[LINUX] Lirc and Apple Remote long press hack
Also note, that if you are using a non-apple system (macbook pro, etc.) you will need to buy an apple IR reciever (from a macbook pro) and solider in a usb cable.

I just loaded up xbmcbuntu and was thinking i'd try this out but just found out you cant used a standard serial IR receiver. Looks like i'm off to ebay searching~
How can i start xbmcbuntu (live) with the parameter -l /var/run/lirc/lircmangled
the http://teknogeekz.com/blog/?p=422 dosn´t work with the spare part 820-1947 (05ac:8240) but it does work with 820-2155 (05ac:8242)
I've tryed to set this up on a RaspBMC. I even went as far as to learn how to edit a service script to start/stop, but can't seem to make the silver remote have the long press.

Changed the startup script for XMBC by changing the /scripts/xmbc-watchdog.sh.
Where there was:
Code:
su - pi -c "export XBMC_HOME=$(readlink /home/pi/.xbmc-current)'/xbmc-bin/share/xbmc' ; LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcofi_rpi.so /home/pi
/.xbmc-current/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd 2>&1 | logger -t xbmc"
I wrote:
Code:
su - pi -c "export XBMC_HOME=$(readlink /home/pi/.xbmc-current)'/xbmc-bin/share/xbmc' ; LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcofi_rpi.so /home/pi/.xbmc-current/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircmangled 2>&1 | logger -t xbmc"
XBMC actually starts, but i have to run the phyton script manualy for it to create the lircmangled at /var/run/lirc/. After all this, althoug irw shows the signals from the IR comand, XBMC doesn't. I would love to no how to check if everything is workning fine, but i don't know how to control the phyton proxy.

Any help with this would be apreciated.
joiegils: I'm not sure how xbmcbuntu starts xbmc. It probably depends on which version you are running. It might be an xsession.. so maybe look in /usr/share/xsessions.. or edit the/usr/bin/xbmc-standalone if it is used?

designerferro: I dont have a RaspberryPI and have never used RaspBMC. Is it an openelec build? Perhaps ask on their forums. Last time I looked at OpenELEC it already had a daemon interpreting lircd output, and this conflicted with my python daemon. Not having a pressing need to find a solution, I gave up.
From your description it sounds a bit like you need to run lircmangled before you start xbmc. Can you add another line to start it just before you run xbmc?
maybe something like:

su - pi -c "/path/to/your/install/of/lircmangled" 2>&1 | logger -t lircmangled &

Jules
Julian,

Thanks for the help. Raspbmc is Debian based as i understand it.

I am trying to run the lircmangled before XBMC starts, but for some reason it wont appear at /var/run/lirc/. Tryed changing ownership, but root take over at boot. Thought the su - pi -c was what it meant... Im not that versed at command line ninja. Smile
Doing a small amount of reading, raspbmc uses upstart.. so the upstart script in my first post should work. Maybe we should go back a step.

Where did you save the lircmangled.py script?
Where did you save the upstart script? it should be in /etc/init/lircmangled.conf
If you run the stock raspbmc without any of my lircmangle additions.. what is the contents of the /var/run/lirc directory once xbmc is running?
How does raspbmc start xbmc?

Jules
Actually.. reading a tiny bit further.. it looks like raspbmc uses eventlircd. I dont think my script plays very nicely with eventlircd, although it wouldn't be too hard to make them work together. sorry designerferro. This is the same issue I mentioned with OpenELEC. Unfortunately I dont really have the time (or a pressing need) to make them work together at the moment. You could always have a go yourself.

You'd need to make lircmangled sit in between lircd and eventlircd, because eventlircd does its own mangling of the lirc stream.

Jules
Jules, I placed lircmangled at /usr/local/bin.

Im looking for the script that calls eventlircd to see what kind of changes it can be programmed to do for me. Smile
(2013-04-23, 09:58)joiegils Wrote: How can i start xbmcbuntu (live) with the parameter -l /var/run/lirc/lircmangled
the http://teknogeekz.com/blog/?p=422 dosn´t work with the spare part 820-1947 (05ac:8240) but it does work with 820-2155 (05ac:8242)

It is also confirmed to work with the 820-2306-a
Hello, this is exactly what i tried, it worked perfectly.

How could I change the code so that when I hold the button it only send one signal, instead of being sent while I holding?

That is, if you want to send two signals to keystrokes, I necessarily have to hold the key down for a while, release and press again.

If I keep holding the button only sends only one signal
Hi eudesafp.
What output do you get on the raw lirc socket when you hold down a button.. and what output do you get on the mangled lirc socket when you hold down a button?
(2013-11-07, 11:50)julian.neil Wrote: Hi eudesafp.
What output do you get on the raw lirc socket when you hold down a button.. and what output do you get on the mangled lirc socket when you hold down a button?

Hello Julian.neil, thanks for replying !

What i am wanting to do is the following , see eg this output when I hold down the "menu" of my remote Aple :

Code:
root@eudes-Macmini:/home# irw /var/run/lirc/lircmangled
0000000087ee0c02 00 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 01 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 02 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 03 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 04 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 05 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 00 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 01 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 02 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 03 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 04 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 05 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 06 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 07 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 08 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156
0000000087ee0c02 09 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156

I like it when I kept pressing the "menu" key appeared
only once " 0000000087ee0c02 KEY_MENU_HOLD A1156 00 "

I do not know if I have to change the script so I can do this by button , let's say I want the "menu" button and the "play" button , even when pressed it will only send a signal .

But the rest of the other buttons repeatedly keep sending signals .
when pressed .

If this is too complicated , I would help a lot if at least for this when held down the button , it was not repeatedly sent the signal , but only once .

Thanks again and any help is welcome !

Ps. Sorry for the bad english
Ok I understand what you want. Try modifying the code to look like that below. I have added an if clause around the line "self.mangle_proxy.send(...)"
Code:
                        if (self.hold_repeats >= hold_repeats):
                            # if we get >= n repeats all within time t of eachother consider it a long press
                            bits[2] += '_HOLD'
                            bits[1] = "%0.2X" % (self.hold_repeats - hold_repeats)
                            if (self.hold_repeats == hold_repeats or ( 'PLAY' not in bits[2] and 'MENU' not in bits[2] )):
                                self.mangle_proxy.send(' '.join(bits) + '\n')
                            self.last_line = None
It worked perfectly.

It was exactly what i needed, I believe that may be useful to more people.

Again, thank julian.neil.

(2013-11-11, 12:14)julian.neil Wrote: Ok I understand what you want. Try modifying the code to look like that below. I have added an if clause around the line "self.mangle_proxy.send(...)"
Code:
                        if (self.hold_repeats >= hold_repeats):
                            # if we get >= n repeats all within time t of eachother consider it a long press
                            bits[2] += '_HOLD'
                            bits[1] = "%0.2X" % (self.hold_repeats - hold_repeats)
                            if (self.hold_repeats == hold_repeats or ( 'PLAY' not in bits[2] and 'MENU' not in bits[2] )):
                                self.mangle_proxy.send(' '.join(bits) + '\n')
                            self.last_line = None
No problem. It was a good suggestion. It does improve its usability when navigating menus..
I was so used to the timing of the button repeat that I automatically took my finger off when holding down play or menu to prevent repeats.
I'll edit the original post to include it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Lirc and Apple Remote long press hack1