[mac] - failed to initialize audio device
davilla Wrote:How do you have xbmc's audio setup ? also video and what display device.

What do you want to know exactly?
render: automatic
VDA decoder on
Refresh freq regulation : ON
sync off
post processing off

then full screen
1920x1080
empty other screens off
vertical blanc always on

audio output: optical/coax
configuration 5.1
AC3 on
dts on
defaul output device

that's all
I'll be back in a couple of days, so I can't do to other trials now
thank you!
gatto_mannaro Wrote:audio output: optical/coax
configuration 5.1
AC3 on
dts on
default output device

Change 'default output device' to 'built-in output' and see what that does. Mine wanted that.
davilla Wrote:Change 'default output device' to 'built-in output' and see what that does. Mine wanted that.

great!!! it works again perfectly!!! thank you a lot!
there is still a bug in lion, but I'll write about that in another thread
gm
Aonoa Wrote:I found a workaround, though I do feel it should be fixed. [...]
Workaround: Setting the audio device in XBMC to "HDMI" instead of the default value of "system default device". This workaround let's XBMC continue to send audio from movies and series through the HDMI device[...]

Thanks Aonoa! This workaround also helps in my case, which is very similar:
I use SPDif (Toslink) to output 5.1 audio of AAC M4V videos and got the driver error each time after I stopped the movie (pressed stop once or started another movie while a 5.1 movie was still running). Setting device fixed to Build-In instead of default.

PS: seems like XBMC transcodes to DD5.1 and does not pass-thru the 5.1 AAC signal? Could not find a switch... Maybe MacOS does not allow to sent passthru via optical audio out?
try the test build here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=973...tcount=125
davilla Wrote:try the test build here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=973...tcount=125

Hi Davilla,

Thanks, but that test build still has the 'failed to initialize audio device' error when using 'Default Output Device'.
Bitten by this bug as well, with the release version of Eden. Seems to be specific to a 'Stereo' source via optical out. If you stop one prior to the movie completing, the audio stops working. If you quit XBMC and then relaunch, the audio is fine again. I only started noticing this when I started watching some older stereo only TV shows.

Sources are all Stereo AAC
Eden 11.0
Optical Out via TOSLINK

If this is already a known issue and a fix planned just let me know. Otherwise I can attach some logs and assist in debugging.

I did find that for some reason it had switched my audio settings to Analog for some reason. I set it back to Optical and Built-In Output as I saw suggested earlier in the thread. Will see if this resolve it.
Did you configure your speaker setup in osx midi-setup to fit your speakers?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This is via a digital optical cable so that you can't configure the speakers for more than stereo. It seems to be fine now that I reconfigured the audio settings back to use the system default. I'm not sure why it change when I upgraded to Eden but it seems fine now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[mac] - failed to initialize audio device0