MCE Remote "LiveTV" button - How do you USE it?
I've been searching the forums and the wiki over how to setup my system to use this button. I have an MCE remote that has a button named "Live TV". The receiver flashes it has received the button press and I get this output in the debug log

Code:
LIRC: Update - NEW at 203242345:000000037ff07bda 00 LiveTV mceusb (LiveTV)

I've tried to rationalise the wiki stuff with this code, but the wiki says this buttons code is "231"

This is the how I put it in the "Remote.xml" file

<livetv>XBMC.Activatewindow(309)</livetv>

Can someone help me to get this to work? Thx
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Add it to a Lircmap.xml.

Then map that to something you want it to do.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Add it to a Lircmap.xml.

Then map that to something you want it to do.

Thx for the pointer. I tired to do what you've suggested. I created a lirc.xml file and installed the code as thus...

<livetv>LiveTV</livetv>

Then added my function to remote.xml

This did not work. Have I missed something?

One image in the wiki showed a remote (MCE Extender Remote) like mine and it had the "LiveTV" button already mapped. Is anyone else using this button? Thx
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
What your looking to do is map this remotes button to a code/tag XBMC knows. You'll want to undo what you've done so far.

What you need to do, is create the "Lircmap.xml" file (it is case sensitive) in your userdata folder, or add the <livetv> tag to the default Lircmap.xml file. (See below)

Have a look at the Lircmap.xml wiki page (Lircmap.xml), this will tell you how to build/construct a Lircmap.xml file.

The Keymap.xml wiki page (under the "Remote Section") will tell you what codes/tags XBMC knows. (Keymap.xml) If you look at the tags, XBMC already knows the <livetv> tag, so it just needs to be told to use it.

You can find the default Lircmap.xml file used by XBMC in "/usr/local/share/xbmc/system/". You could modify this one or create a new one located in your home directory "$HOME/.xbmc/userdata/" just for your remote.

If you create a new one in your home directory, it should look something like this, based on the information you've posted.
Code:
<lircmap>
     <remote device="mceusb">
          <livetv>LiveTV</livetv>
     </remote>
</lircmap>

If you wanted to modify the default, (make note your changes will probably be wiped out every time you upgrade.) open the Lircmap.xml file and add the <livetv> tag to the list under the mceusb device.
Code:
<lircmap>
    <remote device="[b]mceusb[/b]">
                [b]<livetv>LiveTV</livetv>[/b]
        <play>Play</play>
        <pause>Pause</pause>
        <stop>Stop</stop>
        <forward>Forward</forward>
        <reverse>Rewind</reverse>
        <left>Left</left>
        <right>Right</right>
        <up>Up</up>
        <down>Down</down>
        <select>OK</select>
                ....etc....

Hope this helps you get started. I'll try to check back, in case you have any questions. Nod
NightStormWolf Wrote:What your looking to do is map this remotes button to a code/tag XBMC knows. You'll want to undo what you've done so far.

What you need to do, is create the "Lircmap.xml" file (it is case sensitive) in your userdata folder, or add the <livetv> tag to the default Lircmap.xml file. (See below)

Have a look at the Lircmap.xml wiki page (Lircmap.xml), this will tell you how to build/construct a Lircmap.xml file.

The Keymap.xml wiki page (under the "Remote Section") will tell you what codes/tags XBMC knows. (Keymap.xml) If you look at the tags, XBMC already knows the <livetv> tag, so it just needs to be told to use it.

You can find the default Lircmap.xml file used by XBMC in "/usr/local/share/xbmc/system/". You could modify this one or create a new one located in your home directory "$HOME/.xbmc/userdata/" just for your remote.

If you create a new one in your home directory, it should look something like this, based on the information you've posted.
Code:
<lircmap>
     <remote device="mceusb">
          <livetv>LiveTV</livetv>
     </remote>
</lircmap>

If you wanted to modify the default, (make note your changes will probably be wiped out every time you upgrade.) open the Lircmap.xml file and add the <livetv> tag to the list under the mceusb device.
Code:
<lircmap>
    <remote device="[b]mceusb[/b]">
                [b]<livetv>LiveTV</livetv>[/b]
        <play>Play</play>
        <pause>Pause</pause>
        <stop>Stop</stop>
        <forward>Forward</forward>
        <reverse>Rewind</reverse>
        <left>Left</left>
        <right>Right</right>
        <up>Up</up>
        <down>Down</down>
        <select>OK</select>
                ....etc....

Hope this helps you get started. I'll try to check back, in case you have any questions. Nod

Thx for this. I'm pretty sure I tried this variation though. I'll give it another shot and see what is happening. Thx again.
Hey NightStormWolf,

I just checked and this is exactly how I set it all up.

Still no go??

I'd like to add the command directly to the lircmap.xml in the "/usr/share/xbmc/system" directory just to make sure, but it won't let me. How to I alter this file under linux? I use Putty/WinSCP, but obviously the permissions are wrong or something?
You mean you can't change the file from the console (when using Putty). Check who the file owner is, if it's not you change it as root...
taalas Wrote:You mean you can't change the file from the console (when using Putty). Check who the file owner is, if it's not you change it as root...

I thought this forum was in English!! Big Grin Big Grin

You are probably correct. I can probably change the file in putty, but I don't know how to edit the file via putty. I'm not sure what editor you use at the command line, or how to do it via that process. Oo
Don't edit the system files. It'll get overwritten when you update.

Edit the ones in ~/.xbmc/
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
KidKiwi Wrote:I thought this forum was in English!! Big Grin Big Grin

I actually read this a couple of times afraid of having written nonsense before (as english isn't my first language) Big Grin

Like darkscout said you can also edit the files in your home directory (that's the one that you should start in using WinSCP when logging in with the xbmc user).

If you need step by step instructions for this please let me know.
taalas Wrote:I actually read this a couple of times afraid of having written nonsense before (as english isn't my first language) Big Grin

Sorry about that. It was me being cheeky because the post was in technobabble - something I don't truly understand Oo Big Grin Big Grin

While I realise modding the Lircmap in the system area will be overwritten by an upgrade, I have found that sometimes it is the only way to get things to work. I have managed to change the write permissions on the file, so I could mod it via WinSCP. Have to try it now...
Update:

As I suspected, adding a lircmap.xml file to the home directory didn't do the job. Once I modded the system wide lircmap, I got the LiveTV button working as it should (after I figured the permissions issue Shocked).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote "LiveTV" button - How do you USE it?0