Playing HD video on ATV2
blacklist Wrote:BTW, there are quite a few things you can do to avoid stuttering and decoding issues. Look elsewhere in the forums to find some techniques, including being wired, adjusting your cache settings, and using a different transport protocol (SMB is the worst, FTP a little better, and WebDAV the best in my experiance)

Before you assume that its just a hardware decoding issue, make sure you eliminate all the other potential bottlenecks. I use an ATV2 now as my every day device and have no stuttering issues at all, all the way up to 1080 movie content..

I'm trying to get 1080i TV recordings to play on my ATV2. I'd like to try the 'WebDAV' thingo. My files are recorded in 'TS' format.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to set this up. I'm a bit of a hack at this and need all the help I can get.

I've also had trouble trying to setup the upnp also. My Windows 7 PC wont show up as a server on the network for some reason, whilst other PC's and my WD NAS do. I'd like to use the PC as the upnp device, but typically, it's the only one that won't show up.

Anyone know how to force it to show as a server. I'm able to find it on the network but that's all.

My goal is to be able to watch HD content on XBMC through the ATV2, however it's able to be done.
1080i in TS typically means mpeg2 and that video format is not hw accelerated which mean you cannot play it under the atv2.
davilla Wrote:1080i in TS typically means mpeg2 and that video format is not hw accelerated which mean you cannot play it under the atv2.

Sad
At the risk of being struck down by an XBMC dev. for even suggesting this (and awesome work folks, the best media center program out there, and the best MythTV frontend around)...

I've been pondering the HD video content on the atv2 for a while, I have an Acer Revo 3600 on the main TV, and pulling content off-the-air from an hdhomerun into a MythTV backend. I've been playing around with several different transcoding options, and while I think I've got one that should do the trick, the problem I'm having is that it consumes a lot of server time to transcode all of my recordings, just so they can be played back on the atv2. While typically only a couple of hours of recordings would get played back a week out of the 20 or so hours recorded.

Current solution is a script that can be run on a recording when I want to watch it on the atv2, but generally means waiting for it to finish.

Would it be possible to keep say, the TV library format, where it still has the list of available recordings, but from the atv2 if it's an mpeg2 formated recording it kicks off a transcode to h.264 job on the server, and then streams the output of the transcode job to the atv2 (similar to how mythweb does it's in browser streaming)? Marking a recording as watched would still mark the original mpeg2 file. Something agnostic to the backend, and just worked with the files, instead of trying to tie it say userjobs on MythTV.

I know the dev.'s are busy with the Eden release, just an idea I've been kicking around and wanted to put out there, I wish helping code something like this wasn't so far out of my league. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing HD video on ATV20