was having the same problem. I had tried several skins including the default confluence skin. Screens would hang/freeze on almost any button press, stop / pause buttons would take a minute to respond. All manner of hellish hanging.
On a hunch I took out the thumbnail substitution path from advancedsettings.xml and let XBMC use local storage for it. Worked a treat.
I don't know if the problem was specifically caused by having path substitution for a shared central thumbnail repository or the fact that the shared thumbnail folder had been created by XBMC 10.1, so I decided to test it.
After deleting the contents of the thumbnail folder and putting path substitution back in I found the problems came back. even with no new thumbnails being generated in the now empty shared thumbnail folder. Switching back to local thumbnails once again put things back to working order. Regardless of the skin used.
My network connection to the share was not the source of the problem since the share was on the same windows 7 PC as XBMC. It must have something to do with using an SMB share. Maybe something for the developers to check out.
I hope this helps.

Path substitution entries look like this.
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>PROTOCOL://YOUR_NETWORK_SHARE/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
Step by step solution to speeding up my system.
  • Edit advancedsettings.xml
  • Remove path substitution entries (as above)
  • Save advancedsettings.xml
  • Restart XBMC
Advanced settings file location
  • Vista/Windows 7: Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml
Mupet
Path subs for thumbs will always make XBMC run slower. To what extent depends on network speed, size of library, etc.
sorry old post

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] XBMC Running Slow0