[LINUX] Getting PVR functionality working
I could use a little help. I wanted to set up a HTPC that would also act as a PVR to replace my TIVO. It looks like XBMC easily gets me 90% of the way there, but I am having a hard time with that last 10%.

I bought a Zotac ID40+ and installed OpenElec on it, I added the media files from my NAS to XBMC and it was able to play them. I started whipping them into shape with Media Companion and that worked as well, but adding television tuning and PVR functionality is stumping me.

There is a section on the menu that is labelled "TV Guide." I assume that is the front end of the tuner. (I'm quite possibly wrong on that.) I thought it showed some listings once, but those went away. Looking at settings, it appears as if it might be specific to Europe?

Since there is no way to fit a tuner card in the unit, I looked for a USB solution. Reading around, I found a list on Linuxtv.org that extolled the virtues of the ASUS U3100 Mini. I found one on the Internet and ordered it. What came was the ASUS U3100 Mini Plus, which I understand is a different and perhaps inferior tuner.

It did not work as a plug and play. I thought perhaps a full install of Ubuntu would have a wider range of support, so I reformated with Ubuntu and built XBMC on top then tried installing a few of the PVR solutions under the Ubuntu build and never got anywhere. In fact, I made a bigger and bigger mess as things failed. Dependencies were not met and generally, things stopped working as I dug myself into a deeper and deeper pit. Then I tested the tuner on my wife's XP machine and it didn't work there either. It was a lemon.

So at this point, I am willing to get a new tuner, reformat and start over. My questions are:

1. What USB tuner should I get? I'd love a dual-tuner PVR solution.
  2. Should I use OpenElec or install a stripped down version of Ubuntu and build from there? Advantages or disadvantages?
  3. What PVR solution is the best for my application? Any to avoid?
  4. Should I bother trying to extend functionality into gaming or Web browsing? Or is a "clean" HTPC smarter?

I may have more questions later on, but I thought I'd seek some friendly advice before trying to figure it all out on my own again. Thanks in advance for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Getting PVR functionality working0