• 3(current)
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
ElanX Wrote:I'd even be willing to use the NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller you used, because I'm not using the external 5.25" bay for an optical drive. But can't I just use software like SpeedFan to lower the fan speeds? (ASRock A75M mb) Isn't that better?

I don't think you are going to be able to do it with that fan. Sentry is nice. You can turn off the screen if it bothers you.
Beer40oz Wrote:I don't think you are going to be able to do it with that fan. Sentry is nice. You can turn off the screen if it bothers you.

Will it cool the case to a desired temperture, or is it just a manual fan control and temperature guage?
ElanX Wrote:Will it cool the case to a desired temperture, or is it just a manual fan control and temperature guage?

Ummm no it will not cool the case..... has a temperature probe and its ready for 5 fans.
Nice to see this case getting the eskro rec lol.

I can also back his statements that going for a physically smaller PSU for this case is a MUST. Check my siggy for an example...
Beer40oz Wrote:I don't think you are going to be able to do it with that fan. Sentry is nice. You can turn off the screen if it bothers you.

I'll see in person if I get it, but I think I like the screen. It would add something to the 99% black front of my case.

Beer40oz Wrote:Ummm no it will not cool the case..... has a temperature probe and its ready for 5 fans.

Sorry, I meant, in conjunction with fans. Like do you set fan speeds, and it tells you the temperature, or do you set a desired temperature, and it adjusts fan speeds to maintain it?
ElanX Wrote:I'll see in person if I get it, but I think I like the screen. It would add something to the 99% black front of my case.

Sorry, I meant, in conjunction with fans. Like do you set fan speeds, and it tells you the temperature, or do you set a desired temperature, and it adjusts fan speeds to maintain it?

Well it has a feature that is Automatic and I guess it will adjust your fans to the temps inside.... I never used it .... so i have no clue.... newegg has reviews...
I like it, think Im going to build it
I ordered those enermax fans last week and hopefully they will get delivered today.

My plan was to run 2. I think my motherboard only has one case fan terminal so I might not be able to do software speed control...but I have an extra zalman fanmate2 that I could throw in there (or try a 5v or 7v mod on the cable).

As for the thermal paste on the CPU...the stock stuff is fine. I think I might upgrade to that shuriken 2 cooler to keep it quieter (which might also then pull more air through the top port on the case) in which case I will use arctic silver 5 instead of whatever it comes with. With the OEM cooler...I didn't want to have to strip off that perfectly good thermal pad just to apply some AS5...but since I will have to clean the CPU to switch coolers, I might as well apply the AS5. I don't know that the AS5 actually makes a differance...but it is like $5 and the tube lasts for years and years so I just keep using the one I bought in 2004.
ottothecow Wrote:I ordered those enermax fans last week and hopefully they will get delivered today.

My plan was to run 2. I think my motherboard only has one case fan terminal so I might not be able to do software speed control...but I have an extra zalman fanmate2 that I could throw in there (or try a 5v or 7v mod on the cable).

As for the thermal paste on the CPU...the stock stuff is fine. I think I might upgrade to that shuriken 2 cooler to keep it quieter (which might also then pull more air through the top port on the case) in which case I will use arctic silver 5 instead of whatever it comes with. With the OEM cooler...I didn't want to have to strip off that perfectly good thermal pad just to apply some AS5...but since I will have to clean the CPU to switch coolers, I might as well apply the AS5. I don't know that the AS5 actually makes a differance...but it is like $5 and the tube lasts for years and years so I just keep using the one I bought in 2004.

I ordered a few of the Enermax. I think they'll be quiet enough, even if I don't tune them down. I'll try with software, and if it bugs me, I'll order something else for more control.

I am worried about the volume on the stock cooler's fan. I think I'll end up changing the fan at least.

I think the stock thermal is probably fine, but I agree, for so cheap, I got something else too.
ElanX Wrote:I ordered a few of the Enermax. I think they'll be quiet enough, even if I don't tune them down. I'll try with software, and if it bugs me, I'll order something else for more control.

I am worried about the volume on the stock cooler's fan. I think I'll end up changing the fan at least.

I think the stock thermal is probably fine, but I agree, for so cheap, I got something else too.

The nice thing about those enermax fans is that they get a volume discount from newegg so 2 only cost a little more than buying one (since you lose free shipping but pay less than half for each).

The stock cooler isn't what I would call quiet but I think it might be So-So. I have not had time to get mine set up so I don't know what it will be like in action--the fan is not quiet on boot up...but almost all mobos start the fan at 100% speed until the system is up and running. In my experience with AMD cool'n'quiet, it will do a good job at throttling down the fan after the computer is started and stay relatively quiet.

Still might upgrade to the shuriken though...not sure there is much benefit to trying to find another 70mm fan that is quieter than stock when you could just go up to a quiet 100mm fan.
ottothecow Wrote:Still might upgrade to the shuriken though...not sure there is much benefit to trying to find another 70mm fan that is quieter than stock when you could just go up to a quiet 100mm fan.

I agree, I'd rather have a bigger one. I'll have to try and figure out if it will interfere with anything else in the case. My RAM is short at least.
ottothecow Wrote:I have not had time to get mine set up so I don't know what it will be like in action--the fan is not quiet on boot up...but almost all mobos start the fan at 100% speed until the system is up and running. In my experience with AMD cool'n'quiet, it will do a good job at throttling down the fan after the computer is started and stay relatively quiet.
It tend to do that when it underload during cold start!

ottothecow Wrote:Still might upgrade to the shuriken though...not sure there is much benefit to trying to find another 70mm fan that is quieter than stock when you could just go up to a quiet 100mm fan.
This CPU fan has very good dBA spec. Thermaltake CL-P0503 70mm Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler for AMD 65W Series
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:This CPU fan has very good dBA spec. Thermaltake CL-P0503 70mm Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler for AMD 65W Series

edit: whoops, thought you were saying that's the stock one. Anyone know how loud the stock one is? Is 30 dBA good for a CPU cooler?
ElanX Wrote:edit: whoops, thought you were saying that's the stock one. Anyone know how loud the stock one is? Is 30 dBA good for a CPU cooler?
30dBA at what RPM? If it is 30dBA at 2900rpm, I would say it is good! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:30dBA at what RPM? If it is 30dBA at 2900rpm, I would say it is good! Smile

The connector is only 3 pin though. So I'm guessing it might be hard ti slow down the fan to usable levels for an HTPC.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Micro-ATX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D1