Does XBMC run on any mediabox - Boxee Box or other?
angstyandroid Wrote:Since ATV2 only has the ability to link with a network, wireless or non wireless, can someone recommend another device that can link directly to a USB HD to receive the files from? I am seeking a way to by pass the need for an active computer in order for xbmc to run on my tv. Any suggestions on what hardware best runs xbmc and has the ability to act as the host with a usb two terabyte hard drive would be greatly appreciated, a link to a how to put it all together section would be super sweat as well.

NAS, router with a USB port ($30), Ethernet to USB adapter ($25), etc.

Although, my personal favorite is the ATV1 (a very different device) with a Broadcom Crystal HD. It has a USB port and can take an internal 2.5 IDE HDD. Load Linux on it and it runs like a champ and does 1080 output. Only catch if you have to buy them second hand and you lose wifi by adding the BCHD chip.

Other than that, there's some awesome little ATOM nettops that are just as small or smaller (but cost a little more) that are great. I love mini-ITX motherboard based systems too. Get tons of USB ports and even SATA ports. Checkout the hardware subforum here for some great ideas. Zotac is a personal favorite brand of mine.
The OP mentioned installing XBMC on a Boxee Box. Why? For skinning? The Boxee Box have some really nice features that the base XBMC does not have, such as downloading subtitles on the fly and AirPlay support. XBMC is nice, but there are some quirkiness in the UI that has been simplified on Boxee. I have both a Boxee Box and XBMC running on a Net box.
sflxn Wrote:The OP mentioned installing XBMC on a Boxee Box. Why? For skinning? The Boxee Box have some really nice features that the base XBMC does not have, such as downloading subtitles on the fly and AirPlay support. XBMC is nice, but there are some quirkiness in the UI that has been simplified on Boxee. I have both a Boxee Box and XBMC running on a Net box.

XBMC is currently able to download subtitles on the fly, and AirPlay support has been added for Eden (XBMC v11) which is coming out soon. UI can be changed with skin files, and there is a Boxee skin clone called XeeBo.
Ned Scott Wrote:XBMC is currently able to download subtitles on the fly, and AirPlay support has been added for Eden (XBMC v11) which is coming out soon. UI can be changed with skin files, and there is a Boxee skin clone called XeeBo.

I currently use XeeBo, not because I love the Boxee look. When it comes to watching media, I like the UI to be simple. Xeebo is closer to the Boxee simplicity than any of the other skins. There are some really slick looking skins out there, but there are still quirks that I really don't need when I just want to watch a video. XBMC could really use skin profiles. For every skin, you can enable simple, normal, or xbmc hacker profiles. Simple profile would be like the true Boxee with streamlined UI.

I look forward to Airplay support. I bought one of the new Apple TV for Airplay and returned it because of the crappy image quality. Was so glad when Boxee added it. So far, it has worked flawlessly with my video podcasts.
Ned Scott Wrote:NAS, router with a USB port ($30), Ethernet to USB adapter ($25), etc.

Can You tell me more specifically which router and adapter combo might work and how to configure the hardward. I apologize or the lack of understanding on my part, its been many years since I have last connected a network in my home. If you can recommend a good router and adapter that will meet this need I would appreciate it, also some guidance. Thanks for your considerations.

TV > ATV2 > Ethernet cable to USB adapter > NAS Router with a USB Port > 2TB USB HDD

I am guessing the above would be the correct configuration for the hardware, but I am utterly clueless on what actual hardware to purchase to put this theory into reality.
angstyandroid Wrote:Can You tell me more specifically which router and adapter combo might work and how to configure the hardward. I apologize or the lack of understanding on my part, its been many years since I have last connected a network in my home. If you can recommend a good router and adapter that will meet this need I would appreciate it, also some guidance. Thanks for your considerations.

TV > ATV2 > Ethernet cable to USB adapter > NAS Router with a USB Port > 2TB USB HDD

I am guessing the above would be the correct configuration for the hardware, but I am utterly clueless on what actual hardware to purchase to put this theory into reality.

You should only need:
TV > ATV2 > NAS Router with a USB Port > 2TB USB HDD
or
TV > ATV2 > any router> Ethernet cable to USB adapter > 2TB USB HDD

I suggest the new router though, since chances are it will work better than the USB adapter.

I run all my media off a 2TB USB HDD plugged into my Router that has a usb port on it. I just point XBMC to the networked hard drive and it streams in 1080p just fine.
errornumber419 Wrote:You should only need:
TV > ATV2 > NAS Router with a USB Port > 2TB USB HDD
or
TV > ATV2 > any router> Ethernet cable to USB adapter > 2TB USB HDD

I suggest the new router though, since chances are it will work better than the USB adapter.

I run all my media off a 2TB USB HDD plugged into my Router that has a usb port on it. I just point XBMC to the networked hard drive and it streams in 1080p just fine.

where to buy it ?
...Ethernet cable to USB adapter...

can you recommend some
Just get a router with a USB port that supports HDDs. They'll be about the same price as the USB to ethernet interface.
Quote:Just get a router with a USB port that supports HDDs
If possible get one that do not require a win or mac client software and/or make sure it is possible to install e.g dd-wrt on it to solve the first issue. I made this misstake and my device is not supported by dd-wrt.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC run on any mediabox - Boxee Box or other?0