Cheapest best XBMC box available for 1080p and fluid browsing?
I can abdicate the jump/seek function in the name of better quality, I'll try that... then I post an answer.

Wow, i wish i could find a i3 2100t processor here on Brazil, it is so hard to findo low tdp processors here... Unless they're come soldered on a cheap mobo.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Didn't worked, the processor of HP N40L [My File Server] is too slow for on-the-fly transcode, my laptop can do it, but i dont wanna include it on the media center setup. I guess I will try to reencode old animes and keep seeding only the new ones, users will be mad about too many torrents without seed. ATV1 just arrived on my home today! BCHD is arriving yet...

Do you think that OUYA [Tegra 3] will have the power to play 10bit anime?
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Too bad because it works well with my setup and give more life to my old Atom based pc. Try those reencode first and see if you like the results.

No, Hi10P required pure CPU power. XBMC dev has said OUYA won't have enough power to decode high-demand Hi10P. I think few 720p could be played because my Atom330 also can played few as well.

If Hi10P decoding ability is a must. You'll have to go HTPC way, no other way around. But even my old core2duo E8400 can played every Hi10P I have. So you didn't have to spend much if you can scrap many old parts together.
An Intel Celeron G540 beats my C2D that plays Hi10P, and can be had for $40 USD. Another $40 for an alright mobo, throw in RAM for around $20, cheap PSU for $30ish, maybe less. Skip the case and put the whole thing in a cabinet or shelf, or get creative. Boot from USB drive. Since its an 1155 CPU socket, you could even upgrade to a core i3 or i5 if you also wanted to do some more intensive tasks later on. That seems the best cheap plan for Hi10P that I can see.
You gave me an idea, I will hook an old ATOM netbook that I have somewhere in my house into my lan and try to make the on-the-fly transcode through it, maybe my NAS couldn't done it cz it has another server duties than just handle with file requests... Since the old ATOM its a quiet and low power device I can hide it near the LAN devices, and have almost no change in my eletric bill.

I actually cant go for the HTPC way, cz:
1- I dont wanna spend more money on video. I will marry my girlfriend.
2- I dont have space on TV room for that.
3- I will not have space on my future home.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Well, good luck with the atom doing the on-the-fly transcode.. I would think that it's too weak for that
(2013-04-02, 17:12)PatrickVogeli Wrote: Well, good luck with the atom doing the on-the-fly transcode.. I would think that it's too weak for that

You're right, it was too weak. Hi10P, isn't really a "MUST have", but I wanna it. Since my devices cant play it well enough without artifacts on the picture, I will have to reencode all my animes to 8bit, a million hours task...

I will buy an OUYA in the future, I wanna play some android games on tv and old console games too, but the ability to launch XBMC and play some files will good too.

Thx for all your support. =D
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Crystalbuntu 2.0 is out, and now, all my animes [10 bits - 720p] are playing just fine, there are some frame skips [~6 times in 20 mins], but I can live with that.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-05-18, 12:52)lukasnmd Wrote: Crystalbuntu 2.0 is out, and now, all my animes [10 bits - 720p] are playing just fine, there are some frame skips [~6 times in 20 mins], but I can live with that.

Negatory. What is happening is that the files are playing using the 8-bit profile. If you look closely then you will see occasional video artifacts. The 5-6 year old mobile Pentium M inside the ATV1 is barely fast enough to play basic profile h.264 in 720, let alone Hi10P. The BCHD cannot decode using the Hi10P profile either, so it's using the "8-bit" decoder.

I've tried it myself for shats and giggles, and it's simply not possible on the ATV1, not even on Crystalbuntu 2.0.

Depending on the video, the artifacts might not be that bad, but on many of them they will be very noticeable. It's the result of data that the 8-bit decoder can't handle.
I tested with crystalbuntu 1.0 with artifacts on video, and when I tested with crystalbuntu 2.0 I could watch all my episodes from Accel World [10bits 720p] without artifacts. Also I tried with another animes, and all of them are playing just fine, just some frame skips.

List of animes I tried:
[10bits - 720p]

Ozuma
Accel World
Sword Art Onlline
Byousuko 5cm
Ben-To
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I have an Apple TV 1 with BCHD15 and Crystalbuntu 2, as well, and I'm calling BS on those claims :)

Its right in front of me right now and I can tell you that it either shows a blank screen or shows artifacts with Hi10P content.
When I was with CB1 my ATV wont play 10bit, it used to show a black screen, but when I updated to CB2, SUDDENDLY it start to play 10bit content...

Can I upload an anime episode ["Ben-To", episode 01, 10 bits, 720p, 167MB ] ?

Or can you upload the file you want in 10 bits? And I record my ATV playing?

Why my ATV play 10 bit content? I dont know.

This is the BCHD card that I have, from this EXACTLY seller.
eBay BCHD Link

If you want I can also run tests, post logs, etc...

I got the last episode from ARROW, and had encoded into 10 bits myself.
x264 64bit 10bit-depth encoder from 'x264.nl'
And used this settings on '.bat' file:

" x264-10 --preset veryslow --tune animation --crf 18 -o %1.[10bits].mkv %1 "

and my ATV played fine, this time without frame skips [ I think it is because of the resolution, 480p w/o frame skips, 720p with some...]

Tested another file, this time with a soap-opera from Brazil [Flor do Caribe] encoded with the same settings.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest best XBMC box available for 1080p and fluid browsing?0