Android Suggestion: Service for Call and SMS Notifications
Hey guys,

so I just found about this calling notification feature in the xbmc-remote Android app and I really like it since it's pretty cool to see on your TV if you need to pick up now or not *g*.

However this only seems to work when the app is running so I thought: how about an optional Android service (this should be important since it needs battery power, too) which monitors calls and texts all the time and the tries to contact XBMC (then to notify it of the incoming call or text (tries to contact when the call / SMS comes in - this would be more energy-efficient than a constant connection to XBMC) .

This would be really sweet - is something like this possible? I'm no Android pro so I don't know if you can give a service those right and this power.

I am happy about every feedback I get. Smile

Thanks in advance!

//EDIT: Okay, I had a nice chat with TheUni over at #xbmx and he suggested to ship out this service as a different app. While thinking of that I also came up with some ideas to make this service more efficient. You could for example build in a setting which allows you to set the WiFi networks in which the phones has to be logged so that the service runs. This means that the service only monitors your calls and texts if you are at home.
Just to inform you that this is exactly how Yatse works about SMS and Call notifications.

You can just install plugins for each and once registered, you'll have notifications in your Xbmc no need for it to runs or to have widgets.
(2012-08-04, 21:36)Tolriq Wrote: Just to inform you that this is exactly how Yatse works about SMS and Call notifications.

You can just install plugins for each and once registered, you'll have notifications in your Xbmc no need for it to runs or to have widgets.

You, sir, deserve a medal. Thanks for this extremely fast answer - that is just what I searched for. Smile

Consider this problem solved. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggestion: Service for Call and SMS Notifications0