• 8(current)
[Mini-ITX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D
What are you playing when you get the buffering issues? You could have buffering issues from an external hard drive over USB 2 with a 1080 Blu-ray image and you could definitely have it over any wireless network with just about any video. Find a way to run gigabit network cables, you'll be glad you did.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I haven't attempted anything beyond the pretty standard dvd/mkv rips. My wireless is pretty spotty but I haven't had any issues with my desktop on the same network so I'm guessing it's an issue specific to this build...
(2012-05-20, 22:31)noobius Wrote: I recently completed this build and I'm having a lot of buffering issues. Any ideas?

A6-3500
ASRock FM1/A75 mobo
Samsung Blu-Ray
Kingston HyperX (2X2) Ram (I was only able to fit 1 stick around the cooler)
Scyth Kozuti SCKZT-1000 Cooler
Patriot 32 GB Sata SSD

3tb WD Mybook live
Medialink Wireless adapter 150mbps

I'm assuming my issue is the 2GB of RAM but wanted to check here first. Should I be able to fit 2 sticks around the Scyth cooler?

I also thought the wireless adapter (150 mbps) may be a bit on the slow side?? Thanks in advance!

Did you share 512MB in bios to the graphics?
Onboard Video...
(2012-05-20, 23:51)noobius Wrote: I haven't attempted anything beyond the pretty standard dvd/mkv rips. My wireless is pretty spotty but I haven't had any issues with my desktop on the same network so I'm guessing it's an issue specific to this build...

Wireless would be my first suspicion. When you save "buffering", do you mean video tearing and pixelation? Wireless data rates are highly exaggerated.
Definitely going to go with the wireless as well.

WiFi is sketchy at best - some (rare) folks get good speeds, but it's been my experience over a number of routers and wifi adapters that it's pretty normal in real world use to get a tenth of the advertised throughput. God help you if you or your neighbors turn on a microwave or any number of other devices that can interfere, or if your HTPC is in a bad location relative to your router, or if the capricious gods of wifi just decide they hate you.

I'd recommend connecting your htpc to the router directly with an ethernet cable and seeing if the problem persists. Your server should be directly connected to the router as well (no wifi from media->htpc).

Mine - pretty much exactly as the OP - plays 1080p video flawlessly(even while multitasking, as it's also my media server. Before overclocking it, it would stutter a little bit (no buffering, mind, just poor framerates) on Netflix HD only, but that was due to the ever-crappy Silverlight plugin.

(2012-05-20, 22:31)noobius Wrote: I also thought the wireless adapter (150 mbps) may be a bit on the slow side?? Thanks in advance!
If he is using wireless adapter on his his HTPC, it's possible that the wireless signal is weak. I don't think there is anything wrong with his new HTPC other than weak wireless signal......

I'm not sure about XBMC, but in media player I can increase buffer....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The picture looks great- no tearing or pixilation, the movie pauses about a dozen times and buffers for about 10 seconds...

Was the My book live NAS a bad choice for storage? My thinking was that if I were to have multiple HTPC's it would be nice to have all my media on a single drive. Do most of you have an external drive connected directly to your HTPC?
(2012-05-21, 23:10)noobius Wrote: Do most of you have an external drive connected directly to your HTPC?
Mosf of my blu-ray files are ISO, because I enjoy watching movie in full 1080P with menu and bitstreaming HD audio. All my movies are stores in several USB 3.0 drives. The drives are very tiny, and it power by a single USB cable. It's very convenience, and it fit in my pocket too......

I have 300mbps wireless dongle for Internet streaming (Netflix and Vudu HD) only......no buffering.......

(2012-05-21, 23:10)noobius Wrote: The picture looks great- no tearing or pixilation, the movie pauses about a dozen times and buffers for about 10 seconds...
That is what I thought when you said buffering.....

(2012-05-21, 23:10)noobius Wrote: The picture looks great- no tearing or pixilation, the movie pauses about a dozen times and buffers for about 10 seconds...

Was the My book live NAS a bad choice for storage? My thinking was that if I were to have multiple HTPC's it would be nice to have all my media on a single drive. Do most of you have an external drive connected directly to your HTPC?

Definitely the wifi.

It's not that it can't work, lots of people get successful setups that way. However, wifi is a common failure point when streaming media.

Is your NAS box connected directly to your router, or is it on wifi as well?

Personally, my system has all my drives internally. The case noted in the op officially holds three, but you can cram two more in under the proper drive bays. Double sided foam tape is your friend - secure and vibration dampening! That said, I'd actually recommend the NAS route myself, as it eliminates a host of other issues: heat, limited physical space, etc.

But, to make an NAS box shine, it must have a wired connection to your network, and ideally your htpc should too. If you must have the htpc wireless, and you do have your NAS box wired, there are steps. You can take to get a better signal to your HTPC. Elevate your router, minimize obstructions (walls may be unavoidable, but have as few objects in the path as possible), definitely don't have electrical appliances in between the two (particularly things with motors, microwaves, refrigerators, etc.
[/quote]
Is your NAS box connected directly to your router, or is it on wifi as well?
[/quote]

The NAS box is connected directly to the router. The htpc will have to be wireless so I'll work on speeding up my wifi. Thanks for all the great advice, it's much appreciated!
(2012-05-22, 21:43)noobius Wrote: Is your NAS box connected directly to your router, or is it on wifi as well?

The NAS box is connected directly to the router. The htpc will have to be wireless so I'll work on speeding up my wifi. Thanks for all the great advice, it's much appreciated!
Sorry to say that the bottleneck is your WiFi....it might be fine with network and internet streaming 720P video, but streaming ripped blu-ray in 1080P will be troublesome....

For wireless option, you might have better luck with these-

-Netgear XAVB5001 Powerline

-Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM + Linksys Refurbished WET610N

The Ethernet over your household wiring adapters bluray linked are pretty cool, I've been eyeballing those setups for a while to ditch wifi for all my non-portable devices. Can't run cat5 everywhere as I rent. They're pretty pricy, but open up your whole home.

You CAN make wifi work in some situations, though. Another idea to help that is to look at picking up a pci wifi adapter with an external antenna, you can get substantially better reception than the little USB plugs.

And/or consider a simultaneous dual band N setup, where your machine communicates with the router on both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz at the same time. You get (ideally) twice the bandwidth, and as your signals are traveling over two greatly different frequencies, it can mitigate interference issues

But, there's always a risk with wifi that it's just not going to work out for you in the end, no matter what you do, because large 1080p files with full audio really tax your available bandwidth.

Moved to own thread
Merkoss, please create your own HTPC thread. thx
Hello everbody , I'm very new here and very new to HTPC. Anyhow , i am a #6-#7 user from eskros " which group do you belong " thread. Read through the thread which lead me to this thread. So my question and concerns are i see the parts list on page 1 , but if i dont know how to put it all together do anybody have a step-by-step guide on putting it all together ? When i buy the parts how do i put together ?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mini-ITX] A6-3500 (3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz) + HD6530D3