Audio Over HDMI Users - Need your Input Please
I lost audio to my system the other night. After playing with the setup for 30 minutes, I got the sound back. Later, I realised that I now have Audio over HDMI (something I couldn't get before and now I can't get optical back)

My question relates to the HDMI handshake (I'm assuming there is such a thing). I've had a couple of movies where the sound drops out. On the receiver, the "Digital Input" light drops out and the "PCM" light comes on. If I skip forward a few seconds, I return to the "Digital Input" light and everything is fine for the rest of the movie? Seems I can't get audio that doesn't have a problem (Optical had momentary audio glitches occasionally)

Could something in the DVD?? cause a loss of the handshake? (So far it has only happened at one point in each movie and after the skip plays fine - always the same point though)

Appreciate the help.

Debug Log
http://pastebin.com/ngsD60XF
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
If you are playing from actuall DVD's I guess the layer change could trigger a slight stop in the bitstream making the receiver lose sync.
HTPC: ZBOX-ID41 running OpenElec with Logitech Harmony remote.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
TV: Samsung UE75ES9005
I did think that perhaps a layer change could cause this, but my videos are all ripped and that removes the layer change? I still think it's weird that it always happens at the same point in the movie - like the rip is bad or something, but I've tested with other players and it plays perfect. I've also re-ripped each movie using different methods and it still does the same thing.

Got me beat!
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Actually, the layer change entry in the IFO files are still there when you rip it unless you tell the decrypter to remove it.

It does however sound strange that a layer change in a DVD image or file structure should cause the problems.

But, at the same time it would explain it happning at the same spot every time you play a disc/image/filestructure.

What you can do to verify if this is the source of the problem is to first note the chapter nubmer and time in the video where the problem presents itself.
Then open the IFO file for the main feature in IFOEdit and look for the entry that ahs Layer Br. listed with it. See if the Pos: field matches the time where you see the problem.
HTPC: ZBOX-ID41 running OpenElec with Logitech Harmony remote.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
TV: Samsung UE75ES9005
ShabbyDog Wrote:Actually, the layer change entry in the IFO files are still there when you rip it unless you tell the decrypter to remove it.

It does however sound strange that a layer change in a DVD image or file structure should cause the problems.

But, at the same time it would explain it happning at the same spot every time you play a disc/image/filestructure.

What you can do to verify if this is the source of the problem is to first note the chapter nubmer and time in the video where the problem presents itself.
Then open the IFO file for the main feature in IFOEdit and look for the entry that ahs Layer Br. listed with it. See if the Pos: field matches the time where you see the problem.

Thx for the good pointers. I did check and I have got the "Remove Layer Break" selected. I will check the IFO file though as well. It's only happened on a couple of movies - the first had seamless branching, so I thought it might be that. Unfortunately, the 2nd and 3rd movie did. Today a TV episode did the same thing.

Not sure I can do any more. I don't understand what the log is saying, and google turns up all sorts of things?? Thx again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Over HDMI Users - Need your Input Please0