Looking to build a htpc/midrange gaming pc
problaze Wrote:If you do get the K make sure you get a P67 board though to take advantage of the K Big Grin

yeah, well, thing is,
the i5-2500 (locked) has limited overclock ability
which means you can only increase the turbo multiplier by 4x on P67 chipsets (total of 37x).

But with the i5-2500K (unlocked) you can increase the turbo multiplier to 57x on P67 chipsets.
For overclockers it's much better to just get the K version.
Ub3rr4v3 Wrote:I have a random question though if you guys can answer. How does this rig stand up next to an amd a8 with a 6670 in dual graphics mode.
i'm a fan of the a8-3850 apu, but i5+hd6870 as i suggested will trump a8-3850 apu. the i5+hd6870 will be a very powerful game rig!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
oh yeah, definitely, i5-2500K + HD6870 is a KiLLER COMBO!!
bluray Wrote:i'm a fan of the a8-3850 apu, but i5+hd6870 as i suggested will trump a8-3850 apu. the i5+hd6870 will be a very powerful game rig!

Awesome. This Is definitely the route I'm going to try to go then. Its a bit pricey, but that performance is awesome.
Ok guys this is the build I've come up with. I want to play almost any game I want at 1080p. With those specs I'm fairly certain I can also play any media file I can throw at this.

I decided on the silverstone case because I think it would go perfect on the entertainment cabinet under the tv. Everything else was based around the 2500k and the video card.

Is there any mods I should make to this build to shave some dollars or increase the awesome? I'm not willing to go any higher as this is already the top of the budget the mrs set for me. its at around 820 before rebates. If possible I would like to go down to 750 before rebates.

Thanks again for the help guys.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2vrB
i agreed that it is always better to stick to budget. most of us tend to get carry away with spec and not our planned budget. myself, i like to stick to budget as possible. with proper cpu and gpu, it will work just fine for game.

i'm not sure that the hd6870 will fit in the case you selected. the overall height of the case is lower than the overall height of hd6870. it will probably fit in the silverstone in the suggestion in my post #2 though.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
whats your 'almost' final hardware list??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to build a htpc/midrange gaming pc0