Low Power HTPC
Hello there,

I would like to build a really low power HTPC. My requirements are to play mkv in full 1080p and maybe run utorrent. I don't need 3D as I don't have a 3D TV or 3D content.

I will probably just run XBMC and Openelec

I already have this 130 Watt Winmate combined with a 220 Watt Liteonwhich i hope to reuse.

Also, while this might be a noob question what benefits do I get with building a HTPC vs something like WD Live?

Thank you for your help.
Also just wanted to add the other hardware I have. I hope to hook this to my Sony Bravia TV. I also have a Emotiva UMC-1 and in the process of building the rest of my speakers.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165115
Thank you eskro. Would you know what the power consumption for this is likely to be?

Arun
My build is in here, but for your needs I'd recommend Raspberry Pi and it has half of the power consumption of my PC - to be honest, I'd buy it back then but it was almost impossible to buy and I didn't want to wait.
Or maybe WD TV box and flash it with WTXLTV firmware - but there's much less customisation available.
Thank you for your note esso82 I was under the impression that Raspberry Pi doesn't work with 1080P smoothly?
(2013-05-18, 17:07)Tornado54 Wrote: Thank you for your note esso82 I was under the impression that Raspberry Pi doesn't work with 1080P smoothly?

well, I can't say as I don't own one, maybe someone will be able to tell you ... As I said, my HTPC has very low power consumption but it is 10 times more expensive
(2013-05-18, 08:32)Tornado54 Wrote: Thank you eskro. Would you know what the power consumption for this is likely to be?

Arun

not mesured as i dont have it at hand yet,
but checking the components,
you can be sure it wont be a power eater!
The D2500/GT610 systems we build use under 30W at full load.
pretty good!
Thank you Dougie that certainly looks impressive. I was however hoping to get something around $150.
You'll pay $150 for just a Atom D2500/Nvidia GT610 motherboard.
I understand. Can I do without the Nvidia? I don't need 3D, Gaming or DTS as I have a Emotiva UMC-1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low Power HTPC0