[REQUEST] Orb Client Plugin or Script Addon?
Lightbulb 
http://www.orb.com/

it would be awesome if someone could write an xbmc client to
enable you to log in to orb. orb enables you to not only view your
own media anywhere but also to share it with other users.
add my vote! :bump:
here is a program that is awesome that i would love to be able to use on the xbox.
http://www.orb.com
it uses a simple web interface, but with the lack of a web browser in xbmc, i have no way or using it.
any scripts already out there, or maybe someone know of a way to do it outside xbmc?
rich
I'd like to know if we could integrate Orb(or a similar service) into XBMC. I have been hoping and hoping to see XBMC on an iPad since I saw the iPad, and I'd like to be able access my media collection via a service like Orb from anywhere.

I think if it could be integrated so that it shares my media collection on my PC and I can get to it through my iPad or iPhone on any network that would be an amazing addition because it would expand the limited media space on the iOS devices
Nomar1245: I am doing some research for mycast.orb.com add-in. I haven't written anything yet. If anyone wants to collaborate drop me a pm.
Nomar1245 Wrote:I'd like to know if we could integrate Orb(or a similar service) into XBMC. I have been hoping and hoping to see XBMC on an iPad since I saw the iPad, and I'd like to be able access my media collection via a service like Orb from anywhere.

I think if it could be integrated so that it shares my media collection on my PC and I can get to it through my iPad or iPhone on any network that would be an amazing addition because it would expand the limited media space on the iOS devices

to be honest i think the last thing we need with xbmc is orb...plugins or integrated
orb is/was great (use it every day)but its proprietary service makes me hope for sooooo more.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
notes about orb
1) orb uses ffmpeg with its transcoder im pretty sure. and even with orbs upnp server the orb server application transcodes everything in real time.
2) orb requies you to sign up and sign in.... when there site is down... your down..(some of us have the things nessasary to host a static or dynamic adress for our server)
3) orbs #2 feature for me is transcoding media. the ps3 hates mkvs, in a local lan situation where gigbit equipment can be used, high quality (not original hd... just high)can be attained playing unsupported codecs
4)orb allows you to broadcast files from a directory through upnp... sadly xbmc is limited to only indexed content.

orb cons
1) orb cannot server a upnp file directly... therefore devices that can decode the file nativly are forced to transcode via orb server software(reducation in quality,transcoding mkv avg server load 80% cpu on 3.4 c2d)
2)orb has a backasswards business model and software sceme. v1.0 has a different feature set than 2 or 3 for that matter... depending on what feature you need.. you have to pick a revision
orb "buisness objective pisses me off.. they pulled 3gp streams from there newer products,among other things... forcing users to buy the apps in alot of circumstances. there was no real reason to pull 3gp.... it worked fine..
what if xbmc just dropped support for mkvs... then tried to sell you a mkv player addon for 5 bucks.... ya right..

sadly im looking for a upnp server thats capable of both rendering.. and basic serving. that way files can be played from any device.. weather or not transcoding is nessasary.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
id love to get a chime in on this from a xbmc dev... it seems that xbmc is serving up a media "render" but i cannot invoke it... the normal upnp server sharing method is used like normal... is there a possibility to have xbmc play the media on my main rig. trnascode it on the fly to a stream and output it via upnp?
orbs capture card support is a disaster..some versions support some cards... others support other cards.
if a upnp render could be made to work.. only 1 powerful rig would be needed to stream upnp tv to other clients...
orbs doing nothing special here... and its seems that if xbmc cant do it YET its very capable of it in the future.
im thinking getting it to a mobile would be easy for me from there..

now that i look at it... every device in my "net" has a xbmc upnp renderer showing up.

imagine a "awx" like web interface with maybe 3 stream format options and 3 stream speeds.. very basic..use xbmc to render just like orbs doing...
you would pretty much jack orbs entire userbase in 1 shot...
make a simple dyndns guide for those without statics and your done....
orbs selling a "media box" look at its specs..... lol its pathetic
RYAN03
Hate to bump an old topic, but I think you guys should give Orb another look. I've been using it for several years to stream media to my smartphone, game systems, remote PCs, etc., and it's always worked fine for me. I'm not that interested in using Orb for UPnP, but an Orb addon would be great for streaming over the internet to XBMC when you're on the road. It would be a good alternative to FTP, since it can transcode video as well as serve it. You also don't have to keep track of your IP, and it supports live video streams (TV cards, Webcams).

The Orb MyCast mobile interface has pretty much everything available to the Orb platform in it, all in a plain HTML layout which should be easy to deal with:
http://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/index.html?format=large

Image Image Image Image Image

Some notes about Orb via the mobile MyCast website:
  • ASX/WMV is probably the best of the codec choices to use (from a Windows host, at least). It looks pretty good and supports seeking.
  • The number before the file name in Orb media links is the starting position in milliseconds, which is what Orb uses in "Resume" links.
  • The bit rate can be set manually or automatically right from the main Settings page.
  • You can skip transcoding your media and just do a straight download by going to "More" and then "Download".
  • "Recently Added" is perfect for DVR content and podcasts.
  • Orb features its own "library" with MP3 tag-based music organizing (Artist, Album, Genre, etc).
  • Internet TV and Music Services are large repositories of (mostly working) live media streams.

If I knew Python, I'd probably try to make the addon myself. I think it would definitely be useful.
I have had a simple script that will log-in and browse through the file browser. It only supports videos and is really basic. I haven't had much time to work on improving it.

It needs to be updated to support live tv streams. It will play them though. It just doesn't scrape them properly right now.

It has 2 options to transcode or stream. The transcode will use the wmv transcoding. I am working on adding the flv transcoding. It can also stream things in original quality using the "download" feature of the site.

I was hoping to flesh is out into something better. It works to stream content remotely though. I have kinda lost motivation because orb isn't trying to improve mycast anymore. they are focusing on the puck things. I want h264 trans-coding for the website but they still haven't added support for it. They already use h264 for streaming to other platforms.

I am not sure I have time to put into it right now. If anyone is interested in trying to develop it more then drop me a line.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Orb Client Plugin or Script Addon?0