New HTPC: A6-3500, Wesena ITX7 build
publicENEMY Wrote:http://www.wesena.com/pro_show.asp?id=196

from what i understand, bluray meant to say that the serener solution is a better solution than wesena. ive seen people(thread) that successfully uses wesena case as htpc, but cant find anything about serener.

i looked into all(almost) fanless solution for htpc. wesena/streacom, atech fabrication, hfx, habey, couple other i forgot.

wesena is one of the better(afaik, none is perfect)
I don't think that I ever said Serener is better than Wesena. All I'm saying is that if you want your case to dissipate heat from CPU, you have to get the proper case (case with heatsink as shown on the Serener case). It have proper kit (heatsink/heat pipes) to connect CPU to the case to transfer/dissipate heat. For standard case, there isn't any heat pipe or any connection between CPU and case shell to allow heat to dissipate heat. The standard case rely on CPU cooler heatsink/fan to transfer/dissipate heat, and draw the heat out through all the little air port holes. If you block all the little air port holes, CPU will more likely overheat. As you can see on the Serener case, there isn't much holes anywhere. Since the heatsink is outside and on top of the case, it dissipate the heat into the air without fan or port hole on the case shell! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Balinus Wrote:Let me chime in the debate about the heat, aluminum and steel.
There is no debate between aluminum and steel cases. With proper case (case with heatsink/heat pipes), it'll transfer/dissipate heat through the case heatsink shell. You're correct that aluminum dissipate heat faster than steel! Smile
bluray Wrote:There is no debate between aluminum and steel cases. With proper case (case with heatsink/heat pipes), it'll transfer/dissipate heat through the case heatsink shell. You're correct that aluminum dissipate heat faster than steel! Smile

oh my bad then! I thought there were some kind of a debate earlier in the thread. Smile
Balinus Wrote:oh my bad then! I thought there were some kind of a debate earlier in the thread. Smile

Yes, there was. I had pointed out that the aluminum Wesena case acted as a passive heatsink to some extent and dissipated more heat than steel cases and there were some here *cough cough bluray* who seemed to be indicating that this is not the case.

Thanks for proving my point, with Math!

Laugh
voip-ninja Wrote:Yes, there was. I had pointed out that the aluminum Wesena case acted as a passive heatsink to some extent and dissipated more heat than steel cases and there were some here *cough cough bluray* who seemed to be indicating that this is not the case.

Thanks for proving my point, with Math!

Laugh
How is the heat from your CPU on motherboard transfer to Wesena case shell? Is there a heat pipe connect the CPU heatsink to the case shell as shown in Serener case? If there is, it's true that aluminum can dissipate heat quicker than steel!
I know that this is balinus thread discussing wesena itx7. but i mistakenly talks about fanless wesena fc8.

i do believe wesena itx7 aluminium chassis plays little role in heat dissipation since there is no direct contact between the cpu and alluminium chassis.

take for example, installing cpu and hsf without thermal paste will result in overheating cpu. the distance between the cpu and hsf is less than 1mm. imagine the a situation where the distance between the cpu(hsf) and the alluminium chassis is couple cm.

the alluminium chassis is for show actually. thermal dissipation technology is wayyy more complex that just alluminium chassis.
nice setup you got there balinus. im currently waiting for my wesena/streacom fc8.
publicENEMY Wrote:nice setup you got there balinus. im currently waiting for my wesena/streacom fc8.

Thanks! Tell us how it goes with the fc8! Which CPU will you get?

publicENEMY Wrote:I know that this is balinus thread discussing wesena itx7. but i mistakenly talks about fanless wesena fc8.

i do believe wesena itx7 aluminium chassis plays little role in heat dissipation since there is no direct contact between the cpu and alluminium chassis.

take for example, installing cpu and hsf without thermal paste will result in overheating cpu. the distance between the cpu and hsf is less than 1mm. imagine the a situation where the distance between the cpu(hsf) and the alluminium chassis is couple cm.

the alluminium chassis is for show actually. thermal dissipation technology is wayyy more complex that just alluminium chassis.

Yes indeed, the air between the HSF and the case is not a good heat conductor. nonethelesss, there's still an unknown % of heat that is dissipated by the case. I admit that I'd be surprised if it is more than 5-10%. Most of the heat is evacuated by the case fan.
publicENEMY Wrote:http://www.wesena.com/pro_show.asp?id=196

from what i understand, bluray meant to say that the serener solution is a better solution than wesena. ive seen people(thread) that successfully uses wesena case as htpc, but cant find anything about serener.

i looked into all(almost) fanless solution for htpc. wesena/streacom, atech fabrication, hfx, habey, couple other i forgot.

wesena is one of the better(afaik, none is perfect)
Fanless chassis are sold under Streacom brand, at least in Europe and in North America. High build quality, one of the best on the market.

Regards
ZW
voip-ninja Wrote:..............
Unlike Kokuro I am pretty happy with the fit and finish of this case and the overall quality. It is better than budget cases and comparing it to $249 Origen M10 seems a bit silly, of course the Origen is better it is 2.5x the cost.
Not exactly. With M10 you have 150W PSU and AC/DC converter.
Add PSU and converter to Wesena and than compare prices.

Regards
ZW
WooT! for A6-3500 ")
hehehe tks for the necromancing Smile
Speaking of the m10, this very similar case is $129+shipping and comes with 120W PSU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251040496096

Except for the facade and different PSU, it is nearly identical to the Origenae m10, even down to where the mounts are on the inside of the case at close to 1/2 the price.
(2011-11-30, 01:20)kokoro Wrote:
voip-ninja Wrote:Thanks for sharing. I see that you ran into the same unfortunate problem of needing to bend the Wesena drive tray in order to clear the HSF of the CPU.

This is really a problem, especially considering that very few people will ever utilize the 3.5" drive rails that make the case have so many cpu/fan clearance problems.

Wesena really need to ditch the 3.5" drive tray altogether which would give another 1.00" of much needed cooler clearance and open the case up to better build options. Or, if they insist on having 3.5" make it OPTIONAL and sell that part for $15 separately.

Hi, I ran into the same problems with my itx7 case, I had to bent the plate so much in order to fit the scythe Kozuti with a 3,5 HDD drive that I couldn't eject my DVd in the DVD drive anymore.
Finally I went for the Gelid Solutions Slim Silence iPlus 28mm high cooler and it fitted perfectly (I still have 3-4 MM clearance between the HSF and the HDD, and not too noisy as well). I think the location of the IR window is bad as well, I've ordered the IR receiver from HD-plex and I couldn't install it because the IR window is too close from the lid. The finishing of the case is very bad as well, it's not brushed aluminium like the origen M10, just black matte paint with irregular color levels and scratches all over the case. You cannot close the case well, the aluminium lid is not perfectly bended and didn't adjust well with the bottom of the case.Confused

Oh, and forgot the fan blades rubbing against the horizontal plate of the chassis, I had to use a piece of cardboard to solve the problem.

Looks like version3 of this case fixes that problem.

http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.co...3-S-04.jpg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC: A6-3500, Wesena ITX7 build0