• 24(current)
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D
(2012-10-16, 20:35)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-10-16, 20:00)deathbringer Wrote: It seems those Onkyo models are not available in germany.

I'm just thinking about getting an extra GeForce GPU, since my Notebook has a GT230M and it's working fine with my AVR. This should be cheaper than changing the HTPC from AMD to Intel. Any suggestions on a silent GeForce GPU that fits in a Silverstone GD06 case with a 300W PSU alongside the A8-3850?

A GT210 maybe......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GT210-32-...190&sr=8-2
He want a discrete GPU that allow him to utilize his Denon AVR1611 for bitstreaming HD audio......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I was going to get a GT610 for ~40€, but then I was convinced to get a Zotac GT640 Zone (fanless) for ~90€, so I could use the HTPC for playing some Diablo 3 too. Hopefully the nVidia GPU will fix my problem. I'll let you know, thanks for your help.
(2012-10-17, 00:33)deathbringer Wrote: I was going to get a GT610 for ~40€, but then I was convinced to get a Zotac GT640 Zone (fanless) for ~90€, so I could use the HTPC for playing some Diablo 3 too. Hopefully the nVidia GPU will fix my problem. I'll let you know, thanks for your help.
Wow....you're going for the kill, and I saluted you on it......

(2012-10-17, 00:33)deathbringer Wrote: I was going to get a GT610 for ~40€, but then I was convinced to get a Zotac GT640 Zone (fanless) for ~90€, so I could use the HTPC for playing some Diablo 3 too. Hopefully the nVidia GPU will fix my problem. I'll let you know, thanks for your help.

That is one nice sexy looking card...
Let us know how it all goes.....

I would like to know the temps it gets.

I had a weird experience with my i3-2100 and my Onkyo AVR (SR605) when watching live TV, especially football (American). It would be almost like the framerate would be half normal, then go back to normal, then go back again. Everyone noticed it when I had everyone over for the game just after I built it. Throwing a video card ($25 HD5450 whih is now even cheaper) at it fixed the issues after days of messing around with codecs and everything else. But then upstairs for that TV, no issues with the G620.

Who knows sometimes! Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up in the air and throw more money at the problem Smile.
(2012-10-17, 08:45)Beer40oz Wrote:

That is one nice sexy looking card...
Let us know how it all goes.....

I would like to know the temps it gets.

It is the benefit of having bigger case. He can install nicer discrete GPU and aftermarket CPU cooler....

(2012-10-17, 14:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I had a weird experience with my i3-2100 and my Onkyo AVR (SR605) when watching live TV, especially football (American). It would be almost like the framerate would be half normal, then go back to normal, then go back again. Everyone noticed it when I had everyone over for the game just after I built it. Throwing a video card ($25 HD5450 whih is now even cheaper) at it fixed the issues after days of messing around with codecs and everything else. But then upstairs for that TV, no issues with the G620.
I noticed that before too....I remember that I fixed it by setting HDTV to Auto Motion and AVR to pass-thru video.....

Every system is different in many ways.....

Ok, I#m back home and tested changing the pixel format, that did not fix the problem. I than updated my Catalyst driver to 12.9 beta, which seemed to have fix the problem. I tested it the same way as before and there were no flashes for about 15 minutes, but than as I exited XBMC and returned to the desktop there was one flash again.
The GT640 arrived today, will install it tomorrow, hopefully the HDMI cable I ordered arrives tomorrow, since the GT640 only has a mini-HDMI port. I'll let you know the results.
(2012-10-18, 22:38)deathbringer Wrote: Ok, I#m back home and tested changing the pixel format, that did not fix the problem. I than updated my Catalyst driver to 12.9 beta, which seemed to have fix the problem. I tested it the same way as before and there were no flashes for about 15 minutes, but than as I exited XBMC and returned to the desktop there was one flash again.
The GT640 arrived today, will install it tomorrow, hopefully the HDMI cable I ordered arrives tomorrow, since the GT640 only has a mini-HDMI port. I'll let you know the results.

Nice please do... I hope it all works out good. I hate it when things do not work.
It seems to work fine with the nVidia card, did not see any flashing during a short test. Besides that I still have to return the card. Why? Well, see for yourself: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/mg343501.jpg/
That's what happens when the stated dimensions (20 x 110 x 152 mm) are not correct, due to the card's passive cooling it is a lot higher than 110mm. So I'll have to find another nVidia card suitable for my case. At least I know now I can fix the problem with a nVidia card and don't need to return the whole HTPC. Diablo 3 looked pretty cool with that card, no comparison to GT230M in my notebook. But since the Zotac is the only fanless GT640, I'll think I better focus on the HTPC part and remain playing Diablo 3 with lower graphics on my notebook. I don't want to have a HTPC standing in the living room that sounds like a airplane. Currently I have the case fans not attached and the CPU fan reduced to ~1600rpm (set at 4/10 of the ASRock mainboard), so it's almost unhearable.
What a bummer.... why not cut a hole on top of the lid? Would look like a fast and furious HTPC....

What other fan less card are you thinking about?

I think I'll just wait a little while, I tested a little bit with the Catalyst 12.9 beta at the weekend and I did not get any flashing while in XBMC, So the new driver version did bring a severe improvment, as far as I can tell up until now. So if it stays that way it's ok for me, keeping in mind that I can resolve this issue any time by just adding a nVidia card.
I built Eskro's A8-3870 build last year but used my older Antec case and PSU. I've since framed out the A/V cabinet so the Antec face (silver plastic) is visible and the noise from the PSU fan is driving me crazy.

I've also removed the 2 x 7200 rpm drives now that I have a NAS.

I don't use the ROM drive so that is coming out as well.

My build will now consist of the A75M mobo, 8 GB RAM, A8-3870 CPU, and 64 GB SSD.

Can I get a couple current suggestions on simple black case & PSU for this build?

Could I use an external PSU? Sorry I don't know the proper term for the external bar PS that have no fan.
Van G
-eskro's A8-3870 | Win 8 | Frodo 12.2 | RC-6 | Harmony 900-
Hi all,

I am an experienced PC user but I am completely new to HTPCs and XBMC Big Grin. I would like to build an HTPC like the one descibed in this topic but I have questions related to audio:

I have an hd tv that is connected with HDMI to a Samsung HT-E5500 5.1 home cinema set.
Can I just connect the HTPC to the HT-E5500 with a single HDMI cable that transfers audio and video so that the HT-E5500 will use the audio and forwards the video (over a second HDMI cable) to the TV?

Will I be able to play all common surround sound standards that are included in MKV downloads that you find on the net?

If this is not possible; what do I need to play surround sound on my HT-E5500 with this HTPC?

I hope you can help me Huh.
(2012-12-27, 18:45)Verschoor Wrote: I have an hd tv that is connected with HDMI to a Samsung HT-E5500 5.1 home cinema set.
Can I just connect the HTPC to the HT-E5500 with a single HDMI cable that transfers audio and video so that the HT-E5500 will use the audio and forwards the video (over a second HDMI cable) to the TV?
Check out this thread for tips- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

Anyone know what drivers I need to use in order to get this build working with Win 8?

I've started another thread: ASRock A75M on Win 8: driver?

I've tried the ASRock AMD-all-in-1 drivers listed on the site and the current (13.4) Catalyst drivers package but neither have replaced the current MS High Definition Audio Device drivers.

Suggestions?
Van G
-eskro's A8-3870 | Win 8 | Frodo 12.2 | RC-6 | Harmony 900-
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D1