• 7(current)
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
bluray Wrote:It'll be a solid HTPC. As far as the noise, you can try it "As Is" first. If you think that it is too noisy, you can always replace the fan afterward!

what would you think about the Lian case, would it fit or is it a no-go? its a small case and i dont know if its worth the hassle.
Does anyone with a A6-3500 able to provide real world idle and XBMC playback usage numbers in WATTS? I was wondering what I can expect vs my current setup when I plan to build a system this year.
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
Riderzzz Wrote:what would you think about the Lian case, would it fit or is it a no-go? its a small case and i dont know if its worth the hassle.
With 3.7" overall height, it might be very tought to fit any aftermarket CPU cooler in the future!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:With 3.7" overall height, it might be very tought to fit any aftermarket CPU cooler in the future!

all right. thanks for the info! (what would be a minimum height for later cpu cooler heights for if i wanna have another case?)

I'm checking the prices in Holland and i can get them there pretty much cheaper.
Will post later what i have ordered.
pyrodex Wrote:Does anyone with a A6-3500 able to provide real world idle and XBMC playback usage numbers in WATTS? I was wondering what I can expect vs my current setup when I plan to build a system this year.

With CPUID Hardware MOnitor, I get ~28W at idle and ~32-35W at media playback.

Not sure about the reliability of this software to monitor power consumption though.
bluray Wrote:With 3.7" overall height, it might be very tought to fit any aftermarket CPU cooler in the future!

To go into the matter.
I would like to know/learn the size contra fan issues.

I see that the SilverStone MILO ML03 is 10.3 cm high and the Lian Li pc-c37 has on overall height of 9.4 cm. A difference of 9 mm.
How can i calculate (before i buy) what kind of problems i will have buying the lian li case and how can i know wich aftermarket fan could fit (if i would need it?)
I can see that the Scythe BIG Shuriken is only 125x135x58 mm (overall), isnt that enough?
I'm just trying to understand the building measurement requirements.

Anyone else in here who tried plaing with this LianLi case?

Im am looking now on the Lian li website and i see they have a identical case but only a little bit higher.
PC-C37U 435 x 107 x 400mm (W, H, D)
Specs: CPU cooler height: 65mm
This would match the Silverstone case height of 10.3

Alot of questions for the same subject, just a bit insecure to buy thw wrong item.....

Thanks for the help.
As the specs say a max height of 65mm then the Scythe Big Shuriken will be your best choice, though there is the version 2 now available but not 100% sure how it compares to the original.

If you didn't have the max height spec then you would have had to taken into account the standoff height from the bottom of the case and the thickness of the motherboard + cpu.
saitrix Wrote:As the specs say a max height of 65mm then the Scythe Big Shuriken will be your best choice, though there is the version 2 now available but not 100% sure how it compares to the original.

If you didn't have the max height spec then you would have had to taken into account the standoff height from the bottom of the case and the thickness of the motherboard + cpu.

logics came back to me :-) thanks for the fast reply!

gonna nose into the webstores.
Riderzzz Wrote:I can see that the Scythe BIG Shuriken is only 125x135x58 mm (overall), isnt that enough?
The overall height is the height from the motherboard to top of the CPU cooler fan. You might want to add the height of the standoff from the bottom of the case to the top of the motherboard too. You need to have some room between the top of the CPU fan to the top case cover too. If the top of the fan is button against the top case cover it'll not have good air flow....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I heard that the stock cooler with adjustments to the speed is a fairly silent cooler, will this cooler fit the case? Does somebody know what the dimensions of this cooler are?

Otherwise i guess i have to move on to another case, just hate giving up Smile
Just had a look at the specs for the new Big Shuriken 2, looks like the fan can idle at a lower speed than the old one and there is an extra heatpipe. So if it isn't much more I'd go for that. SPCR has reviewed the first version here.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article964-page3.html

As you can see it came out the best out of the lot, so the few improvements of the 2nd version as you can guess it will cool the cpu the best in that size case. If I am honest I would be worrying more about the noise of the psu, if you are only going to run the A6-3500 then I would use a 120/150W PicoPsu to power it, that way it removes another fan from the system and a little less heat.
couple of newbie questions:

1) from the "Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?" thread, it says
Q:Out of those builds, which one can play 3D 1080P movies?
Q. Out of those builds, which one can Bitstream DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER audio?
A. Except the A6 & A8 builds, none of them till you add...

Does this mean, with this A6 build you don't need to add the HD6450 for 1080p 3D and Bitstream HD?

2) From that same thread, I'm assuming XBMC Live will not run on this system?

3) If I do need to install windows, do I need to add a SATA DVD drive for the install? I have an old Windows XP install CD, any issues with running that vs. purchasing a new Windows 7? Or can I create an XP install from a USB flash drive based on that CD (tried a little searching on this and sounds like I can, but just want to confirm if I misunderstood or if I better off getting Windows7 and a DVD drive for install)
1) exactly, no need for a 3rd party video card

2) ATI and Linux is not recommended, driver issues

3) yes u can install windows using a USB Flash Drive
eskro Wrote:1) exactly, no need for a 3rd party video card

2) ATI and Linux is not recommended, driver issues

3) yes u can install windows using a USB Flash Drive

whats up with this little apu-monster, A6-3500 eats both TRUE-HD/DTS-HD and 3D 1080P? jeez...

to bad i don't have that mobo u suggest here, will the gigabyte a75m-udh2 do a decent job as replacement? do all these new mobos come with hdmi 1.4?

(http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-A75M-UD2H...772&sr=1-1)

thanks for invaluable advice.
Yea the UDH2 is really good basically the only difference is that you have 4 Ram slots instead of 2, DVI and only 2 rear USB3 ports.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D1