Need help with some doubts for a media server
Greetings , i need to setup a nas/media server that is semi automated in certain tasks running linux .

I was thinking about a synology 1511+ but it's quite expensive for just 5 drives plus not much freedom is something breaks it will be harder to setup rutorrent again and such .

So now i would like to set up a media server instead with linux .

I guess probably would be best to go for something other than a ion / fusion , but kindda stuck finding a board for the system .

Could someone suggest some parts to throw this together ?

I would like to start with 4 drives or so (would like to add another 1-2 drives later plus a ssd drive to run the os on ,

Raid wise most boards have fake raid so it would be best to use mdadm to setup a raid i suppose ?

Probably going with raid 0 or maybe 5 .

Probably will run webmin on it to make my life easier a bit .

So pretty much would like suggestions on what to buy for a good media server .

Motherboard with 6 or 8 sata ports (within the same chipset so i can raid everything together)

Case that can hold 6 to 8 drives (nas style prefered)

Cpu

Psu (with sata connectors for all those drives)

Thank you in advance , love xbmc but it's time to build a dedicated server to make things smoother Smile
Have you looked at unRAID? I'm running two servers now and they work really well.
HP are still doing £100 cashback on their Proliant Microservers in the UK - til the end of November (but they've been extending the offer month-by-month for the last 6 months). Pretty unbeatable for £140 inc VAT
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
I'm from Portugal , i think it will be hard to get one shipped Sad

About unraid , will take a look into it thanks Smile , checked and seems to work with rutorrent and such .

Just need help to figure out the hardware now , something like an i5 or so

Edited

Actually found one in spain for 164 euros , you reckon it's a good deal ?

It supports 4 drives + the Operative System one right ? or is it the operative system plus 3 ? , can't seem to find any non misleading info on it
Ended up ordering a hp proliant , let's see how it will go Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with some doubts for a media server0