[mac] - failed to initialize audio device
After upgrading to os x lion from snow leopard I got error message "failed to initialize audio device" serval times when play a movie. The only solution is to reboot the mac mini (mid 2010).

If I just quit and try play music through spotify it works fine. The issue just affect xbmc.

Anyone got any idea how to try solve this annoying thing?

//yabbah
yabbah Wrote:After upgrading to os x lion from snow leopard I got error message "failed to initialize audio device" serval times when play a movie. The only solution is to reboot the mac mini (mid 2010).

If I just quit and try play music through spotify it works fine. The issue just affect xbmc.

Anyone got any idea how to try solve this annoying thing?

//yabbah

move back to snow leopard.
davilla Wrote:move back to snow leopard.

That was a great solution. But I wont. I can use
Plex or boxee instead, they dont give me those errors Tongue
It does it all the time in snow leopard for me as well, its not a lion issue.

I just sort of live with it.
In case anyones interested I delved a little deeper.

I get this issue in one of two scenarios. Leaving a 5.1 audio movie. Or when there is a transition, say a 5.1 TV show that chops to a stereo credits and back to 5.1.

Whats happening is to do with core audio. XBMC usually crashes and if you open activity monitor and find the coreaudio and force quit it, then relaunch XBMC your sound is back. Or you have to reboot the mac.

Nothing else on the mac causes core audio to crash only XBMC and furthermore it does it with nightlies for me as well.
The latest updates for Snow Leopard 10.6.10 fixed the audio issue, under Lion it still seems to exist.
10.6.8 is the current update for Leopard, even under appleseed you would only be looking at 10.6.9

10.6.8 does not fix the issue for me.
I just moved to osx 10.7.2 and I got this issue.
is there a solution?
thanx a lot
so XBMC doesn't work under lion yet? I mean with the digital audio? :-(
You are not alone, but it seems to be sporadic, and not discussed!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115843
garyi Wrote:You are not alone, but it seems to be sporadic, and not discussed!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115843

I had the same trouble with 10.6.8 upgrade, and I installed the previous version of AppleHDA.kext... but I was hoping that after 6 months this problem was solved :-(
Tomorrow I'll try to do the same procedure, just I don't know if this driver is still compatible :-(
All these posts and not one xbmc.log or crashreporter log posted to a pastebin site. What do I have to do... beg Smile

FYI, I just spent the last two days trouble shooting display refresh adjust under 10.6.8 with HDMI to a Denon AVR-1912 running passthough. It never once failed to init the audio device. What can I say... if we can't reproduce, we can't fix it.
davilla Wrote:All these posts and not one xbmc.log or crashreporter log posted to a pastebin site. What do I have to do... beg Smile

you are totally right!
the log is here
http://pastebin.com/0PqcvWyG

first trial: movie with audio 2.0, all OK
second trial: movie with audio 5.1, all ok
third trial: same movie at step 1, and as expected audio device problem.

It happens every time after a multichannel is played, it would be the same if at point 3 there was another 5,1 or dts

thank you!
anything in syslog ?
I would like to add that I have some issues with HDMI/XBMC/multichannel sound too. It may be the same thing as is causing gatto_mannaro problems. I haven't insisted on it since I found a workaround, though I do feel it should be fixed.

Issue: After playing 5.1 audio content, something happens with the audio device and audio no longer is sent via HDMI to my receiver. Restarting XBMC resumes HDMI audio functionality.

Workaround: Setting the audio device in XBMC to "HDMI" instead of the default value of "system default device". This workaround let's XBMC continue to send audio from movies and series through the HDMI device, but I can still notice something is amiss since the menu/skin sounds in XBMC stop going through the HDMI device and instead play using the Mac Mini's internal speaker.

My system is the latest Mac Mini of 2011 with AMD GPU and OSX 10.7.2, HDMI to a Denon AVR 2808. I can provide a xbmc.log from my setup tomorrow after some needed sleep on my part. Unless you can find what you need in the logs I posted in this thread about the automatic refresh rate.

EDIT: I created this ticket 5 weeks ago concerning this issue, but I have not looked at it, or updated it since.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[mac] - failed to initialize audio device0