WE NEED an Android Port....
for this exact reason......

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/andr...-tech.html
You WANT an Android port.

There is a difference. Kick off your shoes and start writing code.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Or run it on this

http://www.fxitech.com/products/

Now that would be cool
I don't think it's at all fair to ask for an Android port in this way.

The devs have explained many times in the Android port feature request thread why it is not currently happening.

As soon as the Android NDK is available, as soon as code can be written in C++ for it, as soon as the video acceleration API is open-source, as soon as devs get Android hardware, etc.

There are several devs interested, but it can't happen yet...

-Wes
Who wants to get up and touch the screen, and who wants greasy finger marks all over as well?
I think logic is overrated in these areas. I can't think of any possible use for a 65 inch Android tablet, but I still want one :-)

JR
dsimages Wrote:for this exact reason......

I guess between the word need and have are only 25 millions commits .-)

Let us be honestly ... Running the current XBMC on a Android Tablet has the same chance like runnning it on a PS3 or XBOX. The developers of XBMC allready handle 3 different Operating-Systems and to introduce a 4 OS with
limited usage doesn't make sense ....
It doesn't make any more or less sense than running it on iOS... in fact it probably makes more sense than running it on over priced hardware that has limited connectivity without spending even more of your hard earned. But with the devs favouring a certain fruit it would make Google the new MS.
dsimages Wrote:for this exact reason......

When I grew up, we had a TV without a remote, so we had to get up every time we wanted to switch the channel (which wasn't often because there weren't more than a handful) or change the volume. I was very happy when we got a TV with a remote.

Not too long ago, we connected a laptop to the TV every time we wanted to watch a film so we had to get up every time we wanted to watch another film, change films, watch the next episode or what not. I was very happy when we got the Apple TV.

Today, I try to teach the small ones not to touch the TV screen.

So I have a hard time understanding why you would want an Android port so that you can get up every time you need to do something, and touch the screen to do it.
Geeba Wrote:It doesn't make any more or less sense than running it on iOS... in fact it probably makes more sense than running it on over priced hardware that has limited connectivity without spending even more of your hard earned. But with the devs favouring a certain fruit it would make Google the new MS.

WE DO NOT FAVOR A CERTAIN FRUIT. You won't find a more devoted apple hater out there than me.

it's about TECHNICAL issues, NOT about politics.
Most android players suck and there's only one good media library apk... so xbmc on android would be a killer apk.
There's lot of room in the android apk market for xbmc and that probably would get more users in other platforms also.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Discussion here so far there are a couple of developers that want to help but no one has step up the plate yet.

I would really really love xbmc on android aswell and will help with any donations when this is going.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Ok, listen close android whiners, as spiff mentioned "it's about TECHNICAL issues, NOT about politics." got that, here let me say it again.

"it's about TECHNICAL issues, NOT about politics."

once more for the boys in the back not paying attention.

"it's about TECHNICAL issues, NOT about politics."

Got it ? Now STFU and let us get back to herding the code monkeys.

XBMC is a monster app, one of the biggest around even for desktop. Getting it to run on embedded is NON-TRIVIAL. There are many, many issues that need to be addressed for a successful port.

It's not just a simple matter of compiling for android. Just to get a clue, there are 45+ dependent libs that also have to be present. With most of these, no lib mean NO PORT. Once these are done, then there's GLES rendering, then hw video decode. Note, no hw video decode and XBMC is USELESS. Same for jpeg decode. It must be accelerated or you wait 5-10 SECONDS for some background image to appear.

There is an effort underway, it is going slow but steady. And that's all I'm going to say about it. Don't ask, don't pester, just let us do what we do best and one day.... pop and the XBMC for android port will appear.
Geeba Wrote:It doesn't make any more or less sense than running it on iOS... in fact it probably makes more sense than running it on over priced hardware that has limited connectivity without spending even more of your hard earned. But with the devs favouring a certain fruit it would make Google the new MS.

XBMC was already getting compiled under XCode for OS X.

Apple has made it VERY easy to compile stuff for iOS using XCode. I'm trivializing what the devs did, but flip a few switches and tada. iOS port.

Android development is done in Java. XBMC is written in C/C++.

You notice one is not the other?

Code:
It doesn't make any more or less sense than running it on iOS... in fact it probably makes more sense than running it on over priced hardware that has limited connectivity without spending even more of your hard earned.

Now this is just haters rambling. The AppleTV 2 costs $99. $89 if you find it on sale. The Beagleboard doesn't even cost that. I'd like to know how that counts as "over priced".
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:XBMC was already getting compiled under XCode for OS X.

Apple has made it VERY easy to compile stuff for iOS using XCode. I'm trivializing what the devs did, but flip a few switches and tada. iOS port.

You notice one is not the other?

Code:
It doesn't make any more or less sense than running it on iOS... in fact it probably makes more sense than running it on over priced hardware that has limited connectivity without spending even more of your hard earned.

Now this is just haters rambling. The AppleTV 2 costs $99. $89 if you find it on sale. The Beagleboard doesn't even cost that. I'd like to know how that counts as "over priced".

Apps for iOS are written in Objective-C as far as i know, so there was an amount of porting to be done, but Obj-C is a lot more similar to c/c++ than Java is.

Anyway, want a media library for Android? Here`s the solution, the XBMC copy-cat : Plex : http://www.plexapp.com/ . My friend has i on his Galaxy S2, works like a charm. I have it on my iPhone 3GS, works like a charm. Let the freaking XBMC devs finish up projects that have already been started (Audio Engine / PVR / Binary Addons) and then think about ports to other Operating Sistems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WE NEED an Android Port....0