Flat screen TV back lighting, cleaning up my set up
let me preface this by saying i thought that this would be a best fit (by description) in the OT forum.. but i can't make it there. if it fits here, all the better.

I'm trying to do little things to improve my living room setup, and i've come to the conclusion that i may need to start considering installing a backlight behind my tv. my current set up, as it stands is:

LG 32" LCD-TV model 32LD450 (1080p, 60hz)
Apple TV2
Black Nintendo Wii using Component Vid
Black Samsung HD cable box, provided by TWC
and, the low end of my system.. a Philips HTS3372D/F7 5.1 channel home-theater-in-a-box. (i'm looking to upgrade to a regular 5.1 channel A/V receiver, but i do like how small and inconspicuous the philips speakers are, currently.)

Question 1.) i'd ideally like to wall-mount the TV at about the same height as it is on the stand currently, and have as few cables running to it as possible (flat HDMI for video, and a flat power cable?), but i don't know if it's worth it, or if i should just leave it on the TV stand as is. ideas?

Question 2.) now, i've noticed lately, since i do most of my watching late at night, that my eyes are getting quite strained, and i've read of the benefits of putting a soft back light to give depth to the TV screen. i've thought about building my own USB powered strips, unless i can find something reasonably inexpensive instead. My fears with the DIY LED/USB strips is that i don't know how bright/what color temperature things are going to turn out to be. Does anyone know of another way of achieving this for ~15 bucks or so? i also considered re-wiring a strand of christmas lights, for the effect.

I know, it's a long post, but i appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and respond with a helpful answer. Big Grin
You should search for "ambilight" "ambient lighting" and "boblight".

There are some pretty good threads here about it. Documentation is a bit sparse, and I think it's still for tech-minded folks, but it's really cool.

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:You should search for "ambilight" "ambient lighting" and "boblight".

There are some pretty good threads here about it. Documentation is a bit sparse, and I think it's still for tech-minded folks, but it's really cool.

-Wes

yeah, i have looked into that, and it loks like a great solution.. except my AppleTV can't control it, haha
Sometimes you have to recognize that one machine cannot do it all. Why not build a arduino light with an IR sensor so you could control it via your remote it can even be the same remote for appletv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Flat screen TV back lighting, cleaning up my set up0