Copy from one external HDD to other external HDD
My Asrock 330 has a 2TB harddisk attached. I can't easily reach the hdd and I want to copy a large volume of data to my pc, this takes ages as I use powerline ethernet.

I can however plugin another USB HDD and do a copy but don't know how to do that in linux, can someone help me out?

folder name is \photos, I guess I should somehow get the linux equivalent of both drive letters and some command?
rsync is the perfect tool for this job. It will only copy the differences, so you can stop and start it, or use it to sync new changes across.

Linux doesn't have drive letters, just directory paths. You can check where volumes are mounted by running the "mount" command.

So, an example rsync command would look like this:

$ rsync -avz /path/to/source /path/to/destination

($ is the prompt, don't type that). Obviously you need to figure out the source/destination paths.
Thanks, using this and google I'll get it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
If I understand you right you're talking about a one time copy job? In such case nvm Rsync, it's for other stuff.

I also assume you run Live on the Asrock and that the command line environment gives you a headache.

If above is correct, then I'd suggest booting a live Linux OS from a CD or USB and do the copy job in GUI based environment.

A simple way to get there may be to just download and burn/create a bootable USB with Ultimate Boot CD which among other things contain a slim but pretty much full Linux OS (via Parted Magic). Alternatively to go straight for Parted Magic.

Given that you're only going to do some very basic operations, I'd say the risk of running into any driver etc issues is close to nil, since you won't really need much any drivers, not even NIC-driver.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Yes, thx! Why didnt i think of that Blush This is why I like this forum! Not trying to copy a whole partition though, but part of the files. Gui would def. make that easier.

Orclas Wrote:If above is correct, then I'd suggest booting a live Linux OS from a CD or USB and do the copy job in GUI based environment.
actually xbmc has a filemanager, so you can do it from within XBMC Wink
kees667 Wrote:Yes, thx! Why didnt i think of that Blush This is why I like this forum! Not trying to copy a whole partition though, but part of the files. Gui would def. make that easier.

Never mind the the parted magic part of it, what you're after is the GUI OS and file management that comes with running it. It's like any windows style OS, like the mainstream Linux distros and Windows itself, so even if you've never touched Linux before you'll feel like "ah well, it's almost like MS Windows". Only hurdle might be to navigate the dev-this, dev-that part of it Rolleyes

wsnipex Wrote:actually xbmc has a filemanager, so you can do it from within XBMC Wink

LOL that's true! Oo

Never used it, so never thought about it. Should be graphical enough UI for command line shy folks like me and kees.

Kees: Either just go to Filemanager via remote arrow right when parked on System or hook up a mouse (if you don't have it already and in such case activate mouse in the sys/input menu) and right click the little arrow under System (pardon if I state for you obvious stuff).

I just tested it, then you just navigate to source directory in one half of the screen, target directory in the other (you might need to do something in the direction of add folder to see either or both of the drives in the FM, separate process from adding directories to Video, Music etc methinks) right click the folder, choose copy, confirm and tadaa!!

In case you feel like you should take some time in the n00b corner, I'll join you Cool

Besides, now you'll never forget about UBCD and such. It has helped me many a time to be able to do things via a live Linux environment. Besides, if you ever need to change around partitions, Parted Magic is da poop. Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copy from one external HDD to other external HDD0