My first build/attempt to create the perfect HD HTPC
I have just built my first HTPC with the goal of having both HD video and audio working seamlessly. I am pleased to report excellent preliminary results thus far. Here is the build:

1. AMD A8-3850-----139.99

2. ASRock A75M----95.00

3. Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler---------34.99

4. Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB----119.9

5. Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)--------50.49

6. SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B micro-ATX------92.84.

7. Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80

8. Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition-------16.00

9. LG Bluray drive internal drive.

I really like the case because it matches my denon receiver perfectly. The case is very well designed and the instructions are surprisingly well written, which is nice for a smaller/first build. There is about 1cm clearance between the CPU fan and the Bluray drive which is more then enough. The base CPU temperature during Bluray playback is about 36 degree with all fans at 50% speed.

This is my first time using XBMC and I have over 500 blurry movies (BD folder format). Browsing is fast...there is NO lag whatsoever. The boot time is also ridiculously fast!

The picture is crystal clear and the colours are as good as any other media player/bluray drive that I have used. Overscan was very easy to configure using the catalyst software.

So far HD audio works seamlessly (I used the instruction in Bluray's signature). My Denon receiver light's up DTS-HD MSTR/Dolby TrueHD so I'm pleased with this.

I have much to learn and setup. Here are a few things I'm working on:

1. Disable movie subtitles by default (currently all movies are displaying english subs)

2. My fan art is not being displayed (I use My Movies and have selected to use XBMC metadata which correctly identified all my movies). I have to figure out how to use fanart with XBMC.

3. I haven't seen any judder yet but my TV is displaying 60hz, so I assume I'll see it eventually.

4. I need to enable bluray disk playback in XBMC (I think Bluray has a guide for this?)

5. I need to have XBMC startup immediately. I won't use the HTPC for anything but media playback.

I have a few pics of the build which I will post. Anyway going to watch Green Lantern in all it's HD glory.
Gunserotti- congratulation and enjoy it bud!

to playback bluray directly on bd-rom, you can use this guide- post #271.

if you have thor with 7.1 dts-hd, throw it in there. you'll jump off your seat! Laugh
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
WOW! another AMD A8-3850.....

to start XBMC on start up just add a shortcut to the startup folder.

and if you want to delay it a bit to start say 5 seconds just on the shortcut hit properties and add this...

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 5

5 is how many seconds it will be delayed.....

more info....

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114095
i put a 10 sec delay Tongue
the A8-3850 is gaining popularity ^_^ keep 'em coming
WhiteLighter Wrote:the A8-3850 is gaining popularity ^_^ keep 'em coming

yes, i has made its way into my HTPC guide!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first build/attempt to create the perfect HD HTPC0