[Live] Loss of network connectivity
All

I have an odd issue where XBMC Live will work for hours on end but then for some reason it drops my NIC. I will not have NAS access or internet access.
If I restart XBMC which in affect restarts the PC I will then have access.

Reason for my post is I am a linux noob so help in finding the route cause would be received gratfully.

I guess I need to look at NIC logs? Could some one advise me where to look
Does XBMC log nic issues etc? could some one direct me to what I should be looking at and what to look for in the logs?

I have the PC with a staticly assigned IP from my router. Could some one tell me how to manually assign an IP directly on linux so I can take statically assigned from DHCP out of the equation?

My install is a standard XBMC Live install, no additions etc. as I wanted to resolve the loss of network before I start adding/customising.

Thanks in advance
You may want look at /var/log/messages and perform a dmesg | grep eth.

The dmesg command will show you all entries with the phrase "eth" in them, so it's likely to be a lot, but you want to look for your ethernet controller, usually eth0 or eth1.

You can also check your IP status by performing an ifconfig command. This will show you all network interfaces and whether they have an IP address or not.

Network interface changes can be made in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Here's a link showing how to make dhcp to static changes to your NIC.
pumkinut Wrote:You may want look at /var/log/messages and perform a dmesg | grep eth.

The dmesg command will show you all entries with the phrase "eth" in them, so it's likely to be a lot, but you want to look for your ethernet controller, usually eth0 or eth1.

You can also check your IP status by performing an ifconfig command. This will show you all network interfaces and whether they have an IP address or not.

Network interface changes can be made in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Here's a link showing how to make dhcp to static changes to your NIC.

Thanks for your help. I will try this but I want to test something before I do this. Too many changes may suggest the wrong resolution. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Well I have good news! the issue has now been resolved.
The problem was the DHCP reservation.
For some reason the DHCP reservation oon the Belkin N1 Vision reuires you to add hostname, MAC address and ip to reserve.
Guess what, the hostname was incorrectly spelt.
Removed the reservation, re added with the correct host name and voila!

Thanks for all your help on this

NOTE TO SELF: check ur frickin speilling! Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Loss of network connectivity0