Time to replace old HTPC
Ok guys I need some advice on the best parts to get for my replacement HTPC.

My needs fit into group #7 on Eskro's thread.

I will be going to be picking up a new Optoma HD33 Projector this week, new AV amp, speakers and need a HTPC to suit.

I play mostly HD content (720 & 1080), some SD and soon to be playing 3D (hence the new setup).
All files are stored on a network server.

If possible gaming on the PC would be nice but not really required since I use the Xbox 360 most of the time.

Please can someone point me in the correct direction for a suitable setup (UK Retailers if possible).

Thanks in advance
Look at Silver's thread, he's also from UK trying to build an HTPC. I know that your needs are different from his, but looking the recommendations at his build is a nice start.
Motherboard (£76.61 + Delivered FREE)
Case + Power Supply (£36.94 + Delivered FREE)
Processor + Video (£99.99 + Delivered FREE)
Memory (£21.50 + Delivered FREE)
Windows Drive (£59.98 + Delivered FREE)
TOTAL: £295.02 Delivered!!
Thanks Eskro, do you know if the graphics card will work with the Optoma HD33 projector because I have read a few things about people requiring Nvidia 3D vision but maybe I miss interpreted the information.
Does anyone know about the 3d compatability with The Optoma HD33?
i dont see why i wouldnt be compatible,,,
those new APU's playback 3D movies when paired
with FM1 motherboards since these have HDMI 1.4 outputs!
Thanks very much for all your help Eskro, I will be ordering the parts tonight that you have listed.

Will that spec be any good for gaming? As I said before, its not important but it would be a nice bonus Smile
{{INX}} Wrote:Does anyone know about the 3d compatability with The Optoma HD33?
as long as optoma hd33 has 1.4 hdmi input, it doesn't matter what gpu you use to playback 3d content. the hd6550d in a8-3850 should be able to handle 3d with ease, and it's more powerful than the famouse nvidia gt430 too.

the a8-3850 in the link provided by eskro is a very capable apu. you can find full detail on it here- Great Gift (AMD A8-3850).
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
{{INX}} Wrote:Will that spec be any good for gaming? As I said before, its not important but it would be a nice bonus Smile
check out this link- AMD A8-3850 APU Review
Thanks for your help too Bluray, now I have the challenge of finding someone that has stock because it seems the big suppliers have sold out and are not getting stock for about 4 weeks Sad
Also the SSD is out of stock everywhere, but I have ordered the case, mobo and memory. Is there any other option as good for the ssd and APU?
try

AMD A8-3850

Patriot 32GB Torqx 2
Ok all the parts except the AMD A8-3850 have now arrived and I have just been told its not available any more. I have checked other sites and they are all the same.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that will work with the parts already purchased.

Thanks in advance Smile
{{INX}} Wrote:Ok all the parts except the AMD A8-3850 have now arrived and I have just been told its not available any more. I have checked other sites and they are all the same.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that will work with the parts already purchased.

Thanks in advance Smile
How about this place, and they have it with bundles too- AMD A8-3850. They have the AMD A6-3650 too!
Thanks Bluray but i am in the Uk
{{INX}} Wrote:Thanks Bluray but i am in the Uk
There are some available here- AMD A8-3850. You can replace it with AMD A6-3650 too. You'll have very similar performance! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to replace old HTPC0