Streaming XBMC on PC to TV connected to XBOX360
As a newbie here trying to search for this, I noted that XBOX360 will NOT be able to run XBMC.

My situation is a bit different (is'nt everyone's too?)

I am running nightly builds XBMC on a reasonably good HP Touchsmart PC. Works like a charm since I also have an option of hard-wiring the internet to that device.

My big-screen TV is connected to the Xbox360 in another location where I am unable to run the internet cable nor can I move the PC.

Given that I can run Win Media Center on XBox360 and stream video from the PC, if I run XBMC from within Win Media Center (saw a plugin here - http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/), can I get to see the videos running on XBMC on PC in all its glory on the TV running XBox360?

I have tried PlayOn before and am not impressed.

Regards

SR
XBMC has limited UPnP abilities that will most likely not serve your needs (or be able to play all videos).
The link you posted is a bit of a red herring. It just offers a way to switch between Media Center and XBMC. Ned is correct to say the XBMC has limited streaming abilities, but it's worth a try. Just run XBMC on the PC and enable uPnP from System settings, Network, Services, "Share video and music libraries through UPnP". Leave XBMC running, and see if your XBox can find the XBMC uPnP server.

Note that XBMC will only share media that has been scanned into it's library.

The main limitation is that the XBMC uPnP server just streams the media straight from the disk. So if it's in a video format that the XBox 360 doesn't understand, the XBox won't be able to play it.

JR
UPNP has worked fine for me in the past but if the xbox is limited in its formats then that could be an issue.
However, there are many software solutions to make your content available via UPNP - the catch is, you don't get the benefit of your database, watched status, etcetera, but that wasn't going to work even in xbmc native upnp.

I'm not sure if plex offers upnp, but if it does it would be the best solution. They include a pretty decent transcoding engine. And you can run their media server on windows now, and it will nicely stream to your android phone as well with metadata and all.

If not, then choices to investigate are: tversity, Orb, ps3 media server.

Beyond that, there are lesser known options that you'll have to search for.
I don't use UPNP anymore because I got sick of the limitations and touchyness of the various implementations and bit the bullet and built myself shoebox PC's wherever I had a TV or a screen. With mysql its very polished.

good luck
bluenote Wrote:I don't use UPNP anymore because I got sick of the limitations and touchyness of the various implementations and bit the bullet and built myself shoebox PC's wherever I had a TV or a screen. With mysql its very polished.

good luck

agreed.
also, if you can find someone getting rid of an old system that has at least a 3.0ghz P4 w/ 2gb ram and the cheapest video card that will work (im using an nVida fx5200 pci in the system i had to set up for this same problem) you can get by rather cheaply.
its not going to be the best, but it will work and it will work cheaply if you strip down windows to the bare essentials and choose a lightweight skin (im using neon on this system with no issues.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming XBMC on PC to TV connected to XBOX3600