Somewhat cheeky - Selling apple tv with xbmc for an extra £40
Sad 
Just come across this on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-TV-2-2nd...1c2144324e

He is selling a jailbroken atv (which you can do for free)
With XBMC (which is free)
With Icefilms (also free)

And is charging an extra £40 compared to a new atv for all the free software.

Seems a little cheeky to be earning money off all the people that have worked hard and unpaid to bring us XBMC and the Icefilms plugin
HTPC
PC: Home Built
Processor: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 980 ti
Ram: 16GB DDR4
XBMC: Kodi Jarvis
Skin: Aeon Badnox Beta

Not illegal.
How do you know he's not donating back.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Not illegal.

Didn't say it was illegal... Just cheeky...

I don't know if donations are being made back to xbmc or the creators of the plugin's this person is selling. However, I doubt (personal opinion) that is the case. May be the person selling these via Ebay, would like to come forward and confirm if this is indeed the case.

Surely, if XBMC and the plugins are being sold, they should be sold with the express agreement of XBMC and with the agreement of the author of each plugin. After all, it is their hard work....

Just my own view....
HTPC

if someone without the knowledge to do this or is just lazy, 40 bucks isnt that bad of a deal imo
darkscout Wrote:Not illegal.

I believe that's debatable, based on the country you are in. Perhaps it would be better to say that it doesn't violate the terms of the GPL, to the best of our knowledge.
There's nothing wrong with this, so long as they follow the requirements of the licenses (in particular, GPL). They could fall foul of the ATV license (I don't know it, but I imagine it includes "don't jailbreak" clauses).

They're not charging for the "free software". It takes some time and effort to jailbreak, install, etc. Plus there is some risk assumed by the seller. What if they brick the device? What if they're sued by Apple? What's wrong with being compensated for this?
People will pay geek squad $100+ to put in a disk image and let it run. Or $50 to the neighbours kid to install avast and firefox and curse them under his breath. With that $40 to jailbreak ATV2 and install software just in a labour sense seems fair.

This particular sale seems shady because of the warranty bit and using xbmc as the selling point but that could just be me.
blutendes Wrote:.....seems shady ........ and using xbmc as the selling point but that could just be me.

I think alot of us feel this way because we use xbmc daily and we know that there are alot of people that put alot of long hours (years really) into xbmc to make it what it is.

On the other hand, I see this seller charging a fair amount for what he is doing. Using xbmc as a selling point is the whole reason he is doing this in the first place, i bet. If I had to guess, I would say that 99% of xbmc forum members/users purchased an atv/atv2 for the sole reason of using it for xbmc. This guy is doing just that but merely charging for his installation labor and then offering the product to people that might not know what xbmc is yet.

I see this as a positive. I see this as a way to add more people to the "xbmc community".
I'll put my hands up.... I am wrong on this one...
HTPC

Changed my mind, not wrong on this one @-)
HTPC

Funny how times change, I doubt we'd get anyone condoning this behaviour nowadays. The quote "I see this as a positive. I see this as a way to add more people to the "xbmc community"." certainly doesn't ring true anymore Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Somewhat cheeky - Selling apple tv with xbmc for an extra £400