• 2(current)
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
Question 
1. How many case fans should I put in an A6-3500 build with the Silverstone ml03b case?

2. 80mm is the max fan size for the ml03b case?

3. Can I live with the stock thermal tape on the A6-3500, or should I buy a better compound so that I can maybe keep my fans running slower and quieter?
ElanX Wrote:1. How many case fans should I put in an A6-3500 build with the Silverstone ml03b case?

3. Can I live with the stock thermal tape on the A6-3500, or should I buy a better compound so that I can maybe keep my fans running slower and quieter?

1. For the fans, my opinion is the more you have, the slower they can spin. So you should check how much you can control.

2. I think so. The Noctua RF8 can be plugged directly to the PSU and use a resistance and they can spîn as slowly as 800RPM.

3. Don't know, I bought a thermal compumnd and my temps after 80min of 1080p files was ~40C. So quite low!
Balinus Wrote:1. For the fans, my opinion is the more you have, the slower they can spin. So you should check how much you can control.

2. I think so. The Noctua RF8 can be plugged directly to the PSU and use a resistance and they can spîn as slowly as 800RPM.

3. Don't know, I bought a thermal compumnd and my temps after 80min of 1080p files was ~40C. So quite low!

Thanks. I enjoyed your build post btw.

I'll be using a SSD, no optical drive, no cards, and a PSU with a 120mm fan if it makes a difference.
ElanX Wrote:Thanks. I enjoyed your build post btw.

I'll be using a SSD, no optical drive, no cards, and a PSU with a 120mm fan if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Your power consumption will be quite low with your chosen components, that's nice. So, you won't need many fans to cool your HTPC.
ottothecow Wrote:I'm not a hoarder--most stuff I watch will never get watched again and I go through every once and a while for some "spring cleaning" and delete tons of stuff--so it won't bother me to keep data on a 500gb drive until prices drop.

I love keeping all my movies and stuff. People come over they are like Woah! thats cool. Well once in a while I like to re-watch...
Beer40oz Wrote:I love keeping all my movies and stuff. People come over they are like Woah! thats cool. Well once in a while I like to re-watch...

I do, too, but up in the attic on a server. I want my HTPC itself to be quiet and cool.
ElanX Wrote:I do, too, but up in the attic on a server. I want my HTPC itself to be quiet and cool.

Exactly! Smile No need to hear the HDD running also.
ElanX Wrote:1. How many case fans should I put in an A6-3500 build with the Silverstone ml03b case?

I would install a couple of this silent fan (11dBA noise level max is un-believable) in it. The cooler the case compartment the better for all the component in it. Smile

Silenx IXP5211 iXtrema Pro Fan - 80mm x 15mm, 11dBA, 18CFM
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:I would install a couple of this silent fan (11dBA noise level max is un-believable) in it. The cooler the case compartment the better for all the component in it. Smile

Which?

Looking at this fan I saw Beer40oz used:

ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan
1500 RPM, 24 CFM, 14 dBA, and very cheap when you buy more than one.

Anyone know if its speed/noise can be lowered with software? Or would I need something like the NZXT SENTRY 2 Touch Fan Controller Beer40oz used?

If not a couple of the Enermax, I was looking at these variable speed fans:
-GELID Solutions FN-PX08-20 80mm Case Fan with Intelligent PWM control
-GELID Solutions FN-TX08-20 80mm Case Fan with Superior Temperature Control
-SilenX IXP-54-14T 80mm Case Fan
ElanX Wrote:Which?
Oooop, I thought that I enclosed it. Here it is- Silenx IXP5211 iXtrema Pro Fan - 80mm x 15mm, 11dBA, 18CFM. I don't think that there is any 80mm/1600rpm case fan silencer than 11dBA noise level.
That'll be XXdB when rated at full speed though, you should be able to slow it down with software.

If you can't control the fan speeds with software and/or your mobo then you could always solder a small resistor into the fan power cable.

I should add that I've not had to mess with case fan speeds for about 5 years and also am not an electronics wiz, but I know it can very easily be done. I imagine you'd have to experiment with a few different strength resistors in order to get a nice balance of speed vs ventilation?

I had a massive Arctic Cooling cpu cooler for my old K6 that spun at around 400rpm, you couldn't hear it at all.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:That'll be XXdB when rated at full speed though, you should be able to slow it down with software.
Yes, when you shop for a fan you want to select one with the lowest dBA at its maximum RPM. It'll insure that you get the quietest fan. Whether or not you want to slow down the fan speed is depending on the temperature of the component. In the case of CPU and GPU, you might not want to lower the fan speed if you want it to stay cool at certain temperature. With better dBA spec, you'll know you get a better fan! Smile
ElanX Wrote:ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan

Think I'm going to try 2-3 of those based on them being cheap and 14 dba at their max 1500 rpm. Hopefully I can get away with running them at half speed.
ElanX Wrote:Think I'm going to try 2-3 of those based on them being cheap and 14 dba at their max 1500 rpm. Hopefully I can get away with running them at half speed.

Good choice on the fans.....

Maybe get a fan controller like this one and cut it so it fits your case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811995073

Or here you go..... you get 3 speeds internal....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811996016

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835118217

Yes my ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm is at 40% and it's the only fan I am using in my case. And everything inside stays cool.
When it's at 100% yes you can hear it a little.

Great fan.
Beer40oz Wrote:Good choice on the fans.....

Maybe get a fan controller like this one and cut it so it fits your case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811995073

Or here you go..... you get 3 speeds internal....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811996016

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835118217

Yes my ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm is at 40% and it's the only fan I am using in my case. And everything inside stays cool.
When it's at 100% yes you can hear it a little.

Great fan.

I'd even be willing to use the NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller you used, because I'm not using the external 5.25" bay for an optical drive. But can't I just use software like SpeedFan to lower the fan speeds? (ASRock A75M mb) Isn't that better?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D1