Video playback crashes
Today, xbmc crashed again two times, as always after watching ca. 20min of HD video. It happened with 720p handbrake produced video as well as with HD videos from the earth touch plugin, so it seems to happen with all HD video content.

I deleted nitoTV and thumbnails cache, so that lack of memory should ot be the problem.

There is no crashlog. The xbmc.log looks like the ones I already uploaded. The syslog entries show severeal "Stream error occurred..".

Anybody knows such kind of error?

Nov 27 20:07:55 AppleTV apsd[46]: <APSCourier: 0x179a30>: Stream error occurred for <APSTCPStream: 0x1948a0>: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=32 "The operation cou
ldn\U2019t be completed. Broken pipe" UserInfo=0x1517a0 {}
Nov 27 20:08:00 AppleTV syslogd[2389]: --- syslogd restarted ---
Nov 27 20:08:00 AppleTV kernel[0]: virtual void AppleRGBOUT::do_power_state_change(): fSoft: 0 fHard: 1 swapBusy: 0 fController: 1 -> 0
Nov 27 20:08:00 AppleTV kernel[0]: bool AppleRGBOUT::power_down_hardware()
Nov 27 20:08:00 AppleTV kernel[0]: bool AppleRGBOUT::power_down_hardware(), stop the link

Appreciate any help.
I just notived that there are several low-memory logs in the Crashreporter dir with the timestamps equal to the time of the video playback crashes.
So the crashes are due to low memory!

The latest low memory crash log is at: http://pastebin.com/kg0DXrcd

Anybody can read something out of this log?
there is nothing we can read out of lowmemory logs ... sorry ... and i can't give you any advice ... beside removing all addons you have ... walking in the dark here.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
hmm, that sounds like almost no hope for a solution ;(

My last try will be to reduce memory consumption.

Is a low memory crash due to low RAM or low disk space?

What can I do to reduce RAM consumption? Deinstall add-ons?

Regarding disk space, df -h shows that

/dev/disk0s1s1 uses 507M of 569M (89%) and
/dev/disk0s1s2 uses 674M of 6.9G (10%).

Could low disk space on /dev/disk0s1s1 be the problem? I already deleted the video cache files. What else could I delete to increase disk space on /dev/disk0s1s1?
are only certain files crashing ? or mainly big ones (trying to rule out an issue with your nas, or whatever you are streaming from) did you try playing the file that causes the crash directly from the atv2 ? or maybe even try from another laptop ?
just my 2 cents here....
Its allways due to low RAM.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Ah..not fully awake yet Smile sorry

So, I assume we don't want to start from scratch and re-JB and see if that solves the issue ....
I wonder how xbmc can crash due to low RAM, when the only software that I have installed is xbmc with the default skin (+ some addons).

Don't you think that the reason could be a bug in xbmc related to memory management when multiple HD video files are queued for playback?

Anyway, I will first try to reduce RAM consumption. How much RAM should be free? How can I check the current RAM consumption on the command line? /proc/meminfo does not exist...

@Jester: I had the same problem with different video files: 576p and 720p produced by handbrake and even HD video streamed from earth touch addon.

My video files are streamed from my new NAS via ethernet cable. It works perfectly from my laptop.

That's why my conclusion was that neither the video files nor the NAS or the connection to the NAS should be the reason for the crashes.
since you don't seem to have much on the xbmc side of things, how about atv2 stuff? installed anything there which might be causing low mem issue ?
if you really want to go overboard, id re-jb the atv (untethered 4.3) and just install xbmc - update be gone - latest nightly and see what happens
atv2xbmcuser Wrote:I wonder how xbmc can crash due to low RAM, when the only software that I have installed is xbmc with the default skin (+ some addons).

Don't you think that the reason could be a bug in xbmc related to memory management when multiple HD video files are queued for playback?

Anyway, I will first try to reduce RAM consumption. How much RAM should be free? How can I check the current RAM consumption on the command line? /proc/meminfo does not exist...

@Jester: I had the same problem with different video files: 576p and 720p produced by handbrake and even HD video streamed from earth touch addon.

My video files are streamed from my new NAS via ethernet cable. It works perfectly from my laptop.

That's why my conclusion was that neither the video files nor the NAS or the connection to the NAS should be the reason for the crashes.

its a bit difficult on atv2 ... xbmc is only some kind of plugin (they call it frappliance) to the frontrow. So every piece of software, including every frapp outside of xbmc, xbmc itself of course, allways gets loaded to ram ... it doesn't even need to run for consuming ram.

And of course we all would be totally convinced that it is caused by a broken memorymanagement in XBMC if it only would be a generic problem which all users would experience.

Most important thing - we the devs can't reproduce that problem ( i for myself throw everything on my atv2 which i can find - size doesn't matter - i never got out of memory in just playing movies)

... so sorry that we can't help every user instantly...
I now have done several test to narrow done the problem:

The main problem is: Playing back any of my canon camcorder videos in a loop (1080i AVCHD transcoded to 720p mp4 videos using handbrake) crash xbmc (lowmemory) after roughly 10-20 loops. It also crashed if playing back different videos in a playlist after roughly 10-20 playbacks. It doesn't matter if the video is stored locally on the Apple TV or streamed from the NAS. I also tried many different handbrake transcoding settings without success. Deleting add-ons and freeing disk space and RAM on the Apple TV 2 also didn't help. I have only xbmc installed and I deleted all cache files (e.g. video cache). System Info Shows roughly 50% Memory usage.

Streaming the above mentioned videos to a windows 7 laptop and playing them back in a loop using windows media player is no problem. Playing back a downloaded 720p movie trailer on the Apple TV 2 in a loop is also no problem.

So it seems that xbmc has a problem with specific videos when played in a Loop or playlist even if they are transcoded using handbrake apple tv 2 presets to 720p mp4 videos.

I uploaded one of my handbrake transcoded 720p mp4 video as an example:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1MXFXGZ6

Please download and play it back in a loop on you Apple TV. Does your xbmc crash as well after playing back the above video in a loop 10-20 times (at least 30minutes)? Then it should be a bug in xbmc.

The way I played back the Videos in a Loop: press "menu" on the Video file, Click "Queue item", Click "now playing", press "left" Button on Remote, Choose "Repeat: all".
memphiz: my xmbc systems info shows roughly 50% free memory and still there are low memory crashes when playing back the specific movies in a loop as described above. Is 50% too much? How much free memory do you guys have?

Can someone please test the looped playback of above video file? I'd like to know if the problem is specific to my setup or possibly a bug in xmbc. Thx.
Have a look at what is happening from ssh using top
Code:
apt-get install top
That should show you what is happening to memory usage.
Thanks, I installed "top" and watched the free memory while playing above mentioned videos in a loop. The result is that the free memory was decreasing by ~5MB almost each time the loop started again. It seams that the allocated memory is not released after the video ended.

I noticed that there are warnings and errors by CDVDPlayer in the xbmc.log that may be related to this problem:

Code:
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED

The xbmc.log can be found at http://pastebin.com/Cv6Zc732
Is this only with the file you uploaded or with ANY file you play in a loop ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback crashes0